Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: synvisc one this morning  (Read 8184 times)

Offline chuck172

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
synvisc one this morning
« on: September 22, 2010, 06:14:42 PM »
I'm a veteran of many 3-shot synvisc episodes. I just got my first synvisc one shot in both knees. I must say they were extremely painful. I told the Dr. never again. I'll go back to the three shot.
The Dr. had a hard time pushing all the synvisc into the joint. I thought I was going to hit the ceiling. It's now about 4 hours latter and I'm really suffering. I can't bend the right knee without a whole lotta of pain. I'm icing off and on, but I'm getting a bit worried. Is this reaction common? I've never had a problem with the 3 weekly shots.

Offline tenisfan

• Regular Poster
Re: synvisc one this morning
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 07:15:41 PM »
oh no i am having the shot next week this does not sound good  ??? yikes
2006 right knee surgery, meniscus
2008 left knee lateral release,  meniscus
2009 microfracture left knee, lateral meniscus,  fragment
2009 cartilage transplant oats
2010 loose fragment removal, meniscus fraying,found another defect
2010 oats failed, synvesic injections ,2011 right knee meniscus

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 07:30:12 PM »
I had terrible pain, but didn't get better of them either.
So you aren't the only one. Relax and ice the knees.
If you get a temperature contact your doc, that could be a sign of infection.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline chuck172

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 08:14:18 PM »
tenisfan, please beware- It hurts like hell. At least with me it did. I'd opt for the 3shots.

Offline debbieo

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Able to will brain energy into muscles and limbs
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 08:36:36 PM »
I got three.

Each were painful, but I do pain well.
 First time, knee got worse, second time, knee got worse. Doc says 3rd time a charm. Foolish me! Third time knee got worse.  It was several months before the knee got better--well as better as it gets.
Tossed that money down the drain.

Found a new Doc.

That's my story. Others have had better outcomes.

Wonder Woman

tkr 9.14.09  tibia fracture 04
As Lovely as Aphrodite—as Wise as Athena and the strength of Hercules—she is known only as Wonder Woman, but who she is, or whence she came, nobody knows!  
I WILL NOT BE DEFINED BY WHAT I CAN NOT DO!
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=48797.0

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 10:19:23 PM »
I have not had Synvisc but I had Euflexxa - the 3 shots given in one dose as my OS prefers it so its like a big one off shot. No problem for me, although I had some local into the knee first as I am a girl.  :P No pain afterwards, no swelling, nothing. I decided against Synvisc as it has rooster derivatives in it and I don't react well to eggs sometimes. I think sometimes it depends on the amount of functional joint space you have left - if you have severe joint narrowing and a big one off shot then the knee might react. I had no problems with the whole dosage going in, so perhaps if there was trouble with it going in the knee is a bit more upset?

As said, if you get temperature, redness or heat in the joint check it isn't infected.

Hope things improve

Lottie
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline chuck172

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 10:28:54 PM »
I believe you are 100% correct Lottie. It is the joint space or lack of that increases the pressure and the pain of the shot. I have no redness or temperature (yet) but still unable to walk without canes. Hopefully by tomorrow the synvisc will dissipate and I'll have some relief.

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 11:12:23 PM »
Chuck

Has your knee swollen up? Just a thought to maybe help the extra fluid shift around would be to try warm-cold-warm-cold type therapy. If the joint IS swollen avoid any form of heat and stick with icing as heat simply makes the swelling worse and could aggravate things. But if it isn't swollen, but is stiff and painful, a moist warmth (shower, heated flannels) and then some ice and some gentle attempts at bending in between might help the fluid move about. Just a thought - I know sometimes when my knee is stiff and achy the mix of temperatures can help motion. BUT as I say, if swollen, avoid anything hot. Perhaps even a long soak in a warm bath. Sounds like your knee is a bit too full tonight!

take care

Lottie

Offline tenisfan

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 11:12:59 PM »
oh no!!!!!!!!!! i have no joint space :o i will dope myself up before i go. Crap

Offline chuck172

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 11:38:40 PM »
I can't tell if my knees are swollen anymore. They are perpetually swollen. I think I'll wait till tomorrow for warm moist applications.
tennisfan, my wife and I are getting a kick out of your posts. Hopefully everybody is different and your shot might not hurt at all. Regardless, you have to let us know how it goes. Remember, "Cowards die a thousand deaths, the brave die but once"

