Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: contemplating patellar realignment  (Read 1155 times)

Offline julieruelle

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • new to knee surgery
contemplating patellar realignment
« on: October 10, 2003, 05:49:20 AM »
Hi Everyone!  Mi name is Julie, I am brand new to this site and to surgery.  This seems like a wonderful site, I have spent hours reading all the Q&As!  Here is my question which I would welcome any and all opinions about:  I dislocated my R knee 11/02 (enough to send me to the ER and knock me off my feet for 1 month), after 3 mos PT, I re-dislocated it 01/03 and 4/03.  I can walk, rollerblade, use the elliptical machine, but I feel that I can not turn side to side, as in soccer or volleyball, or just turn wrong without another dislocation.  MRI shows small partial tears in ACL and MCL and lots of scar tissue.  Been to 2 OS, both have rec: patellar realignment, breaking my tibia and moving my knee attaching with screws, ouch!  Sounds like a few of you have had similar ORs.  I have a really hard time rationalizing putting myself through this really painful surgery and recovery when I can do almost everything; but I live with the constant fear of dislocating my knee.  I would really appreciate your wisdom.  Thank you in advance.  Julie
Julie

Offline Donna

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
Re: contemplating patellar realignment
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2003, 07:17:27 AM »
Hi Julie and Welcome!

I too have had a dislocating knee. I have had  patella realignment surgery. (mine was a Fulkerson osteotomy) plus 2 lateral releases. The surgery was not a success for me unfortunately. Well , actually it was for about 9 months but then my knee started dislocating again. Please keep in mind that many people have had great success with this surgery. I have many other problems with my knee besides dislocating problems. If your OS feels this may be the best surgery for you I say go for it. You sure don't want to live in fear of your knee dislocating. Good Luck!

Donna
4/88 menis, chondroplasty,
10/01 menis, chondroplasty
2/02 microfrac,chondro,menis,
4/02 Fulkerson TTT, LR, microfrac,
2/03 open LR,fat pad removal, lysis,menis Still need more surgery.

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2003, 01:52:29 PM »
Hi Julie,

Welcome to the board.  I have had 2 TTTs (patella realignment), one on each knee.  I had recurring dislocations and was always in fear of when it was going to happen again with the slightest wrong move.  I lived like that for about 17 years and it really curtailed my activities as I learnt over the years that if I did do anything that involved the knees, then they would dislocate and I'd end up in a cast for 3 months.  Mine was obviously really bad with dislocations just about every couple of months, I don't know how bad yours are but in my case, I can certainly say that the TTT was the best thing I could have done.  It was really not that bad compared to what I was going through anyway and I think that any damage done by surgery (re arthritis etc) was less than what damage was being done with the constant dislocations.  My recovery the first time was, IN TOTAL, about 9 or 10 months.  This one I've been a bit slower but I've had to have my screw removed so that set me back a little.  But anyway, definately in my case, just not having to worry all the time about what I'm doing and how I'm moving was in itself a great relief.  I hope you manage to work out what's best for you.  Good luck.  :D

Natalie.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2003, 01:56:27 PM by nmcbride »
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements
Partial Meniscectomy
Failed Microfracture
11mm Defect LFC
Bone Spurs, Kissing Lesions

Offline julieruelle

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • new to knee surgery
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2003, 06:40:50 AM »
Thank you both for the reply and the information.  I have since seen another OS and he recs arthroscopy giving me a 50/50 chance of full recovery, he says he will know within two weeks if it worked and if not he wants to do open knee, wrap a tendon around my knee, drill a hole in the bone and anchor it in place with a hook.  According to him the recovery is about half as long as the TTT.  I think I am leaning more toward that aproach.  I again would love any comments, advice or stories.  Thank you so much, this board is wonderful!

Julie
Julie

Offline Donna

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2003, 07:23:09 AM »
Hi Julie,

What is the name of the open procedure your new OS is talking about doing. Is is a lateral release?
Hope everything works out for you.

Donna

Offline julieruelle

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • new to knee surgery
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2003, 05:38:26 AM »
The first surgery he wants to do is a lateral release (arthroscopic), and I am not sure what the second (open knee) one is called.  I do not even remember the name of the tendon that he is planning on wrapping around my patella!  I was hoping someone on this site had a similar surgery and could tell me more about it.  Donna, I read your info about all the surgeries you have had and it says you have more to come?, what is left to do??  Thanks for the advice so far, would appreciate more from anyone!
Julie

Offline Donna

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2003, 06:16:01 AM »
Hi again Julie,

I'll IM you with more info. Talk to you soon.

Donna