Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: MACI following failed microfracture (UK)  (Read 32579 times)

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
MACI following failed microfracture (UK)
« on: October 02, 2010, 02:22:39 PM »
My hubbie has finally pursuaded me to post my diary up here rather than keeping it off line for so long. I'm currently 8 days post Stage 2 MACI, so here goes . . .

Well Iím starting my blog in a rather backwards fashion. Iím currently just over 24 hours post op, but letís step backwards a bit . . .

7 weeks ago I had my 1st stage MACI. It seems a distant memory now. The early start - up at 5 for a 7am check-in. Surgery went well and I had my cartilage cells removed. Those cells have had more of a holiday than I have this year. They were flown to Amsterdam to grow big and strong.

In those 7 weeks, work was manic and knowing that I was going to be off work for a while, Iíve been trying to get as much done as possible. My husbandís been an absolute start since my knee failed in December. Heís been my rock and has picked me up when Iíve been down and kept me smiling.

Iíve been burying myself in my work so I didnít get to think about surgery and mostly it worked. The week before surgery was my husbandís birthday, so as part of thank you we went away to Colchester for the weekend.  We stayed in the middle of town, so we could walk in the steps of his ancestors, and not just because I couldnít walk far!

So that brings me up pretty much to date. I got a phone call from Prof Briggsí secretary early this week to say that check in had moved from 7am to 10.30am. Such a relief! And I could have breakfast! Most nights Iíve been having weird dreams and Thursday was no exception. I tossed and turned all night and finally got up at 5.15 for breakfast, and after feeling a little queasy had ginger jam on my toast. I then decided to grab some more sleep.
Jul 1994: Arthroscopy R: torn medial ligament
Mar 2000: Arthroscopy R: torn cartilage
Aug 2004: Arthroscopy R: microfracture
Feb 2010: Arthroscopy R: microfracture (failed)
Aug 2010: Stage 1 MACI
Sep 2010: Stage 2 MACI (eek)

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
Re: MACI following failed microfracture (UK)
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 02:30:59 PM »
Friday 24th September - The Big Day

The morning just seemed to drag on until we left for hospital. Once in hospital, everything just moved so fast and before we knew it my bed had arrived and it was time to go. I think my husband was more scared than me!

He disappeared whilst I was in surgery. I remember going into pre-theatre at 12.45 and remember coming back around at 2.30. Iíve had so much drugs this afternoon, Iíve just lost track of everything except the pain. Everything Iíve read said it would be really painful in the first week and even the anaesthetist said it would be. Iíve had a local in my leg, plus a heap of pain relief and morphine. I just want to sleep all the time.

Iím keeping water down no problem, so itís onto dinner. Tuna pasta and veg followed by rice pudding and more drugs. Iíve had a bit of gas and bought up some water, but felt a little better, so carried on eating. I managed to eat a fair chunk of dinner, but needed a break to crack on with pudding. I had my drugs and then realised it wasnít just gas and up came everything. Talk about feeling like pooh. We called the nurse who had the cheek to ask if Iíd seen my drugs come up!

Because we couldnít be sure, I had to wait until 10 for my next batch unless the pain was too much. I had all my drugs intravenously just in case, but I was just so dozy. I had a broken nightís sleep with the wonderful joys of a bed pan. Iím going to be getting out of bed tomorrow and Iím so scared! Itís weird, but I thought Iíd be so eager to get going, but itís a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. Iím so tired and Erek (my teddy before anyone asks!) is getting lots of cuddles. Everything Iíve read and been told about the pain is true though . . .

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 02:33:30 PM »
Saturday 25th September - D Day Plus One

Itís just over 24 hours post op, and Iím up about on crutches to go to the toilet. Itís soooo much better than a bed pan!

My husband and my mummy came to visit this afternoon. I didnít think that she would as she doesnít like hospitals. She brought me some gingerbread men and a bottle of red wine (for when Iím home and feeling better!)

Iíve kept all my food down today which has been a great improvement. Iím still sleeping quite a bit, but it was quite painful this morning and my drugs have knocked me out. At least when Iím sleeping, my body is starting to repair itself.

Yesterday was the first time Iíd ever been ill from anaesthetic. It was my sixth knee operation, and I really want it to be my last. My aim pre op was to be off crutches by Christmas, but if Iím not, then so be it. I know I canít rush this.  Iíve got to take it easy and take the advice Iím given. Hopefully progress will be steady and secure. I wonít know for at least four months, so itís going to be an endurance battle, but one Iím determined to win.

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 02:41:07 PM »
Sunday 26th September - Not a great day

My pain was controllable until I got up in the night for a hop. It just wouldnít settle, so a batch of drugs and Iím sent off to the land of snoozeville. Iím not sure what was different about those drugs, but Iíve had the weirdest dreams about flying animals, and now I have little appetite.

Not sure if Iím going home later or not as Iíve just had my food order taken until tomorrow morning. The nurses are asking me if Iím going home today, and I just donít have a clue! I donít feel ready to go home as I donít think weíll cope.

I went for a hop to the bathroom this morning, and the nurse and I got out of bed too quickly and pulled my clips. That was quite a shock and it was incredibly painful and brought tears to my eyes. Toilet will just have to wait!

The physio has been around this morning as well. Itís been busy so far today! I made it to the next set of rooms, but itís just wearing me out.

Iíve managed to wash my upper body this morning too, but I think I took too long doing it and having my leg down for that long means that Iím now in a fair chunk of pain. Iím back lying in bed with it raised and weíll see if it settles.

Hubbieís been back up this afternoon. I had my happy pills just before he arrived so I was a little dozy and slept through part of the Grand Prix. Prof Briggs came in at the end of the race and gave the go ahead for the removal of my pressure bandage this evening and home tomorrow.

I donít know what drugs Iíll be taking with me, but as long as they do the job, I donít care. The only concern I have is the journey home, but I know weíll manage.

Drugs turned up during dinner this evening and I did my own anti-coag injection. Iíve never done any needles before. Itís a bit easier than I thought and I may have to do my own when I go home tomorrow, so I need to learn. I just need to work out what to do with the dead needles then!

Iíve been gearing up for the removal of my pressure bandage as they usually hurt when they come off. Other than a few tingles, it wasnít actually that bad. The coverage bandage over the wound had stuck to my clips and theyíve bled a bit, but other than that theyíre apparently good and clean. Iíll take the nurses word for it, but Iíve lost a couple of inches off the top of the brace and about 3 off the bottom, but as I know Iíll be going to the toilet before bed and during the night, it was agreed the brace could go back on. It just makes me feel more confident and I feel I need it right now.

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 02:45:24 PM »
Monday 27th September - Time to go home!

My brace has come off while Iím in bed this morning . . . But Iím going home today! The nurse has been around this morning and gone through the drugs Iím taking home. Iím got a new drug to take as the pain relief Iíve been having (oxycontin) is a controlled drug so I either stay in hospital or have something else. Iíve opted for the latter, so Iím off with Tramadol. Iím sure it will give me funky dreams, but itíll be worth it.

Prof Briggs has been back in this morning and seemed a little miffed that my brace wasnít attached to my leg. Itís got to stay on for 7 to 10 days, so it will be still be on when I have physio next week.

Physio has been around again this morning, and Iíve been for a walk and Iíve done stairs. Going up is a lot harder than I imagined, but Iíve done it now and it will only get easier.

Iíve started discharge now. My dressing has been changed and doesnít look to bad (Iíve been brave enough to look now!). Iíve got my drugs, so weíre just waiting for lunch and painkillers before making a move.

What a journey home! What should have been a straight forward 1 hour journey, turned out to be 1 Ĺ hours. Now home and Iím so tired. I chilled for the rest of the afternoon. Iíve just ordered a toilet stand so hopefully it will turn up tomorrow.

Iím so tired, but Iíve had my drugs and stabbed myself. It took me an age to eat dinner, itís not my appetite thatís gone, but it feels that my stomach has shrunk so much.

When we went up to bed itís time for stairs. I was so exhausted and slept pretty much right through the night.

