Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Searching for surgeon - OH  (Read 846 times)

Offline oilersgirl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Searching for surgeon - OH
« on: October 05, 2010, 07:20:33 PM »
I am a new member to this board but (unfortunately) an old member of the messed up knees club.

After a partial medial meniscetomy and failed lateral release 2 years ago, Hyalgan injections last year and this year, and being told that I needed bilateral TKR, I found a surgeon who has given me hope that I might be able to get some relief without TKR.  He is talking about doing a Fulkerson osteotomy.  As a medical professional, I understand the commitment this takes on both of our parts, and although I really like this surgeon, he is about 80 miles away, which is not conducive to easy follow up when I might not have someone to drive me some days.

I am halfway between Cleveland and Columbus, OH, and have not been able to find an orthopedist in this area who has the capability of doing this surgery.  Been to American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons and American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons websites, called the offices associated with AAOS and AAHKS, and they can't give me any names because they do not track what surgeons do what procedures.  NOT LOOKING FOR ENDORSEMENTS but looking to find a surgeon who may perform this particular procedure in my area, with whom I can consult.

Any suggestions appreciated - THANKS!

Offline debbieo

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Able to will brain energy into muscles and limbs
Re: Searching for surgeon - OH
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 08:26:18 PM »
Consider posting this on the TKR board also.
Wonder Woman
tkr 9.14.09  tibia fracture 04
As Lovely as Aphrodite—as Wise as Athena and the strength of Hercules—she is known only as Wonder Woman, but who she is, or whence she came, nobody knows!  
I WILL NOT BE DEFINED BY WHAT I CAN NOT DO!
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=48797.0

Offline oilersgirl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 08:39:02 PM »
Hi, Wonder Woman!

Thanks for the quick reply...but I am "knowledge deficient" in that I don't know where to find a link to the TKR boards.   ???

I did find the list of OH surgeons in the information hub on this list...none near me, though.

Would you mind letting me know what the link is or where I can join that board?

Thanks so much!
Oilersgirl

Offline debbieo

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Able to will brain energy into muscles and limbs
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 05:34:29 PM »
:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?board=37.0

You will see the word arthroplasty. It is listed under knee arthritis.

I see this clinic mentioned often and the name Dr Noyes. Try the kneegeek search engine for either.

http://www.cincinnatisportsmed.com/

I also see the Cleveland Clinic --try kneegeek search engine-mentioned. If you read the strings associated with the Cleveland Clinic you will probably find a Dr name.

I am sorry I am "location"  deficient  ;D ;)---so I am not sure if any of the above are near you.

I searched high and low for the "right" OS for me. I think Knowledge is a powerful tool. 
I choose a Dr that was about 30 miles away from home. It wasn't --I live in Atlanta. 30 miles is not unusual. If I remember correctly--there was a visit for stitches removed. 6 week visit, three month-six month and one year. If you read some some of the strings in the tkr section--you might come up with a fairly accurate time line. I did not have PT at the hospital --in Atlanta. But I did interview PTers in my area before the surgery. .

Good luck on your search!!
Wonder Woman
tkr 9.14.09  tibia fracture 04
As Lovely as Aphrodite—as Wise as Athena and the strength of Hercules—she is known only as Wonder Woman, but who she is, or whence she came, nobody knows!  
I WILL NOT BE DEFINED BY WHAT I CAN NOT DO!
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=48797.0

Offline pats31

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 06:20:46 PM »
Hi, I have a recommendation. I just got knee surgery by Dr. Chris Kaeding at Ohio State. He is the head team physician here as well as the co head of the sports med department and deals with the athletes here that need surgery, but also people from outside the school. Knees are his specialty! And he really takes his time explaining everything and if he thinks that someone else would be better equipped for the surgery he will let you know. He has seen some pretty messed up knees because he does all the knee surgeries on the football guys. I would call and set up and appointment with him.

Offline oilersgirl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 06:35:32 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations!

I've been a hockey goalie for 20+ years, and while I was in junior high high school, I played catcher on the softball teams...So, I guess I qualify as an "old" athlete...or at least "former" since I had to give up any serious competing, training, workout, etc...

The Cleveland Clinic has some good surgeons - I used to work there! - but I've seen 3 and gotten 3 different opinions.  The second one, the one who did my surgery, was not able to fix the problem.  In fact, post op, my left kneecap is so lateral, the last guy I saw said he would be able to dislocate it if not for all the scar tissue.  I get my MRI and see him again on Wednesday.

The surgeon at OSU is about the same distance away from me, and I know they have a strong ortho department, too.  And I believe when my insurance changes in January, they are in the new network.  Sounds like I can check them out.  Thank you for the recommendations.

I have another question to post about "alignment" problems.  Will change topics and post.

Thanks for all the help and encouragement!
Liz

support