Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: any tradsmen electricans plumbers carpenters that have had TNR and back to work.  (Read 968 times)

Offline skibikehike

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I need TNR on both knees bone on bone on both.trying to do my homework and find the right knee inplant.First doc only does the zimmer screw and cement 15 year knee which I was ready to do than canceled and now in the process of talking to another doc that does the smith 30 year knee.The 30 year knee is cemented not screwed and cemented but 5000 times less friction on the plastic piece because of the metal piece which is like a ceramic.dont know which one is better for the long run.I am 50 years old and yea you would say 30 year go for it but it only fassends to the bone with glue chances are high for falure? vs screws and cement? would like to talk to any tradsmen that does what i do climb ladders all day up and down stairs etc.would like to know how you are doing after TNR and back at work any things you use to do but cant do now?

Offline arthriticknee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Physiotherapist
    • The Arthritic Knee
Hi Skibikehike,
Firstly, calling a certain prosthesis a "15 year" joint and another a "30 year" joint is giving you a false impression of the expected life of a joint.
Many factors affect outcome. The only way we find out how long a joint replacement put in in 2010 will last will be to wait until they start to fail. To my knowledge no company has 30 year data on a prosthesis they are currently using. If they did it would mean that no improvements have been made in the technology in the last 30 years.
One of the biggest factors for you will be your age. Surgeons are reluctant to put joint replacements in young people because they ask so much of them. You will walk more, run more and work more than someone 10 years older and much more than someone 20 years older.

The main reason knees "wear out" is loosening of the prosthesis rather than material failure (although this does still occur). The implant still has to attach on to your bones and they will not be getting any younger. The younger you have your first joint replacement, the less time (on average) it will last. The same prosthesis in a 70 year old will in all probability last them their entire life, regardless of how long they live.
Subsequent revisions are technically more difficult and the outcome worse.

Basically the probability of any knee replacement lasting 30 years in an active 50 year old tradesman is very small. 20 years would be an awesome result and allow your first revision to hopefully see you out.

As you are 50 a couple of opinions is not a bad idea, get a few different heads thinking about your long term future.

Re issues for return to work: I have helped plenty of tradies recover after a replacement. This common issues are:
Scar tenderness: Many people will find it painful to kneel on the incision even years after surgery.
Range of Motion:  Replaced knees generally don't bend as far as normal knees. Lack of range can limit access to tight spaces and work at floor level.
Other than that, most tradies say the relief from pain lets them do more work than they were before.
Hope this sheds a little light on the issue.
Talk to a couple of surgeons and see what the consensus is.

Jonny.
Remember that any advice on an online forum is of a general nature.
You are always advised to be assessed by a medical professional so your individual situation is addressed.

Offline skibikehike

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Thanks for the reply Johnny.
I have had 4 docs look at my knees and all said new knees.Had both knees scoped once, torn miniscus left and right sides on both knees.I know the 30 year knee has not been out for 30 years and tested just useing that 30 year as a difference in knee inplants.It is just the 3 year data that they have that claims it will last 30 years which you know.My biggest problem is not being able to talk to tradies that have had a TNR and  see what there limitations are. Did not want to jump into this even thought i nam in pain every day and cant do my job and all of a sudden be disabled. If I was 65 I would not care as much because I would be retired. Thanks Ron

support