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 02:49:36 PM »
Tuesday 28th September - First day back home

Iíve had visitors galore this morning. Iíve had flowers delivered from work, Dadís been and mumís been too. Iíve managed to get my hair washed. What a palaver but so worth it! I feel so much better now. Our neighbour has popped in and asked if they could use our parking space next week for a funeral. Unfortunately, my toilet stand didnít arrive today, so hopefully it will be tomorrow.

Getting tired in the evening again, but itís bound to happen in the early days.

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 02:56:52 PM »
Wednesday 29th September - Time to change socks

Had a really rubbish night last night, waking at 12, 1, 2, 3, 3.45, and 4am. That was when I resigned myself to next to no sleep and really stupid dreams - you cannot run with a brace on! Next thing I know it is 7am. Big drug time. Finally woke at 10 for breakfast in bed. Today we decided to change my dressing, tubi and stockings. Getting everything off was the easy part. My wound is only weeping a bit at the top now and I suspect thatís partly down to the Fragmin. Getting a new stocking on was really difficult but my husbandís learning the hard way! It took just over an hour to get the fresh stocking and tubi on and I finally got downstairs at 12.45. Itíll be lunchtime soon - that makes me seem really bad.

My toilet stand arrived this morning too and it makes such a difference getting on and off the toilet.

Iíve spent this afternoon chilling, but itís been a little painful this afternoon. Weíre getting our hair cut this evening, but we always thought I would dip out depending on how I felt. Iíve stabbed my stomach now, and hopefully it wonít bruise like I did yesterday. I keep moving it around every day, and Iíve got 4 left to do.

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 02:59:35 PM »
Thursday 30th September

Sleep patterns fell into the same category as yesterday. I was greeted this morning with my mobile. Itís been on silent since I was in hospital, so when it went off yesterday, it was clearly ignored! However, it was my first Ďwhere do I find ...í from my boss! A quick email later and an update on my knee and Iím ready for breakfast.

I even managed to make it down stairs today by 10.30am! My sister-in-law is coming over this afternoon with my niece and nephew so that should be interesting.

Even just lying on the sofa whilst children are around is tiring. My nephew can be quite demanding. He had a small packet of biscuits then wanted another. He did ask again later and still got a no, so tried his mum, then my husband. He still got nowhere!

Iím left to recover once theyíve gone, so a few drugs followed and Iím still catching up on television from whilst I was in hospital.

Iíve done my stabbing now and I seem to be eating quicker too. I just need to get more active so I donít put on more weight!

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 03:04:41 PM »
Friday 1st October - One week down

Well Iím a week post op today. My spirits are doing well, although itís normally alcohol night tonight and I canít have any!  :'(

It looks like I canít stab myself on one side of my stomach without bruising though. Yesterdayís needle hole has now bruised. Itís only tiny and compared to the one from a couple of days ago, it wonít be too bad.

Iíve finally been able to catch up on emails this morning whilst my hubbies been out. Itís the first time Iíve been left on my own for any length of time, and I donít feel too bad. I havenít made any food yet and that will be the big problem for me once heís back at work. Being on crutches itís practically impossible to carry anything and Iím really not sure.

Before my operation, I was reading a lot of notes from other people from here who have had this operation and one thing that was mentioned a number of times was Ďelectric shockí type pain running along the scar. I had my first one this morning and boy does it hurt! Fortunately I hadnít had any strong pain killers this morning, but they soon followed that episode! I really hope I donít get many of those, but now itís started, Iím sure Iíll get more :(

Iíve started watching my DVDs this afternoon. No doubt thatís the first step to getting bored. Iím off all next week, and then Iíll be working from home so I hope I am ready to start again.

I struggled to stab myself this evening for the first time. Iím so glad I only have another 2 to do. After that I need to get up and about a bit more so I donít risk any clots.

This evening I was just so tired. I ended up going upstairs by 8.30 and was ready for bed by 9. Still had a rubbish first half of the night as is now becoming the norm, and finally woke at 8. I still donít get more than 3 hours at a time.

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 02:52:45 PM »
Saturday 2nd October - Day 8

Hubbieís out on his bike this morning as normal and left me downstairs again. Iíve had a bit of a surf on here and found someone who is 7 weeks ahead of me which was good. Iím now also getting pain in my heels where Iím laid up all the time which is going to bug me. Iíll mention it to the physio on Tuesday to see what I can do to alleviate the pain. I know itís only because I am sat on my butt, but itís annoying.

