Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: new here awaiting microfracture hypermobile as well lol  (Read 807 times)

Offline bluebluecow

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
new here awaiting microfracture hypermobile as well lol
« on: September 15, 2010, 12:53:49 PM »
HI all

firstly bit of back history, i have hypermobility, this lead to recurrent dislocations of my left knee, this was sort of resolved 15yrs ago when I had a trans tibual transfer (sorry spelling not my best thing). I was 19 at the time. This worked for about 5 yrs since then my knee has started dislocating again. After 3 different hospitals, who mainly told me I need a knee replacement, but wont get one till Im 60 (great). I seem to have a good surgeon now.

I had a MRI scan recently and they have found that my knee cap is now on a 45 degree angle, stuck tight on the left hand side, with no cartalidge on it. The 1st course of action is to put a camera in, and if they can get to the back of the knee cap (it may be too tight) then they will perform micro fractures.

What is this like and recovery like too

Been told I have a good few years of hard work ahead, long term is to try and build up the cartalidge, then with pysio and surgery they will slowly try to release the knee cap from its side wards position and start to get in in a normal position, re grove the joint and then tighten up with every thing in the right place hopefully

Liz

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: new here awaiting microfracture hypermobile as well lol
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 01:13:50 PM »
With mfx you will regrow carliage but it will not be as good as your original cartliage.  You will grow fibrocartliage whiich is just a kind of patch up and has a lifespan of between 5 and 10  years if your lucky and longer if your very lucky.  Lots of people on this board have had mfx so there's plenty of experience here.  mY surgery was chrondoplasty which is used for smaller defects than mfx.  Microfracture has had very good results with lots of people but can fail through not fault of the patient in the early stages.  They can take typically about a year to fully settle in but you can usually walk OK after 12 weeks, some people don't feel entirely back to normal for a year and a half.  Recovery is very difficult in cases where the patient has other things wrong with the knee like plica for example which is hard enough to deal with on its own.

All the best and keep us posted!
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

support