Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Pain when bending knee while walking  (Read 1134 times)

Offline john10001

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Pain when bending knee while walking
« on: September 01, 2010, 06:25:32 PM »
My left knee/leg hurts when I walk or put weight on it. However if I keep it as straight as possible and walk in a certain way sort of swinging it a little as I walk while keeping it straight it doesn't hurt, or hurt as much.

I'm not overly familiar with all the medical names for the different parts of the leg so you'll have to forgive me but it is the middle bit that bends where it seems to be the most pain running into the outside of my left calf.

It seems to have happened when I was climbing up a mountain about a month ago. I don't know how I did it but it may have been from a fall or from landing too hard on it. Its been okay for two weeks both my legs had lost the aching from when I climbed the mountain but now it is back just in the left knee all of a sudden.

Do you have any idea what it could be? Impact damage or tear to the muscle ligament or something?

I never like to bother GP's and usually where possible try avoid pharmaceuticals unless its natural treatment.

If you might know what it could be or have any advice you can offer I'd appreciate it. How do you tell for sure what is up with your leg? If I go to my local GP he would just give an opinion but it wouldn't be scanned or anything. I am thinking if I was a footballer I would have all sorts of scans and they'll be able to say for sure what it was. I wouldn't know how to go about that though or how much it would cost to have a leg scanned so I know what I'm dealing with for sure.

I'm desperate to get back out there as well and going up more hills, fishing and other activities etc but its a no go at the moment.

Thanks,

John

Offline knee always hurts

• Forum Faithful
Re: Pain when bending knee while walking
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 08:26:42 PM »
Hey john10001,

Welcome to the forums!

Now when you write that it's the "middle bit that bends" perhaps you are referring to the kneecap, or patella? That's the small bone that is located at the front of your knee. If the pain is around or under the kneecap, then it would likely be what is called Patellafemoral Pain Syndrome. If that's the case, I don't know why it would radiate to your calf, but it could be referred pain. Whether it is this or something else, persistent knee pain is serious. And if it is patellafemoral pain, it probably won't resolve on its own (Or if it does, it will usually come back). I'd recommend getting to the doctor as soon as possible. If your doctor does diagnose it as PFPS (or chondromalacia, which is related), you're going to want to specifically request physical therapy. Some GPs are not sufficiently knowledgeable about the condition, and won't recommend the necessary therapy. So make sure you request it yourself. It's difficult for me to say based on your post whether it is PFPS or something else, though. If you're interested, you can read some posts detailing the travails that I and other members of this forum have gone through with this. You'll then see why you're going to want to resolve this as quickly as possible, as it can become far worse than you can imagine.

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=52020.0
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=52770.0

Offline john10001

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Pain when bending knee while walking
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 05:26:35 PM »
Thanks for all the info!

I thought it had gone away because it seemed better but then it came back again. I think it comes and goes but when its there it can be quite painful to walk downstairs, walk in general and also using clutch in the car is a pain too.

I am going to try and see the doc next week. They're not taking appointments at the moment unfortunately due to one of them being away on holiday so you have to call on the morning of the day you want to go see them.

I'm not sure I like the idea of physical therapy. I'm hoping that there is some drugs or a minor op you can have instead if its something like you said that needs fixing. There's no chance of me ever getting to rest it much because I have to work each day Monday to Friday and driving to work each day too. Also I am also living in the top floor of a big old house so up & down two flights of stairs quite a lot.

Cheers,

John