Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: MACI following failed microfracture (UK)  (Read 30521 times)

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
Re: MACI following failed microfracture (UK)
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2010, 09:50:13 AM »
Wednesday 6th October - On my own

Probably my best nightís sleep last night! Iím fairly sure I didnít sleep through the night, but it felt a better sleep.

Hubbieís back at work today, so Iím being left on my own for the first time for more than a couple of hours. Iíve been left with a number of calls to make and a heap of exercises. I had a text check in from hubbie late morning, so I gave him a quick call. My knee is aching from exercises, I donít want to overdo it, but Iíve got to get this leg moving.

I managed to get down on the floor this evening. I waited for hubbie just to make sure I didnít have trouble either way (I didnít). Iíve managed to lift my heel off the floor eventually, but only about a sheet of paper away. Itís a start, but it took a while. I probably have about 10 degrees of movement now, but I have physio tomorrow lunchtime. Doing exercises, then icing followed by bed meant I slept right though for the first time since surgery.
Jul 1994: Arthroscopy R: torn medial ligament
Mar 2000: Arthroscopy R: torn cartilage
Aug 2004: Arthroscopy R: microfracture
Feb 2010: Arthroscopy R: microfracture (failed)
Aug 2010: Stage 1 MACI
Sep 2010: Stage 2 MACI (eek)

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2010, 03:31:36 PM »
Hey Skittle

Thanks for keeping your diary updated. Sometimes people are reading but not always posting replies. Your experiences will be really useful for other people having MACI. Don't beat yourself on the pain meds reduction, MACI is MAJOR bone work and you'll need some medication help for a while. You're doing well, this is a long recovery from what I've read but those who take it slow and steady have great outcomes. Keep us posted and I hope improvements are soon on their way.

I'm a UK gal too, MACI was mooted for me but my whole knee is a bit - well, worn out and most of it is patella which MACI isn't great for. So, I trundle along with PT, some drugs and lots of indoor cycling!

Take care

Lottie x
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2010, 09:21:33 AM »
Thursday 7th October - Physio session 2

Mummy is coming over today so I can get to physio later. Iím looking to start dumping the brace from today. Iíll still sleep with it for a bit, but itís probably going to have to go back at the end of the month when I have my review with Prof Briggs.

Bundled myself into the back of Mumí car at lunchtime to get to physio and managed to get a spot at the top car park (the easy access). Physio went well and Iím getting rom of nearly 30 with assistance. I need to be 45 by next Thursday (fingers crossed). Exercises in the evening didnít give me anything additional, but I have a few days to go yet.

Current plans are for hydrotherapy to start in a couple of weeks which gives my wound a chance to fully heal. I canít get in the water until it does. Iím a big water baby, and I havenít been in the pool for a year, so itís giving me something to really look forward to.

I needed to up the pain relief today, but with physio I really expected it.

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2010, 07:04:06 PM »
Friday 8th October - My best friend visits!

I had a great nightís sleep last night. Clearly getting more exercise during the day is having its benefits. Iím still on the same amount of pain relief to go to bed on, but I wonít drop it until at least tonight as if I have a problem in the night, itís not fair to disturb hubbie. Heís getting tired having to do everything plus working full time with an hour commute each way. At least itís the weekend tomorrow so he can chill out a bit after his cycle ride.

My best friend is coming over today. Sheís been living in Lanzarote for the past 18 months and has just come back. Weíve not seen each other since May when she came to visit with her husband and their daughter (whoís now 29 months old) so we've got some catching up to do.

Iíve been reading a few diaries on here whilst Iíve been at home, and noticed talk about a femoral block. I remember the anaesthetist saying Iíd get a local in my leg as itís a really painful operation. Reading through the discussions of the block triggered some vague recollection of my leg muscles jumping all over the place just prior to surgery. Itís pretty much the only thing I remember from pre-theatre to be honest.

Exercises today have been tough, achy and well tough. I canít even lift my heel remotely off the floor and flexing isnít getting anywhere near what I had yesterday. My knee hurts a lot, so as much as I hate it, Iím giving in to pain relief. I suppose now that Iím moving around itís going to happen :(

Iíve spoken to my boss this afternoon to confirm that Iím taking next week off sick instead of working from home. Things have been really manic whilst Iíve been off and I feel a little guilty leaving the team in the lurch for longer than I anticipated, but Iíll start checking through my emails next week and see how it goes.

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2010, 01:43:24 PM »
Saturday 9th October - Episode  err . . . Day 15

Lesson learned last night - when Iím half asleep I have no balance. Thankfully Iím still wearing my brace at night and I only fell onto the bed. It was enough to wake hubbie up and give him a bit of a scare. I was fine though and grateful that my leg just went straight up in the air and came back down on top of the other one.

I watched my first film today since surgery. Iíve held off this long not because I know it can be the start of a slippery slope to boredom, but more because I havenít had the attention span to be able to watch anything longer than 45 minutes. I decided to watch Mamma Mia! Iíve never seen it before nor knew the storyline, but I couldnít stop laughing! Trying to dance when youíre sat down trying to do exercises is amusing too!

