Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Pre - TKR Exercises  (Read 992 times)

Offline barbarae

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Pre - TKR Exercises
« on: October 21, 2010, 08:03:51 PM »
Hi All,

I'm 55 years old. In 2006 I had a total knee replacement on my right knee and have recovered fairly well with few problems.
I am on the waiting list to have a total knee replacement on my left knee.

My gait is horrible, so I practice walking slowly and without a limp, daily.
I am trying to use my right knee as my good knee ( putting my left foot down first before stepping off curbs, etc). But my brain is so used to the reverse, I have to be very conscious of how i step and walk.  I've fallen several times in the past few months, which has made me realize that my strength sucks!

I have avascular necrosis and arthritis in my hips and osteo, rheumatoid and inflamitory arthritis, with extreme pain in my upper and lower back, knees, feet and wrists.

I recently purchased a new condo with a fabulous gym. I'd love to take advantage of it more often but frightened of hurting myself.  :o
I use the recumbent bike on the easiest setting without a problem. The walking machines are a nightmare for me even on the flat, easiest settings.

I have no butt muscles, my quads have become very weak, but I wonderful strong calves!
Does anyone have any advise regarding which exercises would be safe, so I can be in the best shape possible prior to my next knee replacement.
Thanks for your input!
Barbarae

Offline andyek

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Pre - TKR Exercises
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 08:41:20 PM »
I am now 73, had two TKR's 4 and 3 years ago.  I had a trainer before the replacements.  If you can't do that, get the PT person you will use and have them recommend exercises.  The will probably recommend upper body as well as lower exercises.  For an old guy I was in good shape, I was able to leave the hospital the second day after surgery both times.  In two months I was playing golf after the first surgery.  The second one took longer  due to complicatons, edema, gout and now a cyst.  I would recommend not using the walker, cane or crutch very long, get rid of them asap.  You will have a hospital PT person, one at home and one outside the home.  Get to the outside PT as soon as you can.  Find someone to tallk with that has experienced the same operation.  I participated after surgery with a UCLA PHd and acutually took a course on how to help patients.  It was rewarding to me and the patient.  The PHd Candidate's study indicated people heal sooner and are in better mental state with such help.  I called weekly to see how they were doiing.  Good luck.

support