Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: PT seeking knee advice- meniscus tear?  (Read 1049 times)

Offline hoothoothoot

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
PT seeking knee advice- meniscus tear?
« on: September 15, 2010, 02:24:40 PM »
Early July of this year I went paintballing with some friends. The next morning my knee was extremely swollen, I could bear about 25-50% weight on it with a very antalgic gait pattern. The swelling lasted for 2-3 days. I used a conservative rest, ice, compression, elevation treatment for about 2-3 weeks, with the pain gradually going down.

I continued to have large increases of pain with a deep squat and any closed chain activity (running, jumping). The pain at the time was mostly on the lateral side of the knee, LCL was a little tender. I noticed an increase of protrusion coming from the anterolateral joint line when I would go into a deep squat or begin the concentric phase of a jump (which I can no longer notice). I also recall periods of time where the knee would catch, and then pop very loudly when I would push through the limitation. I would also have pain posteriorly.

This pain flared up the day after my wedding 2 months later, my guess is due to using it a lot when dancing. The swelling was not as severe and the pain went down after about 1-2 days.

Now, over 3 months after the injury initially occured, I continue to have pain with jumping, running, squatting, and stairs. I thought maybe it was patellofemoral syndrome, since I do have a history of that. I tried taping my patella lateral to medial before running on the treadmill- this made it 10x worse.

Currently I cannot pinpoint my pain location. It appears to be more medial, however it's so hard to determine because it seems like it's either under the patella or "in the joint." Before it was so easy to find where it hurt. It seems to behave so much like patellofemoral pain syndrome, but conservative treatment in this direction has not helped.

I am nervous I could have a meniscus tear. I would prefer to wait until January when my deductible can be met, but that's a long time to go at this point not being able to run and dealing with this pain.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 215
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: PT seeking knee advice- meniscus tear?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 04:14:42 PM »
There is only one suggestion - get down and see an Orthopaedic Consulant as soon as possible - the knee is the most valuable limb you have - don`t wait until the end of the year.

Best

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon