Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: MACI following failed microfracture (UK)  (Read 32596 times)

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
Re: MACI following failed microfracture (UK)
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2010, 06:19:37 PM »
Week 10 mid week update
Week 10 sees a visit back to Prof Briggs mid week. Hopefully heíll be happy with my progress tomorrow. Iím still wearing a tubi almost full time, but I have a posh works do on 7th January and I want to wear a dress so I need to start getting used to life without it! I want to wear heels too, so I hope Iím not setting my hopes too high!

I had to cancel physio this week because of the snow, so now that itís gone, itíll be all systems go again. My knee does not like the snow and Iíve slipped a couple of times and kept everything crossed, but the strong twinges settle quickly, so hopefully all is still okay.

Iíve been getting a rising number of electrical shock pains along the scar in the past two weeks. The only good side to them seems to be that I have a smaller numb spot on my knee. Something to talk to Prof Briggs over. . .
Jul 1994: Arthroscopy R: torn medial ligament
Mar 2000: Arthroscopy R: torn cartilage
Aug 2004: Arthroscopy R: microfracture
Feb 2010: Arthroscopy R: microfracture (failed)
Aug 2010: Stage 1 MACI
Sep 2010: Stage 2 MACI (eek)

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2011, 02:02:48 PM »
Week 10 update
Saw Prof Briggs and heís pretty happy with my movement (up to about 95% now) and pain levels, so next visit is 3 months away!

Weeks 11-12
Iíve dropped the pain relief right down to nothing now, and only take a couple of paracetamol when I need to which is fantastic. Iím a much happier bunny now and hubbie gets to see it to, so heís getting some relief from all the chores.

Weeks 13-14
I dropped the tubi at the start of week 13 and my leg felt a little wobbly and unprotected for the first couple of days, but after that Iíve not looked back. Itís only gone on for trips into town which have been few and far between, but Iím getting there. Physio is coming along well, but Iím still not driving or climbing up stairs properly :( - Iíll get there one day!

The cycling is improving slowly and I now have some resistance for the whole time Iím cycling. Iím walking without sticks or crutches now and only use a walking stick for distance. Iíve managed to walk a grand distance of just over half a mile with a stick, and Iím looking to increase that slowly, then drop the stick completely over the next few months.

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2011, 02:00:03 PM »
Week 15
First week of the New Year and Iím recovering from flu, so Iíve not done much exercises which has hurt my progress. We had our annual Office meeting and ended off down the nightclub afterwards. I didnít do any dancing, but being on your feet most of the day is not great for a weakened leg.

Weeks 16-18
Iíve had tonsillitis this week - really not doing well here. On the plus side, Iíve managed to walk up stairs properly for the first time in over 13 months!

Being able to walk upstairs normally (ish) has made a real difference to the progress Iím making now.  I am able to walk a lot further without a walking stick now (about 1/3 mile) and itís getting a little bit more each time I go out.

I sat in the car for the first time in over 13 months too at the weekend and tried a few stamps on the brake. It only hurts a little and the pain doesnít last, so hopefully Iíll be able to start driving in the next couple of weeks. I dread to think what my driving awareness and hazard perception is like!

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2011, 01:42:16 PM »
Week 19
OMG! I drove! I only managed 10 minutes, but itís more than Iíve done in over a year. When I got out of the car, my leg just completely gave way, but a few small paces, and it was okay again. It just aches like it does when I do a lot of exercises.

Week 20
Iíve driven twice this week, and Iím now up to 5 miles in the car (that does sound really bad doesnít it?). Iím slowly building it up, so Iím sure itíll be okay soon. Exercises are coming along really well too now. Iíve started doing squats and calf rises this week with the physio and theyíll really help with the driving and walking. I can now walk Ĺ mile without a stick now and at last my speed is getting up to somewhere near where it used to be. I donít feel like Iím being overtaken my old folk anymore which makes me happy.

Week 21
Really big update for me this week. My physio has decided that Iím doing so well, Iím now being moved to once every other week. Fingers crossed, itíll be gym work soon.

Week 23
Iím driving every Friday now, and Iím up to just over 20 miles over the course of the day (to and from work). I still canít drive all the way (itís an 80 mile round trip), but Iím getting there. Exercises have stalled slightly and it turns out to be the level of scar tissue, so a quick blast of ultrasound and some deep massaging lies ahead of me. . . (and itís painful!)

Week 24
The extra massaging is causing the nerve regeneration to go into overdrive! I suppose itís a good thing, but boy is it distracting. At least the bonus is that the scar tissue is clearly starting to break down and go a little bit squidgier.

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2011, 01:49:34 PM »
Week 25
Had my last physio session at the hospital this week - Iím now progressing to Gym physio. Itíll be hard work all over again, but I know itís going to be worth it. Saw Prof Briggs for my 6 month check-up on Wednesday and passed with flying colours. I have full range of movement (but I swear itís still about 98 %!). I have no tenderness along the scar, and the added bonus is that Iíve only had 2 paracetamol since January.

Iím up to walking a mile unaided now, and Iíve been told to Ďget on my bikeí - Cheers Briggs! Seriously though, now that the weather is improving, Iím going to be getting on the exercise bike every day to build up the conditioning that I need to head out doors. My bike may be overdue a service though (but must not make excuses!).

Offline Catsmum

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2011, 08:28:07 PM »
Hi Skittle

Thanks for posting such a helpful post op diary. I am about to embark on stage 2 of MACI/ACI and it's very reassuring to know that you are doing so well at the 6 month stage. I hope you continue to progress and wish you all the best for the cycling!

Catsmum

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2011, 01:46:20 PM »
Hi catsmum,

Sorry it's been a while since I've been on here. I'm glad you've found this useful. When I started out writing, I didn't want it to be a 'pretty-pretty' blog, because this type of surgery just isn't like that. It's hard work, darn painful and stressful, but I'm at 34 weeks today, and I can safely say it's been worth it.

Keep positive!

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2011, 01:49:17 PM »
Week 34
Itís been a while since Iíve updated everything on here, so a quick update on how things have been going in the past 9 weeks. I have a new physio now who has completely shaken up my routine which is has made my progress come on leaps and bounds and Iím now starting to get some muscle definition back to my quads. Weíve been working on balance and core muscles for over a month now and itís really starting to show.

My walking has come on leaps and bounds and I can now easily walk over a mile a day, Iím cycling for 30 minutes a time (once or twice a week because Iím lazy) and Iíve finally convinced my hubbie to take me swimming once a week now too.

We first went swimming last week and from what Iíd read from other blogs I was expecting a fair bit of nerve regeneration pain in the pool, which made me quite nervous. However, I was pleasantly surprised that this didnít happen. I was chuffed that I thought Iíd got away with it, but on the way home I had the biggest shoot of pain Iíd had for a long time - thankfully I wasnít driving! Iíve had a few spikes since, but nothing as strong as that one.

Iíve still got two numb patches next to the scar line, but they are now smaller and I know that with every bit of pain I get, it will get smaller. I doubt it will completely go, but I can walk and Iím not in masses of pain every day, so itís a small price to pay for being able to live a relatively normal life again.

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2011, 09:13:12 AM »
8 1/2 months down the line and a quick update . . .

I'm off on my first holiday in two years! Dead excited though so I just thought I'd share it with you all. I've packed a knee support which I really hope is going along for the ride along with walking poles and a pack of paracetamol. Can't see anything else should be needed.

yippee!  8)

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2011, 10:03:11 PM »
Back from my hols!
Another quick update - just got back from Tenby, weather was great all week, just a tad on the windy side! My knee doesnít do high winds but I guess thatís just down to the lack of overall strength still in my leg. Iíve been walking over 5 miles a day and swimming every evening as well. The one thing I have noticed from swimming is that my scar itches afterwards and I get a lot more knee regeneration spikes in the few hours after getting out of the pool.

The good news though was that the knee supports went along for the ride and I only needed 1 paracetamol all week - Iím so chuffed with that, but back to the grind of work tomorrow.

Iím coming up on 9 months post op soon, so Iíll give an overall update of how I think things are going shortly.

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2011, 01:57:46 PM »
Week 52!
Yeah Ė got to a whole year down the line. Sorry for the lack of update at 9 months, things have been a little crazy at home, but Iíve gradually been getting more and more done at physio and am down to a session every 3-4 weeks. My swimming is coming on a treat and Iím now up to a mile a time (it takes about 50 minutes, so not quite back to my old speed just yet). The swimming has helped with the nerve regeneration as well, and my numb spots are gradually getting smaller, although I know theyíll never completely go.

My knee now copes with high wind but my leg is still a bit smaller than the other. Iím walking a lot more and over more difficult terrain (i.e. not flat!) and stairs are a doddle, even when I visit castles. My cycling is coming along nicely although Iíll never be a high standard.

Iíve also found that I now hate the sensation I get kneeling down and find it really hard to want to put weight on my right knee, but I try it every week in the hope that Iíll get more used to it.

I still get twinges across my knee and it occasionally locks, but itís usually a sign that Iím about to overdo things so Iíll stop (and get bored doing next to nothing for the rest of the day).

I have my 1 year check-up with Prof Briggs tomorrow evening, so weíll see what he has to say.

Update
Well Iíve seen Prof Briggs now and heís really pleased with my scar and movement. Iíve still got a bit of pain deep in the knee, but other than that, Iíve been given free rein to do pretty much what I want and go back in 12 monthsí time.

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2012, 02:02:19 PM »
Another update . . .

'Free rein to do what I want' - That clearly went down well - We're expecting twins at the start of August!  :o

I've had a few niggly pains around my knee and right hip, but my physio has given me some simple excercies and now they don't hurt again. I'll see how I get on over the next 5 or so months, but so far, the knee is holding up with two little ones on board.  ;D

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2012, 12:44:13 PM »
The twins arrived 7 1/2 weeks early in the end (they're 9 weeks old today). My knee coped incredibly well during pregnancy with the added weight, but I've had to start exercises again almost from scratch since they were born. It's a lot better now, but still locks out occasionally although I have the added bonus that I can kneel without too much discomfort. Not sure when that happened, but I'm not complaining!

Got my 2 year checkup at the end of September, so hopefully I'll be back to pre-pregnancy progress by then with 2 little identical girls to go with it.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 12:47:45 PM by skittle »

Offline sune

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2012, 11:13:05 AM »
Hi Skittle.

I'd love to know how much sports you are able to do now, as opposed to before.
I am waiting for a patella MACI+TTT also, my reason is I am not able to do any sports (recreational biking would be enough for me, just want to get my pulse up) or walking for more than about 2km at a time.

Sune
1999: Chondral lesion on medial patellar facet. Synovium changes, grade II degeneration of neighbouring cartilage. Debridement (shaving) and lavage.
2009: 2nd arthroscopy,† debridement (shaving) and lavage.
2010: steroid injections
2012: MACI (2 patella, 1 trochlea)+Fulkerson+Lateral release

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2013, 04:52:20 PM »
Had my three year post op check-up this week and passed with flying colours.

We took our girls (now 15 months old) to meet Prof Briggs and he was amazed how busy I have been. I do a lot of crawling and walking with them now and as they get older, I should be able to increase this. I've not been swimming in a LONG time, but hopefully I'll have the energy to get to the pool one day. . . Twins are quite hard continual work!

As for my knee, it occasionally locks or feels like it catches on something, but it is usually a sign that I need to do some exercises. A few days later and its business as usual again. I do worry about getting another hole in my cartilage and having to go through the whole process again, but fingers crossed it seems to be going well!

support