Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Grit in my patella tendon- operation in two days. Questions...  (Read 2197 times)

Offline yoeddynz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Grit in my patella tendon- operation in two days. Questions...
« on: September 06, 2010, 09:37:34 PM »
Hello all,

I'm not sure what this injury would be classified under so I have posted here. please move it to relevant section if needed. ;)

About late february 2010 here in New Zealand I had the smallest fall off my mountain bike and smacked my right knee against a rock. I initially thought the injury to be a minor cut and kept riding for the rest of the ride as my knee slowly stiffened. I went to A&E where i had three stitches. The following week it was stiff and sore but this I put down to the general truma/stitches. I was running again within 2/3 weeks and it was sore but again I dismissed this as nothing and continued. A fair old lump had developed and as the cut healed beautifully but the lump stayed alarm bells rang -finally! ::)

I saw my local orthopaedic surgeon who arranged an MRI scan.

Here are some of the images. I have put 4 slices in a row.

sag pd +6

sag pd +7

sag pd +8

and different resolution..
sag pd + fs 10

So it appears to be a bit of grit or some foreign body in the tendon. This explains the area of localised pain - especially if I kneel on it. The tendon also looks like it was sliced slightly.

After waiting ages for the NZ ACC to accept the claim I have have been finally booked in for surgery.

The surgeon will be cleaning up the scar tissue, excess blood capillaries and looking at possibly staking the tendon to the bone? The last bit will be assessed once he is in there...I hope it doesnt come to that as I'd rather not have screws whatever in my knee.

I have just in the last few weeks slowly taken to my bike again. I have got quite bad muscle wastage on my right leg and my left knee occasionally gets a tiny bit sore as if it is developing tendonosis (not surprised!)

I have had Tendonosis in my right knee just below the patella which developed through a lot of training rides on a stupid fixed geared road bike while living in the UK. I had a lot of physio and it was just about gone with my knee feeling fine for good long hard rides.  Then this accident happened! :(

My questions are- has anyone else had similar injury's to this on this forum and if so did the tendon reform nicely? My tendon appears quite inflamed around the injury and I hoping that once the foreign body is removed it will finally settle.

My knee feels better after a bike ride- if I take it gently/warm up to start with and don't push too hard on the
hills immediately after the ride it will feel great.  My poor old left knee does a lot of the work and gets tired. It is showing signs of tendonosis and this I want to avoid. Fortunately after the operation I wont be on the bike but it also means lifting myself up every where with my left leg again. (I have been busy building a huge house truck through out this ordeal which has involved a lot of kneeling and ladder work- but ladder work is now over :))
 So my question about above is that I would like to strengthen the right leg asap to bring back some balance to my legs so how soon after tendon surgery can I put weight on it? I have been doing eccentric leg excercises up till now- but should I include some leg extensions once it feels painless enough to do so?

Will the bone bruising that is evident on the tibial tuberosity in the scans go away?

Any advice will be much appreciated- I understand after having a browse through this forum that my injury is not as serious as others on here but what I want avoid is this injury getting worse over time!

cheers

alex
Cycling is great for your knees............

Offline yoeddynz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Grit in my patella tendon- operation in two days. Questions...
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 01:32:19 AM »
well.....

off to my operation.

Offline Lou123

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 07:42:01 AM »
Good Luck! x

Offline yoeddynz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 11:43:52 AM »
Cheers. :)

I'm now back at home now- surgeon removed section of abnormal tendon- a wedge resection.He found no foreign body but very jelly like tendon which was shown in MRI scans.
Knee is generally sore from stitches in tendon etc but I can bend it gently and place weight on leg/walk so i am happy about that. I will have to enjoy the next two days being looked after and doted on by girlfriend. Hopefully can start gentle spinning on excercycle/turbo trainer in 2 weeks.

alex