Did the best thing this afternoon - I HAD A BATH! Finally got a look at my new war wound and at last it appears to have stopped weeping. It looks like Iíve had a blood blister which was causing the bleeding and weeping. Itís just one big scab now covering three clip holes. Weíll just have to see how it pans out to see what level of rubbish-ness it looks like, but the rest of it looks pretty good to me.

More exercises to do this evening. . .

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2010, 12:43:46 PM »
Sunday 10th October - 10/10/10

Getting there with the exercises now and moving a little more in the right direction. A little bit of the scab fell of this morning and it doesnít look too bad underneath. Itís my nieceís birthday today, so Iím getting a change of scenery and going to visit her later. It means bundling me in the back seat again, but I donít mind.

I managed about an hour before my knee started to ache too much and we came home. Got out of the brace and jogging bottoms and back into more comfortable shorts and went to sit down . . . BANG! Bent my knee slightly, got a massive hit of pain and the room span. Fortunately I was about to sit on the sofa anyway, so I fell backwards crying and screaming. Once the pain had subsided enough to stop crying I went straight for pain relief. I donít pussyfoot around now when it starts. That followed by ice meant that it settled within about 45 minutes.

Still, off to the doctorís tomorrow . . .

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2010, 08:51:13 PM »
Ouch! The unexpected bend doesn't sound like fun at all. I hope the doctor is able to reassure you that no damage has been done.

Congrats on the first bath - that's a blissful post-surgery moment. :)

Hope all continues to go well!
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2010, 12:05:38 PM »
Hi Snowy!
Fortunately the bend was mid air and was just a result of having it my fixed brace for a tad too long whilst visiting my niece and a coldish room. It doesn't feel any different inside and like many people here I'm sure you understand the change in feelings if anything goes wrong. It does ache a bit if I let it stiffen up, but I don't get too many sharp pains nows, just a constant low level pain.

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2010, 12:06:54 PM »
Monday 11th October

Weird dreams again last night - donít you just love drugs? Exercises again this morning. They are getting a little easier now, so no doubt Iíll get some new ones at Physio tomorrow even though Iíve still got a lot more movement to get. I just look at it as one small hop towards getting back in the pool (albeit hydrotherapy to begin with).

My MIL is coming over later to take me to the doctors to get another sick note and more drugs. No doubt the doc will want to see my new scar and Iíll need to describe whatís gone on in the past 17 days. She arrived just as I was finishing my exercises.

As suspected, I needed to explain everything to my GP, but I walked out with my sick note and more drugs and she didnít ask to look at my scar. Fair enough I did have my brace on, so she probably didnít want to disturb it. But the look on her face when she called me in was an absolute picture. It was almost ĎOMG what have I got here?í

Another set of exercises to go today, then ice and bed. Sleep enables my body to fix itself, and Iíve not had my afternoon nap today for the second day in a row.

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2010, 08:19:34 AM »
Tuesday 12th October - Physio session 3

I had a reasonable night sleep last night. I only woke a couple of times with shoulder ache as Iíd pulled myself onto my pillows again. Mummy is coming over again today to take me to physio, sheís cooking dinner for us again tonight which has made hubbie happy.

Physio is chuffed with my progress and I have ROM over 45 which was Thursdayís aim (itís more like 60 from cold). I have more exercises to do including SLR and massaging. Physio wasnít worried at all about my bout of pain on Sunday either which was cool. The scar is looking good, and sheís going to check if they have the equipment to get me into the hydro-pool whilst Iím still non-weightbearing. If so, Iíll be getting wet in a couple of weekís time which will give the scar a bit more time to dry out. As a result of progress, my Physio has cancelled my session on Thursday, so Iím back in a weekís time!

Iím staying fairly positive at the moment which is great as Iím not the strongest person mentally, but the more I think about what this means to me, the more positive Iíll hopefully stay.
I start looking through my work emails tomorrow with a view to working from home full-time next week. TBH itíll be nice to get back to an office - Iím starting to miss people

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2010, 09:52:53 AM »
Wednesday 13th October - Day 19

I had a rough night last night. Woke up at 1.30 and just couldnít get comfortable, so I propped myself up on my pillows and proverbially tossed and turned (as much as you can in a fixed brace!). Iím going to try and sleep without it on Saturday night, so weíll see what happens then.

Started going through my work emails this morning and emailing my boss a bit. Heís made me laugh today which is good as I wonít see a soul until hubbie gets home late this evening. Even doing half a dayís work has worn me out and Iíve had my first afternoon nap since Saturday.

Sleeping without my brace this afternoon has meant that my knee is quite sore this evening. I really want to ditch the brace and if Iím going to get pain like this, it may be longer before I sleep without it. But positive thoughts are a must so Iíll still give it a go on Saturday.