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 04:55:42 AM »
Here's my two cents - I've had numerous one and three shots, all of which were fine.  I had the Synvisc One and will NEVER EVER NEVER in this life time do that again.  I'm a pretty tough old bird, but holy cow!!!!!  Its so much fluid that  I thought my toes would pop off, or something. After wards the surgeon says "it may be a little sore." Ya think!!!!  I literally could not bend my leg, had to walk peg legged style to the car.  It wasn't pretty, lets just leave it at that.  I spent the next three days peg legged and on ice - then the swelling, excessive fluid was gone.  Sadly after all of that it really didn't do me any good except cost a big amount of money. Wish you the best - ice afterwords.  eagle

Offline tenisfan

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 06:14:52 AM »
oh my Lord :-\ well lets see does anyone have any good news? hmmmmmmmm well i get the shot next thursday so if everyone heres a scream it is coming from me

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 08:04:55 AM »
Is Synvisc One a "thicker" type of fluid? I have to say I wimped out by having the local shot into the joint first, I felt nothing apart from some mild pressure! My OS said he can get into the joint space better having used a local and reduces his risk of being kicked in the face!!  :o 8)

Where do people have these? I was expecting it into the kind of meniscal bit under the kneecap but he went in at the side under the kneecap. The thought of that was worse than the event as thats my worse area for cartilage loss!

Hope the knee is easier today Chuck

tenisfan, Lottie prescribes some drugs beforehand and a large glass of something after  ;D

Lottie

Offline chuck172

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 11:10:58 AM »
The knee is a bit better this morning. Still very stiff, I have to stay off it. Eaglemom, I share your sentiments. Never again. Tenisfan, maybe you still have the option of getting the three shots. If you do, and maybe you ought to consider it. Hopefully others that have had an easier episode will chime in. Like I said, everybody is different.
Lottiefox, I've had a local mixed in with cortisone. Painless. This 3in1 synvisc is just a tremendous amount of meds. going into a very limited joint space. End result is pressure/pain. Like Eaglemom says, "never again".
I'm wondering if this 3in1 deal is just the insurance companies way of cutting down costs.

Offline MorganT

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 03:10:19 PM »
Has anyone ever heard of injections of homeopathic bee venom?  No, really, I'm serious! I just started going to a medical doctor who also specializes in some natural and homeopathic treatments. I would have thought this was totally nuts--except that I remembered  having met a beekeeper  several years ago, who told me he used to have severe arthritis in his hands.  After keeping bees and being stung so many times, his arthritis is gone and he is pain free (except for the bee stings I guess!)   At the time I thought I'd rather put up with arthritis than be stung by bees--but then I developed severe osteoarthritis in both knees.  I have a lot of pain when walking, and stiffness after sitting for more than a half hour--my MRI's show that I have very little cartilage left.   I'm basically bone on bone and I limp pretty badly.   I've had arthroscopic surgery twice in my right knee to remove loose junk. The last one was 3 yrs ago. It took me 4 months to recover from the last surgery--ridiculous, really. I had so much stiffness and swelling and pain after the surgery and I felt like it didn't really do anything to relieve the pain I was having--the only good thing was my knee no longer locked up.  So I was slowly coming around to the idea of a TKR--one knee at a time.  But since I'm only 55, I really wanted to wait about 5 yrs. Anyway, I went to see this new dr and decided to grit my teeth and try these injections. (I have never tried Synvisc).
I've had 4 bee venom injections so far. They hurt like crazy when the needle goes in and I feel like choking the doctor--but once the needle's out, it burns and itches a little for an hour or so, but no swelling or continuing pain.  Once the needle's out, and I have forgiven the doctor, I can get right up and put weight on the knees. I usually bring ice packs in the car with me and put them on as i drive home, just because of the burning/itching--I forgot last time, and found I didn't need them. A few days after the first shots, I noticed that I  could sit for an hour or more and I had no stiffness when getting up and walking. That was a great relief! After 4 shots, I can tell you that the knee I had surgery on feels pretty good. The other one is not responding as well. I was ready to give up on that one, and possibly have surgery again to remove loose pieces (it feels like I'm walking on gravel sometimes) but the dr.  encouraged me to try a couple more shots before I give up.
I'd be interested to know if anyone else has tried this--and also would like to know if anyone is interested in hearing my continuing saga.  I'm scheduled for another shot on  9/30/10.