Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Is there a way to view my muscles (quadriceps) before surgery?  (Read 1243 times)

Offline Flavio4000

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Is there a way to view my muscles (quadriceps) before surgery?
« on: September 10, 2010, 10:52:10 PM »
Hey guys, Im just wondering this because I have a very rare congenital syndromme called Beals Syndromme and all my bones and muscles are quite different than normal. I also have muscle hypoplasia and its very hard for me to develop and build muscle.

My quadriceps look much more different than normal ones and Ive been wondering for a while if it would even be possible to build them because of my different anatomy. Is there a way to view my muscle shape and condition without surgery?

Every doctor that I go after my knee subluxated tells me that my quadriceps are very underdeveloped and that I should do more quadricep work but I tell them that its very hard for me to develop them because of my syndromme but its as if they didnt believe me.

Offline arthriticknee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • Physiotherapist
    • The Arthritic Knee
Re: Is there a way to view my muscles (quadriceps) before surgery?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 04:57:52 AM »
Hi Flavio,
I must admit that I am more familiar with Marfan's Syndrome than Beals but as they are fairly similar the same advice probably holds.
There are ways to look at your muscles before surgery (an MRI is a simple one), but this would not tell you about the function of the muscles only their physical location and size.
As you are talking about surgery I am assuming that you are having issues with dislocating patellae. No one would use an open surgical procedure just to have a look, and as the treatment for Beals is symptomatic you need to have a significant problems before you take any drastic measures.

In complicated cases like your it is always good to get a second (or third) opinion before having surgery as many operations cannot be easily reversed. As your connective tissue does not behave in the same manner as other peoples it is more difficult to predict outcomes following surgery.
You should look at surgery as something to do when non-surgical management has been exhausted and your problem is having a significant negative effect on your life.
It may be worth while asking around to see if there are any physios interested in challenging cases. The usual stuff won't work with you so a problem solving approach could be of benefit. Anyone assuming the "usual" stuff will work on you is probably missing the point.
Someone needs to be willing to spend the time getting to know a bit more about how your muscles behave and to develop a solution from there.
Good luck.
Remember that any advice on an online forum is of a general nature.
You are always advised to be assessed by a medical professional so your individual situation is addressed.