Another day of highs and lows. My high today was cooking dinner for the first time since surgery. It was only pizza and chips, which you can just throw in the oven, but itís a start and itís another night that hubbie doesnít have to cook.

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2010, 07:58:56 AM »
Thursday 14th October

Yet another uncomfortable night last night. Either I couldnít get comfortable or my knee couldnít - why couldnít they both just settle at the same time? Thankfully it didnít disturb hubbie too much and itís settled this morning. Iím doing some work today with the aim of working a bit more than yesterday. I probably did less work today, but I didnít fall asleep so thatís got to be a step forward in my book.

Exercises have been going well today and I actually managed an SLR on my own! It was only the one, but itís a start and more than I could do yesterday. I havenít been able to do one since, but itís one more than Iíve been able to do since last December, so thatís my big high for today.

The Commonwealth Games finish today, so itís daytime television for me tomorrow. If thatís not an incentive to go back to work I donít know what is!

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2010, 09:04:51 AM »
Friday 15th October - Three weeks gone!

I actually had a really good nightís sleep last night and tried going to sleep on my side with a pillow between my knees (and brace). It was a little strange and uncomfortable, but I managed about an hour before giving up and rolling on my back. I hardly disturbed hubbie too which was really good. To top it all, I even cut back on my night time pain relief, from 2 Tramadol to 1. The next step will be to replace it with paracetamol (Iím currently on 6 a day).

I canít believe itís only three weeks since I was a mix of cacking my pants and nervously excited about going into hospital to be fixed. If I said it had flown by Iíd be lying. Iím still trying to settle into a routine which is going to be a problem when I start back working next week. Still, Iíll cope (I hope!)

Iíve managed to get some more work done today, and hopefully by building up over the last three days will mean that next week I can do reasonably well. At least I havenít fallen asleep today.

Exercises have been tough today for some reason, so Iíve cut down the number of reps, but increased the frequency. Maybe the change will do my leg some good. Iím starting to get some shape in my leg now and itís not a mass of quivering jelly anymore which Iím really proud of. My left leg (the good one) is also looking the most toned it ever has with all this hopping and jumping up stairs!

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2010, 10:53:43 AM »
Saturday 16th October - Hubbie does overtime

I tried getting to sleep on my side again last night with the brace and it seemed a lot more comfortable than the night before. Iíve cut the Tramadol down to one a night for the second night running and itís starting to give me weird dreams. Theyíre not nightmares, just surreal so I donít think itís anything to do with withdrawal symptoms Iíve read that can occur with Tramadol. No doubt Iíll get those when I cut out, but it looks like they only last a week or so, and Iím weaning myself off as quickly as I dare. I canít rush it because I still have some pain episodes every now and then, but they are getting less so fingers crossed Iíll soon be able to replace Tramadol with paracetamol (I know itís not great replacing one drug with another, but needs must) and then cut down on that too. Iíve been living off paracetamol since the start of December 2009.

Still, itís the weekend and the sun is shining. However, Iím housebound as hubbie has had to work today. Iíve also got to try and make my own lunch today which shouldnít be too bad, but does mean I have to eat in the kitchen because I canít carry anything. He did however, get a plate out for me as itís the one thing I canít do, so weíll see how it goes . . .

Lunch was a sandwich, so I managed to eat in the kitchen with no worries. Watched my second film since surgery ĎElizabethí which was okay, but I just couldnít get into it. I guess I just want some company as I canít wait until hubbie gets home :( Iím having a bit of a down moment because I havenít seen anyone other than my hubbie since Tuesday. I really need to get back to civilization and soon.

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2010, 08:36:33 AM »
Sunday 17th October - Civilization beckons!

Blimey I was a miserable moo yesterday wasnít I?

A much better night sleep last night. Iím still waking around 1.30 and 4.30 in the morning regardless, but it appears my body has adapted to this broken pattern. I woke up last night on my side which considering I didnít ditch my brace as I originally intended to do I was really chuffed about.

I told hubbie when he got in last night about not seeing anyone for days, so weíve agreed to bundle me in the back of the car later and visit Pets at Home.  Iím also getting a bath this afternoon too. Having a wash down every day whilst heís at work because time is short in the mornings is okay, but it doesnít beat a proper wash!

Iím also in much better spirits today probably because Iíve got things planned.

Pets at Home was great (and I never really thought Iíd say that either). I got to see people; I mean REAL people and not just ones on the TV screen. Woo Hoo! Today has been really great highs compared to yesterday. Iíve had a massive hug from hubbie and another bath. Getting in and out of the bath was so much easy than last week and I couldnít believe just how dead skin I scrubbed off, especially after doing the same last week too!

Iíve managed to sit at a table for all three meals today which was a real improvement as since surgery Iíve either been lying in a bed or lying on the sofa. Itís a big step forward for me and tomorrow I start back at work. Iím working from home for the week, but only 4 days. Iíll see how the week goes before deciding what Iíll do the week after that.