Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: MACI following failed microfracture (UK)  (Read 30005 times)

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
Re: MACI following failed microfracture (UK)
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2014, 09:41:45 AM »
Had my 4 year post op check this month.

I can crawl like I used to and now that our girls are both walking we get out as much as possible with them.

I've still not been swimming, although we are considering taking the girls soon. I've had some issues with my SI joint due to complications from child birth which have led to a few niggles in the knee, but on the whole it's doing really well. It's a little tender in the joint, but there's no fluid build-up, so hopefully it will settle. It's always in the back of my mind that I'm wearing out another hole in the cartilage, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Prof Briggs is happy with the knee which is a good thing and my next check-up is in a years time.
Jul 1994: Arthroscopy R: torn medial ligament
Mar 2000: Arthroscopy R: torn cartilage
Aug 2004: Arthroscopy R: microfracture
Feb 2010: Arthroscopy R: microfracture (failed)
Aug 2010: Stage 1 MACI
Sep 2010: Stage 2 MACI (eek)

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2015, 10:35:14 AM »
Well, I've just sailed through my 5 year check-up!

I ended up having a steroid injection in my right SI joint a year ago and it's caused no problems with my knee since.

I occasionally get a build up of scar tissue around one of the keyhole scars, but a good massage over a few days and it's as good as normal again.

The good thing is my knee is still stable and long may it continue!

Back off to Prof Briggs again this time next year :)

One happy mamma, I can't imagine what life would be like if I hadn't had this done.

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2020, 11:25:53 AM »
I thought I'd just pop back on and give everyone an update! I'm now heading to 10 years post-op, and doing great!

I can run, walk, swim and crawl which I never thought would be possible 10 years ago. I still have the occasional twinge which makes me doubt myself, but generally, it's all doing so well. Last Summer I had my second steroid injection in my right SI joint which took a while to settle, but is all good now too (the next one is already scheduled for 3-4 years time!).

I've never been in any doubt whether going through all of this was worth it, and now I'm on the sunny side and proud of the story that all my scars tell.

support