Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Which would you choose between these two scanners?  (Read 3037 times)

Offline Ow! My Poor Knee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Which would you choose between these two scanners?
« on: September 14, 2010, 10:07:20 AM »
Hi,
    I've got two scanners locally and don't know which one to choose. Closed scanners don't bother me but I know the open one is newer (6 months old).

The blurb below is from the respective clinics websites.

PS The differnce in price isn't that important.

PPS It's one knee I want scanned.

PPS. I'm paying for the scan myself (no insurance)

MRI scanning facilities using the MAGNETOM C Scanner, one of the most sophisticated scanners on the market and the only "C" shaped open MRI scanner available in the  area. Price £650

The MRI Unit is a Siemens 1.5 Tesla AvantoTIM scanner capable of undertaking a wide range of scanning applications, producing high quality resolution scans in the shortest of times. Price £450
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 10:10:05 AM by Ow! My Poor Knee »
Resident in the UK

Tibial Tubercle Transfer performed on R.Knee circa 1989

"I told you I was ill"  -Spike Milligan's epitaph

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: Which would you choose between these two scanners?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 10:53:29 AM »
They're both Siemens scanners, I guess the newer one is a more refined variant and *might* yield slightly better images.

I'd also stress that regardless of the machine the person doing the scanning and then the radiologist has to be in tune with what is being looked for and experienced in reading the images. I'm guessing you want things like cartilage damage looked at, effect of the TT on kneecap and stuff......be aware that the MRi will only provide static images for things like the amount of cartilage wear, ligaments, depth of trochlear groove and so on and how the kneecap sits in that particular position. If you're needing more information regards the tracking of the kneecap then you'll probably need a CT scan of the leg at varying degrees of flexion along with long leg, merchant and sunrise X-rays.....MRI scans are not terribly useful for kneecap tracking issues apart from seeing what wear you have in the lining (which is of course useful if thats what you need to know!)

Lottie

Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline Ow! My Poor Knee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Which would you choose between these two scanners?
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 12:42:59 PM »
Thanks Lottie,
                          The problem I'm having is with the patella tendon on my right knee. It's hurts all the time and I hobble around with a frame and  it HURTS LIKE HELL!!! when I bend the knee. I was hoping a scan might show what could be wrong. Whether an MRI is best for that or not I don't really know. I don't know much about other types of scanners. Any more advice would be greatly appreciated.

Richard
Resident in the UK

Tibial Tubercle Transfer performed on R.Knee circa 1989

"I told you I was ill"  -Spike Milligan's epitaph

support