Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Trying to identify a surgical procedure  (Read 934 times)

Offline ridgeline

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Trying to identify a surgical procedure
« on: October 01, 2010, 06:49:12 PM »
My doctor as spoken about a arthroscopic procedure that used to be done to those with PFS but no longer is due to evidence it made knee issues worse, not better, often resulting is cartilage full thickness injuries.

He described the procedure as basically shrink wrapping the patella cartilage (with something?) thus creating a smooth surface and alleviating pain.
He is following new research that indicates by doing this procedure under cooler temperatures (than in the past) results are good.

Anyone have any idea what procedure he is speaking about. I've tried searching but haven't found anything that sounds like what he is describing.

thanks

Offline ridgeline

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Trying to identify a surgical procedure
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 04:49:15 PM »
bump

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 06:15:06 PM »
I've never heard of anything shrink wrapping the patella cartilage. Some instruments used to be used to smooth cartilage which were hot, but fell out of favour as they could cause damage to underlying bone/cartilage that remains. Is he talking about procedures that now use things like burrs or shavers to smooth rather than heat?

can't think of anything else....
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 07:55:22 PM »
Why not call the Dr office and Ask the name of the procedure?
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline ridgeline

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 01:00:41 AM »
Lottiefox -
he did describe it being used years ago but, as you state, docs stopped doing it b/c of making things worse due to the temp/heat of whatever it is they did.
But he did say it was a way to smooth cartilage almost like a shrink wrap.

The only thing I can find that seems close is: Thermal Capsulorrhaphy. Seems common with shoulders, found a little,(very) relating to knees.
Though he stated he's keeping an eye on new research claiming the technique is actually successful as long as they do a better job of controlling or limiting the heat (ie. cooler).

KW - yeah i guess. I'm just curious and not feeling like bothering his office for it. I'll just ask him next time I'm in there which will be a few months so thought I toss it out to the board.

cdubb

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 02:03:53 AM »
I've actually had a thermal capsular shift on my shoulder, which ended up failing and requiring an open procedure.  It didn't work on my shoulder and I believe really isn't even used on shoulders anymore because of the failure rate, but I have never heard of it being done on knees....and I have PF problems and having an ACI/AMZ next month.-