Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon...Conflicting Post-Op Information  (Read 7136 times)

Offline Impatient

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Ruptured Patellar Tendon...Conflicting Post-Op Information
« on: September 12, 2010, 10:37:19 PM »
First of all, I would like to thank everyone that replies in advance.  I ruptured my Patellar Tendon August 1st and had surgery to repair it August 3rd.  My understanding is that the doc used sutures to repair it.  The doc put me in a hinged brace and allowed me 30 degrees ROM and gave me a  prescription for PT beginning two and a half weeks after the procedure on Aug 18th. The therapist started me on some quad sets and leg raises and had me bending my knee within the 30 degrees of my brace.  After about two days, I was able to do leg raises with relatively no pain.  I switched to a different therapy facility on Sept 1st because the first place did not have E Stim which is what my doc ordered originally.  The new therapy facility seemed much more knowledgeable and had better equipment.  They also seemed more aggressive with my therapy which I liked.  In addition to the leg raises, they had me standing on a sponge pad and put pe in a machine that moved my knee passively up to the alotted 45 degrees that the doctor now gave me. 

On Sept 7th, five weeks post-op, the therapist had me out of my brace and was letting me bend my knees as far as they could go on my own from a seated position (leg extension position).  He instructed me to stop if I felt any pain.  I was able to get to about 80 degrees.  He to told me to do this exercise twice a day at home for 3 sets of 15 in addition to a leg curl exercise with the same parameters.  He gave me a rubber band to use for resistance.  I have been doing the exercises the best I can and stop if my knee starts aching or feels fatigued that day. 

I had a follow-up visit Sept 10 with my doc and informed him of what I was doing with the therapist.  His response was that I should not be bending my knee that far and that I should not be doing that for another 3 or 4 weeks.  He set my brace to 60 degrees and told me to adjust it to 75 degrees in another 2 weeks and to come back and see him in 4 weeks.  His response has thrown me into conflict with my therapist.  Everything I read gives a different time table for the physical therapy.  I suspect the doc is being conservative but I liked the progress I was making in therapy.  Not sure what I should do?   

Offline prech

• Regular Poster
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon...Conflicting Post-Op Information
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 09:02:10 PM »
Glad to hear of your positive progress.  Not being a trained professional, I'm just speaking from logic and reading others' experiences post-op.  How much experience does your PT have with recovery from tendon repair?  Further, as your PT is seeing you more often, perhaps he/she has a different (better?) grasp of your rehabiliation.

I had patellar tendon fenestrations (slits cut longitudinally at the tendon origin) to instigate healing and bleeding from patellar tendinosis, and the therapy there was pretty aggressive, off crutches by 2 weeks, strengthening pretty soon thereafter.  Then again, the tendon integrity in my case wasn't a concern, as the fibers were cut/sutured as in tendon repair cases...

Out of curiosity, Impatient, what caused the rupture?  It seems ruptures are in rare cases where the tendon is already very weak, like after sustaining cortisone, etc.

Offline Impatient

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 01:06:52 AM »
Prech,

The PT I am going to cam highly recommended.  The facility is well established and from what I've noticed, the majority of the clients are of the athletic type.  Lots of runners and tri-athletes from talking to some of them.  I m almost embarrassed to say how I ruptured the tendon.  But I was walking down the stairs carrying something in my hands and the next thing I remember is being on the floor at the bottom of the stairs in excruciating pain.  The best I can tell, I missed the second to last step from the bottom and fell forward, landing directly on my knee cap with all my body weight behind it.  It felt like somebody hit me in the knee with a sledge hammer.

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 05:59:09 AM »
There are a couple of very long threads here on ruptured patella and quad tendons. sign on to these and you will be joining a very knowledgeable and supportive community of fellow sufferers.

Sue  ;)
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline Impatient

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 09:31:57 PM »
Thanks for the info Sue but I do not see the links.

Online John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 209
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 10:07:12 PM »
Hi

Read up the thread covering a Ruptured Patella Tendon ... How did you sustain your injury?

Where do you live?   be free to ask questions, we are all here to help you.

Do you wish to receive three documents which I have which outlines the rehab procedure?

Take care

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Impatient

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 02:54:48 AM »
I incurred my injury as I was walking down the stairs carrying something in my hands and missed a step causing me to fall forward landing directly on my knee.  That would be great if you could email me those articles.  Thanks for your help!!!

[email protected]

Online John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 07:30:58 AM »
Hi

I have sent you documents which will give you an idea of the rehab procedure - Patience is the keyword -

Read previous posts on the RPT thread - ask questions - DON`T rush it, it takes time.

Take care

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Capt. John

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 07:27:47 PM »
John42 or Impatient,

I ruptured my lower patellar tendon December 18, 2010 and I am having surgery December 21 (today). I am 49, very athletic, and not looking forward to the rehab. I have not spoken yet to the surgeon, but I hear he likes to cast the leg for 6 - 8 weeks, which also tells me he probably will be conservative with the rehab. I also would appreciate any advice (tricks) for showering, using the head, etc.

Any help is welcome and I would like to get those rehab documents sent to me that you discuused.

My email is: [email protected]

Thank you.
49 yr. very athletic male - Complete rupture of the lower right patellar tendon after partner stepped on foot durring sparring Dec. 18, 2010. Surgery using permanant sutures on Dec. 21, 2010 (no temporary wire) and placed in a Velcro Leg immobilizer.
Surgeon was Dr. Hanna, Riverside Kaiser Hospital

Online John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 10:30:09 PM »
Welcome to the RPT thread on KneeGuru     - hope the op goes well.   

I have sent you rehab document - read with care - how did you sustain your injury?

Important that you take care to read as many of the previous posts on this thread - ask questions - you are in for a long haul to recovery - this is a rare and very serious injury

Best wishes

Johnk/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Capt. John

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 08:17:54 PM »
Thank you. 15 hours post-op, leg hurts even with the hydrocodone which Im popping every 4 hours.
It appears some rehab quicker than others. Surgeon said I ripped my tendon off the bottom of the kneecap and that it was pretty torn up. He sutured the three main strands together permanant sutures.
Good news is that he put me in a soft cast with immbolizer. As long as I keep that leg straight, things should be OK as long as follow his protocol.
49 yr. very athletic male - Complete rupture of the lower right patellar tendon after partner stepped on foot durring sparring Dec. 18, 2010. Surgery using permanant sutures on Dec. 21, 2010 (no temporary wire) and placed in a Velcro Leg immobilizer.
Surgeon was Dr. Hanna, Riverside Kaiser Hospital

Online John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 10:21:39 PM »
Hi

Glad the op went well - suggest that you now transfer your posts onto the Ruptured Patella Tendon thread as follows .....

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=8389.new;topicseen#new

and then read as many of the previous posts on this thread - This you will find very informative.

Ask questions - remember - patience for a long haul

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

support