Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: They just don't get it!  (Read 1323 times)

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
They just don't get it!
« on: December 21, 2010, 05:46:29 PM »
I am sure I am not alone with my ongoing knee problems with people not being very understanding. After a heavy fall back in October 2007 onto right knee while jogging could no longer run and got sharp pain and catching. I had a scope done in November 2009 and now have problems with scar tissue and still cannot run kneel or squat as I keep feeling pain at the bottom of my right knee that always swollen.

Both pre op and now post op my family and work colleages think my right knee is fine and have nothing much wrong with my knee. I had my medial plica removed and fat pad trimmed and now even my OS says on his report there nothing much wrong with my right knee even though something was done during the surgery. When I saw the Pain Doctor he said there was nothing wrong inside my right knee when my OS looked inside but had to tell him the medial plica was removed and fat pad was trimmed.

People think that because I can go to the gym and work full time as a Greenkeeper on a Golf Course which can be very physical at times that my knee problems cannot be that bad. I am restricted in what I can do at work as I cannot really squat or kneel without feeling pain at the bottom of my right knee. If I try to run I feel pain at the bottom of my knee and was told by my OS to run through the pain and my Mum told me to try and run but I cannot as there is too much swelling and pain at the bottom of my knee.

I know that my 6 sister and brother feel knee pain at times but think we all have maltracking problems but they can all still run and kneel and squat while I cannot as it is too painful. My eldest sister is in her late 40s and she more physically active then I am and feels knee pain at times but can do more things they I can do. The thing that really annoys me is when my family say it does not matter if you can no longer run but I use to love running and sure they would miss running and jogging if they could no longer do it. I use to be a good long distance runner at school and really missing not be able to jog with my friend who a keen long distance runner.

Then get told by family and some KG members do not have another scope but if no surgical treatments fail and another 2nd scope was needed then willing to take a risk. I know that the majority of KG members have had more then 1 scope on their knees and just because surgery not helped solved or eased their knee problems does not mean it wont work for me. My next door neighbour had a 2nd scope on her knee as the 1st scope was not successful and now her 2nd scope has been a success.

My goal is to be able to go out jogging again and will not be put off by people negative suggestions and comments.
It would also be nice to be pain free when squatting and kneeling and know my knee will never be 100% again but would like to see some improvements and less knee pain.

I am sure others on this board know what I am talking about and know how I am feeling right now when you get family and friends making out your knee problem is nothing to be concerned about.

Nick :) {2010} :)

RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Miss Beams

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: They just don't get it!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 07:29:27 PM »
no i can completely relate to what you are saying, you are not alone my hubby is fed up with the ongoing knee saga! :)
06/10  L knee trauma(horseriding accident) MCL
10/10 MRI ACL/MCL/G4CM/PF
12.01.2011 scope ACL intact, chronoplasty and 2 x microfractures FMC and trochlear ,MRI over reported(knee not as bad as made out),   time and patience will tell:)

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Re: They just don't get it!
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 10:12:13 PM »
Nick the good thing about this site is the fact you can come on and have a moan and complain to people who understand what your going through, I try not to mention my knee at work now as I am pretty sure my work mates have heard enough about the ongoing saga of my knee, I think most people assume that because I have had 2 ops this year it must be back to normal by now, but unfortunatley I am still having problems with it, which is why I find this forum so good cos I know when I come on here with a question or even just a moan after a bad day someone will pop on and give me some advice.
I know sometimes you feel people on here are trying to talk you out of having another scope but I think its more that people care about you and want whats best for you, and that may or may not be another knee op, all of us who read your posts regularly know how much the knee pain affects your life and I'm sure I speak for everybody when I say we want you to do whatever you can to get things sorted to get rid of the pain and get back to running again.
Take care Tez
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision