Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: MACI following failed microfracture (UK)  (Read 32580 times)

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
Re: MACI following failed microfracture (UK)
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2010, 08:26:33 AM »
Monday 18th October - Back to work

I slept a lot more on my side last night, so hopefully itíll be a lot easier when I lose the brace at nights too. Mornings have become a far more efficient machine now and weíre getting into a routine (which may be thrown into chaos next week if I decide to try for an office visit!).

Work is busy playing catch-up, but Iíll get there. Iím still making time to get my exercises done which is important. I can see my diary taking a bit of a back seat from now on, but Iíll still try and update everyone at least weekly for a while.

A full day at work wore me out more than I expected and I was asleep on the sofa (sans brace!) when he got home. Managed to eat at the table (my temporary office) again which was good, so hopefully Iíve taken one more step back to normality. For some reason this evening, we also decided to measure my scar too. I always presumed it would be 4 inches, but it is a chunk smaller. Itís only 8cm (just over 3 inches). About half the scabs have fallen off now, and itís looking good.
Jul 1994: Arthroscopy R: torn medial ligament
Mar 2000: Arthroscopy R: torn cartilage
Aug 2004: Arthroscopy R: microfracture
Feb 2010: Arthroscopy R: microfracture (failed)
Aug 2010: Stage 1 MACI
Sep 2010: Stage 2 MACI (eek)

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2010, 08:03:21 AM »
Tuesday 19th October - Physio session 4

Iíve a day off work today to use up my holiday before the end of the year. Iíve physio this afternoon and mummy is coming over today as well to be chauffeur. She ended up being housemaid to cleaning the bathroom and kitchen which was fantastic. Physio went really well. I got forced to lie on my front today but managed a ROM of 110 with it. Flexing on my front I have ROM of 90 which was what I need for when I see Prof Briggs in just over 1 week. As far as flexing goes, Iím slightly ahead of schedule, but my muscles are still quite weak. My aim for next physio session is an SLR completely unassisted!† Iíve met every challenge my physio has thrown at me so far, but this is going to be my toughest yet.

On a downside, I found out today that Iím not getting hydro therapy until Iím weight bearing just in case I lose my balance or slip. Itís just to safeguard the graft, but itís a little disappointing none the less.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 09:05:43 AM by skittle »

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2010, 09:04:54 AM »
Double update today

Wednesday 20th October - Day 26

A busy day at the Ďofficeí today, but I made the mistake of putting my leg up on one of the dining room chairs. Getting up was not the problem, but getting the leg back down was. A few twinges followed and it remained sore all evening. On the plus side, I only had 1 Tramadol today.

Thursday 21st October

Slept okay considering how much I ached yesterday evening, but this morning it has all but settled back down. Itís now just toes and heels that are sore. This morning it was a little bit noisy next door and outside. It didnít bother me last week, but then I wasnít working. I ended up being picked up and taken into the office in the afternoon. I got to catch up with people I hadnít seen for five weeks, so it was good socially as well.

Drugs wise, for the past two days Iíve had a full daily dose of diclofenac sodium, 6 paracetamol and 1 Tramadol. Pain wise, itís starting to feel good again.

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2010, 06:29:14 PM »
Double update again

Friday 22nd October - Red Foot Day

My toes are still sore this morning, so off came the DVT prevention sock to reveal a red, hot and swollen foot and toes. Going back to working this week, Iíve been sat with both legs down for a large chunk of the day . . . so hubbie has now sorted out a box for me to rest on which elevates my leg by about a foot, and Iíll try and take more breaks. Naughty me.

However, work is now starting to pile on jobs for me whilst Iím working at home. Itíll make me busier and I fear I wonít get the time to get exercises done during the day.

I managed to cook most of dinner tonight which meant that hubbie didnít have to do that much and could enjoy his Friday night wine. I canít wait to get off the Tramadol so that I can join him again. I only had one again today, so I donít think it will be too long. Cooking was a big bonus of my day, but it was also the first day I decided to sleep without my brace on.

Saturday 23rd October - 4 weeks and a day

I slept pretty well considering I didnít have my brace on, and itís given me a big uplift. My foot is also a lot better today. Itís still red and warm, but nowhere near as bad as yesterday. Lesson learned - I must elevate more!

We had a family birthday party today, which meant a bundle in the back of the car and lots of kiddies running around - brace time. I lasted surprisingly well considering what my foot was like yesterday. I was doing okay as I had my foot elevated most of the day and I managed to get all my exercises done.

I was having such a good day I was looking forward to not only sleeping without my brace but not having to take any Tramadol either. However, once I got upstairs to bed it just ached so much I gave in.

