Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Frustrating Medial pain  (Read 1001 times)

Offline jenro

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Frustrating Medial pain
« on: September 27, 2010, 12:55:05 AM »
Hey guys
I'm 7 months post scope...which ruled out a medial meniscus tear, and cleared out torn cartilage and included a chondroplasty.  A few months after the surgery, as my activity level approached normal again, the pain returned.  It's sore with any kind of pressure on that side, which led the dr to believe it was the meniscus.  I am considering going to a new dr to get a second opinion, but does anyone have any ideas what could be causing the pain?  I had an ACL reconstruction on this knee 8 years ago and was pain free up until last fall.  Is it possible that a meniscus problem could have been missed during the scope? 

Thanks for reading, and I appreciate any comments

Offline bethus82

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • age 49 - meniscus surgery Nov 09
Re: Frustrating Medial pain
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 02:49:10 AM »
Hi -- Why did you have a scope done?  And where is the pain now?
Beth
Aug 09 - fell while cycling, sprained MCL, tore meniscus
Nov 09 - partial medial meniscectomy, left knee

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 08:50:20 AM »
You say the scope cleared out torn cartilage and a chondroplasty - was this on the articular cartilage on the medial side? If so, it is possible that the pain you have is due to wear and tear (thinning/irregular/fraying) articular cartilage on the femur or tibia on the medial side rather than having issues with the meniscal cartilage. If you can check with your OS what exactly was done, where and how they graded the damage they found you might know a bit more. Then you need to think options for either living with it, or attempting one of the more in depth repairs for damaged cartilage....

Its possible the surgeon may have missed a meniscal issue, have you had any form of MRI to check them without the trauma of another surgery? I'm guessing this may well be related to the chondroplasty need though....

Lottie
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline jenro

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 01:23:30 PM »
Thanks for your response Lottie,

I did have an MRI before the surgery, but all it showed was fluid/swelling.  I've had many MRI's, and that was the first one where I was cold/nervous, so I was not laying as still as needed.  Since they found issues once they got inside my knee, I believe the MRI was inaccurate because of me moving too much.  What you said does seem to make sense....the thought of the more in depth cartilage repair is scary, but at 26, I don't want to be living with this for the rest of my life either.  I guess I'll be getting back in touch with my OS.

Thanks again

Jen

Offline bethus82

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • age 49 - meniscus surgery Nov 09
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 08:25:52 PM »
Good luck, Jen -- please keep us updated. 
Where are you located?
Beth
Aug 09 - fell while cycling, sprained MCL, tore meniscus
Nov 09 - partial medial meniscectomy, left knee