Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: I don't know whether to have TKR before or after holiday  (Read 1099 times)

Offline Judy52

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I don't know whether to have TKR before or after holiday
« on: September 23, 2010, 08:46:41 AM »
Hi

This is my first post. I'm 57 and need a TKR on my left leg. I'm in quite a lot of pain when walking, but Celebrex helps a bit.

I have two possible dates for my TKR - one is 6 weeks before we fly interstate for Christmas with relatives. The other is three weeks after this trip.

I would like to get the surgery asap but am a bit worried that I may not be up to the interstae holiday if I get it done beforehand.

I need someone who's had the surgery to help me make my mind up please. ???

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: I don't know whether to have TKR before or after holiday
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 10:17:46 PM »
You may get a better response on the Total Knee Replacements board down at the bottom of the bulletin board. I haven't had a tkr just a scope so not to much help, but I have read about the recovery some because I will need one someday. I understand there is a long recovery with lots of pain and non weight bearing for up to 6 weeks. There is also alot of Physical Theraphy sessions afterwards and you will be on a cpm machine for a few weeks. I think after your trip would be best, but I don't know your pain so that is a decision you have to figure out. Good Luck!!! ;)
Right leg amputee.
Osteoarthritis in left knee.
Medial femoral condyle defect, arthoscopy 8-2-10
Grade 3 defects, patella, medial femoral condyle, tibia scoped1-12-2011
Physical theraphy and awaiting microfrature 2-1-12

Offline mnanc

• Regular Poster
  • tkr 12/17/08
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 10:31:54 PM »
Hi Judy
You can do it in 6 wks and be ready to go or maybe not. I did TKR over xmas 2 years ago (when I too was 57). I'm a professor and I was in pretty decent shape going in so I thought the 4 wks I had off between semesters would be sufficient. Turned out not to be so, I missed the first two weeks of the Spring semester PLUS, and this is a big plus, I came back to work weighing about half as much as before the operation--I'm thin anyway--walking with a cane and with a broken foot. (It broke as soon as I stood up in the hospital). For the first month it was all I could do to get through my classes and get home to my pain medication. Some people's operations come off without a hitch, so I think that's why I'm telling you it might work. The other problem you want to keep in mind, though, is the pain associated with TKR. It is all-consuming and if it's still ongoing at xmas you'll have a difficult time enjoying your vacation. I don't mean to sound depressing--this is just the reality of TKR.

Offline Judy52

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 01:41:47 AM »
Thankyou both for replying - I have only just seen your posts.

I would really like to hold off the TKR until January, but my pain is getting worse. Yesterday I had a very bad day and yet didn't do any more than usual. Today I'm taking diclofenac instead of Celebrex to see if that helps. I used to take diclofenac but went onto Celebrex after my last visit to my doctor as she was worried about my stomach.

I'm thinking of going to my doctor again and asking for a cortisone injection. I had one a few months ago and it gave me good relief for about 2 to 3 weeks. As well as our Christmas holiday, we're going on another holiday in less than 2 weeks - also booked ages ago. I'm wondering if I'll be able to enjoy it if my leg keeps hurting the way it did yesterday.

I also posted this in the TKR section when I realized this wasn't the right place for it, Kimberly. Thanks for your opinion anyway - all experiences are useful to hear about.

Judy

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 02:49:03 PM »
This is a tough call, but I think you might be forgetting about flying so soon after surgery.  Frankly I don't think your surgeon will release you to fly.  But I'm not a doctor.  Lets just say my surgeon will not allow flying for 7 weeks, and then only a 3 hour flight.  Talk to the doctor.  Sorry your in pain.  eagle

Offline Judy52

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 02:07:16 AM »
Thanks Eaglemom

My knee improved amazingly after taking one Diclofenac 50mg yesterday. I can't beleive how much better it feels. It seems to me that Celebrex might be better for my stomach, but doesn't do much for my knee inflammation.

I now don't feel so worried about the two holidays we're having and think that I should be able to hold off until the 20th of January as long as I have my Diclofenac for bad days.

By the way, I'm in Australia, and our holidays are to New Zealand and Tasmania - both around a three hour plane trip from Brisbane where we live.

support