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2010, 11:07:22 AM »
Sunday 24th October - Big Sleep

Other than my usual waking at 1.30 and 4.30, I woke at 7, then after 9. Considering I went to bed just after 10 last night, that was a real big sleep. I guess I just donít have my party feet on yet!

Iíve been really pushing my exercises today as I need to be able to do a straight leg raise by next Tuesday when I see the physio again. Today I managed my first one! Okay my quad quivers like thereís no tomorrow, but Iíve managed it and things can only get better.

Monday 25th October

I had a rough night last night waking every 3 hours as normal. I wish I could get into a longer routine, but my body just doesnít want to. Whenever I woke up my knee ached, so I did a few flexes before settling back down. Iím reluctant to put the brace back on at night and this was my third night in a row without it, and the last thing I want to do is increase the pain relief either. I was hoping to cut out the Tramadol and just stick to paracetamol, but knee has other plans at the moment.

Managed all my exercises today and the straight leg raises are coming along nicely. My plan tonight is to go without the Tramadol, so Iíve upped the paracetamol to its max and weíll give it a go.

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2010, 02:13:52 PM »
Tuesday 26th October - Physio session 5

Sleeping without Tramadol didnít quite go to plan, and not only did I toss and turn, my knee ached so much this morning, so I gave in when I woke up this morning. Iíve got my last physio session before I see Prof Briggs tomorrow evening.

I got worked really hard at physio and managed a whole heap of exercises. Iíve been given some slightly more advanced ones and weíll see what Prof Briggs says tomorrow night before moving on to the next stage.

Wednesday 27th October - Post surgery Check-up

Work, work, work, work, work. Thatís pretty much been my day. Iíve had meetings galore, which enable me to sit with my leg up and do all my exercises. My SLRís are coming along well now, which will help when I can start weight-bearing.

Got stuck on the M25 getting to Watford this evening to see Prof Briggs. We managed to get there with about 4 minutes to spare only to be told Ďheís not here yetí. . . Anyway, once he arrived, he whizzed through the backlog and soon I was hopping in to see him. Heís well pleased with the scar and I even managed to get ROM of 120! He had a go about me turning up with my brace in hand (Iím only using it to travel and in public now), and said I shouldnít need it at all now.

Travelled home that night without it and it ached all evening . . . Maybe I need to wean myself off of it for travelling rather than going cold turkey!

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2010, 06:48:29 PM »
Thursday 28th October

Second day in a row back in the office. Iím looking to up my days to a full week as of Monday with the aim of being full time back in the office in 3 weeks (8 weeks post op). Iíve got one week until I start PWB, and boy I canít wait!

Friday 29th October - 5 weeks post surgery

Iím 5 weeks down the line today, so time for a bit of an update on how things are going. So far, Iíd have to say Iím glad Iíve had it done. Who knows what Iíll feel like when I start weight bearing next week!

Pain wise, Iím currently on 150mg diclofenac (50mg x 3), 3000mg paracetamol (1000mg x 3), 50mg Tramadol (50mg x 1) each day. Tonight Iím going to try cutting out the Tramadol again and replacing with a dose of paracetamol. I first did this earlier in the week, but felt terrible the day after.

Iíve only had a fixed brace which I was given in hospital and kept on for the first 10 days solid, which I started to wean myself off of after week 3. I started at removal for exercises, then a few hours a day, then all day. I started sleeping on my side with it at some point between weeks 3 and 4, then at week 4 lost it at night completely. Itís now only used for public appearances and travelling. My next step is to wean myself of it whilst travelling, then in public.

I only ice once a day unless my knee is having a bad day, then I ice where itís practicable, otherwise itís ice gel (Biofreeze). Itís a bit like Deep Heat, but goes cold instead and still hasnít gone over the scar. The knee is still swollen and if I press my fingers into the knee next to the scar slightly I get dimples, but it does stay elevated most of the time (either sat on the sofa with both legs up, or at my desk with a box and cushion underneath).

I massage the scar tissue twice daily in small circles over the scar, but not down the sides. This is upon my physioís advice as we donít know the state of the tissue underneath the scar, and donít want to risk it breaking up (although by now itís probably going to be okay!).

I canít hop far without getting out of breathe (and I was pretty fit before my knee went last December), but I can do a 2-point turn on my sticks! I can stand still for a couple of minutes before the non-operated leg starts to ache.

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2010, 01:36:24 PM »
Saturday 30th October

I managed last night without Tramadol, getting through with just paracetamol this time. Iíll forgive the weird dreams, the broken sleep and feeling down this morning. Itís just withdrawal symptoms, and theyíll soon go. My knee doesnít have the deep ache it did last time I tried going without Tramadol which shows how much difference a few days can make.

Sunday 31st October

Second night in a row without Tramadol last night. The weird dreams are subsiding, Iím getting more sleep and I feel fine today. Fingers crossed, this is now a turning point to getting off Tramadol. I still have a few just in case for when I start PWB later this week, so weíll see how it goes.

Bundled in the car this afternoon with brace over to my best friend. They were going to throw their dog out in the garden as heís normally quite a bundle of energy (and an over sized German Shepherd). However he was an absolute star and I was more than comfortable without the brace on around him. Travelling is becoming awkward sat in the back seat as itís making me travel-sick over 20 miles. I canít wait to get back in the front seat of a car!

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2010, 01:17:42 PM »
Monday 1st November

Back to an office today. Iíve managed another night with Tramadol and Iím starting to feel really tired and down in the evenings. Today was no exception. I am however, finding my exercises easier and have started massaging my right foot in anticipation of having some weight pushed through it on Thursday evening - boy does that hurt! I wish Iíd done it sooner and Iím not putting that much pressure on it either.

Tuesday 2nd November

I had a really rubbish nightís sleep last night. I lost track of the times I woke up, thought Iíd woken up but was still dreaming and basically couldnít get comfy. I even went back to sleeping with my teddy bear which I havenít had for a few weeks now. My dreams are completely wacked out, stupid or scare me and I was only on Tramadol for five weeks! I really canít wait for the withdrawal symptoms to disappear. From what Iíve read itís a least a week, so weíll just have to see how it goes.

Wednesday 3rd November

Still having really manic nights, but hopefully it will settle soon. Todayís only news is that I pushed my exercises last night too far . . .díoh!

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2010, 05:47:49 PM »
Thursday 4th November - PWB Begins!

I must admit thereís a lot of nervous anticipation about tonightís physio session. Part of me is really looking forward to being able to not hop everywhere and part of thinks itís going to hurt. . . .

PWB is the weirdest thing going! After starting nervously with putting a trainer on for the first time in 6 weeks which felt really heavy at the end of my leg, I managed to do an SLR with ease. Queue sitting on the bed with my feet down and a few simple exercises and Iím off on my crutches learning to walk again. Heel, toe, heel, toe, heel, toe. Apparently I have good technique, but Iím concentrating like mad! Iíll get there without thinking soon. Iíve climbed stairs one at a time now without hopping and it feels really good.

With every step I make I get a sensation of pins and needles in my foot which instantly disappears the moment the weight comes off. The best bit for me was no real pain in the knee at all. For the sensation in the foot (even though Iíve been massaging my foot every day for the past week), I can start to feel a little happier about myself and my knee now.

Itís been nearly a week without Tramadol now, and I am so looking forward to alcohol tomorrow night!

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2010, 02:05:29 PM »
Friday 5th November - 6 weeks post op

Rang the hospital this morning to check about surgical stockings as Iím still wearing two! Theyíve said I donít need them anymore, so itís off to find where my socks have been hiding for the past 6 weeks. Itís going to be strange without them, but itís one more step to some degree of normality (whatever that is going to be for me now).

Iíve been off Tramadol for a week now, and the withdrawal symptoms have almost gone. Iím sleeping so much better now as well. Iíve started to cut back on the Diclofenac Sodium to 100mg (2 x 50mg) a day, but still 4000mg of paracetamol (except for when I forget a dose!) I know I still need the maximum because m knee has a really deep ache that evening and the following morning.

I actually sat in the front of the car after physio last night. It felt so strange after getting used to the back seat. Itís only a 10 minute journey home from the hospital, but my red scar had turned purple in that time, so it was dinner on the sofa and ice on the knee. Itís never great having a techni-colour leg.

Saturday 6th November

I was sat in bed doing my first set of exercises of the day, but something in the knee went ping. I got a bit worried, but upon looking at the scar, part of the last big scab was missing. I must try not to miss any tablets today though, Iím getting really forgetful and this week Iíve missed a dose of pain relief at least twice. By the time Iíd walked to the bathroom this morning, my legs were two different colours! Itís strange not having stockings on anymore, but Iím glad to be without them. The one thing I have noticed (and itís one mainly for the ladies), is not to shave when youíre wearing stockings. It may be unsightly, but Iíve had so many ingrown hairs where theyíve had nowhere to go because of the tightness of the stockings itís unbelievable. Looking back, the new scar on my knee is a big change to how my leg looks, and shaving could have easily waited (even though I looked like a yeti!) .