The one thing I have found is that my stomach muscles appear to be doing some more work when I sit up and lay back down, so hopefully itís a step into losing some of the excess flab I have after nearly a year of no exercise!

After a week of my hubbie doing all the cooking, he wanted a break, so we had take-away delivered. Itíll be great when I can help him out again. It's been quite an uneventful day really.

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 04:35:57 PM »
Sunday 3rd October - My first bad day

Iíve been in great spirits until this morning, well the middle of the night. My heels are really sore today from sitting on my bottom all day and itís getting me down a bit. I got left upstairs this morning whilst hubbie did the weekly shop. We then managed (more successfully this time) to wash my hair without getting the bathroom and each other soaked!

The Commonwealth games start today, so Iím watching the opening ceremony. My knee is just having a bad day today. Itís pretty painful compared to what Iíve been used to. Either Iíve been lucky so far, or Iíve been given the right drugs and Iím taking them at the right time to keep the pain levels down.

Iíve also finished my course of Fragmin today - no more stabbing! Iíll give the hospital a call tomorrow to see if Iím okay to leave it or whether itís worth now taking a low dose of aspirin (providing I can take it with the rest of my drugs). I donít want anything to go wrong as Iím still quite immobile. Fingers crossed things will get better tomorrow.

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 11:42:30 AM »
Monday 4th October - The bad day continues

Today started off okay. I want to try cutting back on the Tramadol now. I rang the hospital this morning, and I donít need to take any aspirin either now. The good news is that although I have a bit of bleeding and weeping from the top of my wound, they arenít worried as it is mostly down to the Fragmin and a bit of an awkward cut. Looks like all systems go for removal of clips tomorrow! Thatís made me happier now.

I havenít had a great afternoon. A few big twinges of pain which have brought me close to tears, but Iíll get there eventually. So much for wanting to cut down on the pain relief! I think my knee has other ideas. I need a hug. The pain just rumbled on throughout the evening. Still physio starts tomorrow . . .

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 09:12:13 AM »
Hey Skittle! Sorry to hear that your recovery has been tough so far. It's funny - we go into these surgeries knowing perfectly well that it's a major operation that won't be easy to bounce back from, and yet it's astonishing how slow and painful it is in the immediate aftermath. For me recovery has been one of the toughest experiences of my life, but I also feel like I'm learning so much from it - mostly a degree of patience that I would never have believed I was capable of...

I'm really interested to hear how things progress for you; as someone in my early 30s with arthritis in both knees, cartilage repair is always on my mind. I do hope that as you get over the immediate aftermath of the op, things improve considerably.

Many virtual hugs to you. :)

Kay
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 02:57:35 PM »
Thanks Kay, I must admit that probably up until 4 weeks before surgery I didn't come on here much, but it's been a godsend these past three weeks.

I too am mid thirties and am far too young for a replacement, so I hope the long haul will be worth it.

Offline skittle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 03:04:59 PM »
Tuesday 5th October - Physio starts today

Oh what a night! I foolishly decided to take only 1 Tramadol to go to bed on last night and woke at 4am screaming in pain. So much for me cutting down on pain relief. I should have known my knee would have other ideas!

This morning passed quickly, and before we know it, we were bundling me across the back seat of the car and getting off to London. My clips came out easily enough (I didnít look, but hubbie did and watched the three pronged scissors do their stuff) and felt quite tingly afterwards. Itís a weird sensation and something different. The physio worked me really hard and I have a lot of work to do as my quad is just like a lump of wobbly jelly and will need so much work to even get somewhere near decent. I can hardly move my leg and probably have less than 5 degrees of movement. Before stage 1, all I could do was static quad exercises and was walking with a stick for short distances (you could forget anything longer than a hundred meters).

Iíve done some exercises this evening and iced, but itís still sore. My fixed brace is back on to hop and for sleeping, but Iíll be taking it off for exercises from now on. Iíve got physio again on Thursday and am desperate to make some progress by then.

support