Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Anyone have issues from a Femoral Osteotomy  (Read 1112 times)

Offline breezy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Anyone have issues from a Femoral Osteotomy
« on: September 09, 2010, 09:08:57 PM »
I had a femoral osteotomy last November, first with an extermal fixator then that was removed in December and a plate was placed. This was all done due to a chronic dislocating knee cap. it is now September and I am still having alot of issues with this. My knee cap is sitting laterally and won't move so I have a lot of popping when I bend it. I can't bend it when I walk just when I sit down. Has anyone that has had this surgery had as many problems that I am having? This is getting really frustrating.

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 26
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
Re: Anyone have issues from a Femoral Osteotomy
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 03:15:40 AM »
Hi Breezy, I had a femoral derotational osteotomy last October, along with a tibia derotation and a TTT. I had my surgery due to patella instability and knee pain. I had only internal fixation from the start--a plate and screws on the femur, plate and screws on the tibia, and screws on the tibial tubercle for the TTT.

I can't say I experienced any of the issues you note. My biggest problems with my surgery were just pain and numbness around the incision site on the femur, pain and numbness lateral to the incision on the tibia, pain and irritation on the inside of my knee due to some pesky screws, and some reduced range of motion in both my hip and the knee. My kneecap seems stable and appears to be in the right place. My knee pops, but it popped before too, I don't know that I was expecting that to ever go away LOL.

I had my hardware removed last week because my doctor felt that the irritation in my thigh and most certainly the irritation on the tibia was due to the metal. So far so good. Can't tell much in a week, but a lot of the movements that caused pain before seem to be resolved now.

Your issues sure do sound really frustrating, I hope you are able to get them resolved. Do you do any kind of stretching of your quadriceps muscle? Mobilizations of the patella? What has your doctor said? Seems like some targeted PT is in order if you haven't had any yet.
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline breezy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 03:35:56 AM »
Hey crankerchick, thanks for your reply. I have been going to pt since February and we are just now getting it to bend and my pt cannot get my kneecap to budge. My OS told me just this past Tuesday that my kneecap is so far gone that "back in the day we would have took it out and thrown it away". He knows that my kneecap still sit so laterally and he said that that it will always be there. I am beginning to feel that this whole procedure was botched somehow. I have read other posts on the same procedure and there hasnt been anyone that has had this issue. I have had problems since the beginning with horrible muscle spasms while the external fixator was in place then developed infections where the pins were. I feel that if he went on with the ORIF instead of the external I might have had a better outcome, but thats just my opinion.

Glad to hear you are having good luck with yours. good luck in the future!!!

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 26
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 06:01:17 AM »
Did you have a proximal osteotomy or a distal osteotomy? If your patella is still misaligned then it sounds like you need a fresh set of eyes on it. Did you have anything done in your knee, like an arthroscopy or anything? If your knee hardly bends at all, it could be a scar tissue issue too.

Sounds kind of fishy to me. I hope you are able to get things sorted out! Best of luck to you.
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline breezy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 07:21:56 AM »
To be honest with you I really don't know I only got the name osteotomy the day of surgery. He only described what he was going to do. I've had two arthroscropics in the past they were lateral releases with medial reefings (of course they didnt work) There is scar tissue there, my PT and I have discussed it and also he had to do a MUA on it two months ago but put me back in an immobilizer. I had thought about checking to see if my insurance would approve me going to another OS and have someone else check it out.

Thank You

support