Sunday 7th November

I missed my third dose of pain relief yet again yesterday and Iím regretting it today. My knee really aches, so today itís time to cut back on exercises and elevate (and not miss any pain relief). Getting in and out of the bath was much easier this time, so next week weíre going to fill the bath up before I get in to see if I can cope. All of the little puncture scabs from the clips have gone now and I just have one big chunk of scab left now, but it doesnít seem quite ready to come off.

Unfortunately that all changed early evening as I had a sharp pain along the scar which made my leg jump and my jogging bottoms somehow managed to rip it off. It was quite a deep scab (so what remained bled) and now whatís left aches and feels uncomfortable. I can only see how it goes now.

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2010, 07:01:12 PM »
Monday 8th November / Tuesday 9th November
Iíve been having real problems with blood pooling in my foot these past few days. Itís fine when Iím elevating it and asleep, but if I let the leg drop when sitting or wake in the night, my foot swells, gets hot and purple. The moment I start flexing the ankle, it alleviates, so I know something is wrong. It looks like my veins arenít working the way they should be and itís only since Iíve taken the stockings off that Iíve noticed. Hopefully theyíve just become lazy, but Iíve ended up wearing a stocking to get back to sleep at night now. I have physio on Thursday, but I donít know if itís too long to wait or whether I should make a GPs appointment now.

Update: I ended up putting my tubi back on Tuesday afternoon, and hey presto - less purple foot! Itís only mildly pink and hardly aches. Maybe going from stocking and tubi to nothing was just too much of a shock to the leg. Hopefully I can wean myself off the tubi over the next week or so when Iím more mobile and everything will be okay.

Wednesday 10th November

Iíve left the tubi on for the past 24 hours and my leg is now much happier. Itís slightly pinker if I leave it down for too long, but on the whole itís less hot and swollen. Maybe I didnít learn from last time. Iím still doing ankle flexion exercises when itís down which will help the veins do what theyíre meant to do. Iíve got physio tomorrow and Iím supposed to be down to one crutch. Unfortunately this is one challenge Iím not going to meet, but Iíll try for next week (week 8) and go from there.

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2010, 01:06:36 PM »
Thursday 11th November

I managed to stand for the two minute silence today which I was impressed with. Iíve tried more exercises at physio and have tried walking with just one stick. Apparently the mechanics are all there, I just lack confidence (plus it aches after about 5 minutes).

Friday 12th November - Week 7

I travelled to and from work today completely without my brace on. Hopefully, thatís the last Iíll see of it now before it gets put away in the cupboard. Itís only taken two weeks since Prof Briggs said I didnít need it anymore to be able to ditch it completely. I still havenít really been out in public since surgery, but I feel confident enough to not wear it if I go out. This evening I tried going down to one stick and it feels okay. The strength is coming back slowly to my quads (yippee).

This week Iíve dropped the paracetamol down to 3000mg a day and see how it goes.

Week 7 update

My crutch slipped off the bottom step on Saturday and I slammed my operation leg straight down. Big, big pain, but after flexing it for about 5 minutes and icing it has started to settle back down. It still feels good to walk on, so Iím hopeful of no damage done. I stayed on two crutches for the day, but straight back down to one the following day. Itís definitely getting easier to walk now, so fingers crossed, Iíll be down to a stick very soon, and then completely free within the next two weeks!

The weather has played havoc this week and being damp and cold hasnít really helped, but then thatís autumn for you!

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2010, 01:41:25 PM »
Week 8 update
Iím down to just a walking stick now and can quite happily wander a few wobbly paces around the house. Pills wise, Iíve now started taking paracetamol as and when and am down to 2000mg a day and 50mg diclofenac sodium.

The strength in my quad is coming along a treat and Iíve now been allowed on the exercise bike for 10 minutes a day with no resistance.

Iím still doing plenty of exercises a day, and have started travelling short distances in the front of the car which means that I now donít have to lay across the back seat so much (woo hoo!).

Iím also well on target to ditch all forms of stick by Christmas, and probably even by the end of November which is even better.

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2010, 06:13:44 PM »
Week 9 update
The start of week 9 is when the stick got ditched and I only go out on crutches to walk distance (like into town to do the Christmas shopping). Itís great being able to carry things again and not relying on a waiter (aka hubbie). I now only walk with a wobble when my knee gets tired, but it seems I can potter around for a bit more now.

Week 9 also saw the end of diclofenac for the first time in 51 weeks. Hopefully paracetamol wonít be too far behind, but I still ache and get twinges, so it may still be a while.

Iím still cycling 10 minutes a day on no resistance as my knee aches after 8 minutes still. If I slow down, I donít ache, but I donít feel like Iíve done anything either. Exercises are coming on gradually and moving to more advanced levels, but I still canít sit on the bed and straighten my leg out because my quads arenít strong enough.