Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: New Member, I am having ACI in mid October, Help!  (Read 27692 times)

Offline elliottl73

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: New Member, I am having ACI in mid October, Help!
« Reply #135 on: October 14, 2011, 01:39:45 PM »
cdubb,
Thanks for the help.  My husband is going to be home for 2 weeks he can work from home if nothing is broken and no flights scheduled.  My mother will be in town by then and my daughter is 18.  So I am sure I won't need any help.  SHe is of course in college but said she would make herself available when needed. With my MFX I was waited on like a princess so I am sure it will be the same this time.  I just wish it would get here I hate waiting.
  I have a feeling m right knee is coming soon too.  When I fell I fell om the both the right is just not as severe yet.
I will contact you with any questions I appreciate the offer.

Thanks Again,
Laurie
9/2010 fell broke nose and injured L knee
10/2010 MRI  negetive
1/21/2011 diagnostic arhtroscopy woke up with MFX
8/11/2011 new MRI showed failed MFX
9/1/2011 Biopsy for carticel
11/1/2011 ACI
5/31/12 scope and microfracture again 1/2 ACI failed
9/2/12 Scheduled OATS,Osteotomy

Laurie

cdubb

« Reply #136 on: October 19, 2011, 02:47:33 AM »
Yeah, the waiting sucks... I was really hoping for mid November, but all the right insurance approvals just got in place last week and then my Dr. was scheduling 9 weeks out....I'm sure if it was a simple scope procedure, I would have been able to be scheduled in sooner, but this is a couple hour deal, so I can't just be squeezed in.  He normally schedules out 6 weeks, so unsure why he's so far out now.  I would think with the NBA season in doubt, he'd have more time on his hands than normal!  I'm sure I could get on some sort of a cancellation list since my graft isn't ACI this time, but then there is no notice and that really wouldn't work too well with work and calling short term disability to get that in line.  So, December 13th it is...all the ice and snow in Chicago area in Dec and January with crutches is certainly going to make getting out and about treacherous for me this year.... In NC, you shouldn't have quite the same issues!

Offline elliottl73

• Regular Poster
« Reply #137 on: October 22, 2011, 02:57:18 PM »
Courtney,
I can't imagine that weather on crutches.  We had soe pretty severe weather (for here) last year but nothing like that.  My husband is from IL I have heard about some of his winters as a kid.
I have caught myself a cold. My pre op is next friday I should feel better by then.  I will be very upset it things are postponed.  My DR isn't scheduled that far out thank God.  We waited 8 weeks this time for cell growth an my husbands schedule.  His job has required 12-18 hours days the last 3 weeks.  That is done now.
I am getting a little anxious about 10 days  out now.  I will have a lot to do next week to get the house ready as much as I can. Grocery shopping cleaning etc. I haven't been great about the cleaning lately I guess I will need to suck it up and get it done even if it hurts.  I feel bad when my husband has to do it and work too.
I have started a list for the hospital too as I was told at least 2 nights.
Thanks again for the encouragement
Laurie :)
10/2010 MRI  negetive
11/1/2011 ACI

Laurie

cdubb

« Reply #138 on: October 23, 2011, 04:08:50 PM »
Laurie,
A cold shouldn't keep you from surgery...especially when I don't think that they actually can postpone once cell growth has begun.  I know I was stressed about that.   Kind of happy I don't have that stress with this next procedure since it's not reliant upon the cell growth.  Regardless, you should be well by that time.  So interesting that your doc keeps you for 2 nights?  I always wonder why the different post op protocols.  I guess just doctor preference and comfort levels.  I do my doc seems to be more aggressive about sending people home.  At a work function, I was talking with another local ortho and mentioned that I had a TT osteotomy outpatient and he actually thought that was kind of crazy... I was fine, so I'm not complaining. 

Definitely get done what you can now with cleaning, groceries.  Also get any pre-op grooming tasks done like hair, manicure/pedicure. My husband picks up the slack a lot for me also with kids and household tasks.  He does it without complaint though!

Good luck to you!

Offline elliottl73

• Regular Poster
« Reply #139 on: October 23, 2011, 04:31:25 PM »
Courtney,
I had my hair done last week. Lots of ponytails coming for me. I think I will get a pedi next week.
Husband won't complain I just feel bad.
I will be thankful for the pain meds in the hospital.  I will find out about osteotomy on Friday. I just want to do whatever it takes to get back to normal.
My daughter will fuss alot about cooking cleaning etc but she can fuss and do it anyway lol. Teenagers.

Have a good rest of the weekend,
Laurie :)
10/2010 MRI  negetive
11/1/2011 ACI

Laurie

cdubb

« Reply #140 on: October 29, 2011, 12:15:23 AM »
What did you find out about the osteotomy?  Recovery should be easier w/o it, but you also want everything done to give you the best change of success.   You're just 4 days away now....kind of wish mine was sooner, but Dec. 13th will be here before I  know it! You'll probably just be starting to get off the crutches when I'm going on them!

You most definitely should have better pain meds in the hospital vs. my outpatient setting, but I was set up okay with pain meds and the Gameready icing system. Started the CPM on day 1 post op.  I just had to take my meds orally and I'm sure you'll be hooked up nicely with a morphine pump.   It's so hard to remember back to those early days.... I should go read my post op diary to remind myself.

Offline elliottl73

• Regular Poster
« Reply #141 on: October 29, 2011, 06:41:11 AM »
No osteotomey!! my joints are all lined up good.  Got fitted for post op brace today we are set and ready to go.  No morphine for me It doesn't work for some reason.  I have had dilaudid(bad spelling sorry). It worked quite well after an entire day following surgery with no pain relief. :'( Dr also ordered hospital bed and my cpm showed up yesterday.
Well I need to try to sleep sometime tonight.
10/2010 MRI  negetive
11/1/2011 ACI

Laurie

cdubb

« Reply #142 on: October 29, 2011, 03:04:57 PM »
Good news about the osteotomy! Good luck next week. First few days will be a little rough, but everyday it gets easier.  Thanksgiving may be rough for you, but by Christmas, you should be much more mobile and feeling better.  I on the otherhand will probably have a pretty rough Christmas being 12 days post op.  At least I'll have the whole holiday season off work, right?  Gotta look at the positives, right?

Offline elliottl73

• Regular Poster
« Reply #143 on: October 29, 2011, 03:22:51 PM »
I was down for the entire holiday saeson last year with the same knee. I fell in OCT I guess I landed hard on my knees and then my face. I broke my nose and needed 8 stitches I didn't even realize my knees were hurt until my face stopped hurting so bad( I was chasing the stupid cat in socks on ceramic tile).  MRI was clear so dod PT until Jan.  AS far as Thanksgiving My mom will be here and my husband actually likes to cook so we are covered there. I guess Christmas shopping will be online again this year. Oh well. 
I don't work so I can just relax and heal . My husband will be watching me like a hawk everytime I move to make sure I don't hurt myself.  It is funny we can both goto the DR and somehow we hear different things.  He is much more cautious than I am I guess because I can feel it.
I hope all goes well for you too.  Enjoy your time off as much as you can ;D
I will keep you updated on my progress
Laurie
10/2010 MRI  negetive
11/1/2011 ACI

Laurie

cdubb

« Reply #144 on: October 29, 2011, 03:53:44 PM »
My husband likes to cook also and he had Thanksgiving covered last year....and it looks like he'll have Christmas covered this year!   Sounds like you'll be in good hands post op!  You're lucky to have older kids also.  My son is 5.  He did well though last year when he was 4, so he should deal with it all fine.  My 14 year old stepdaughter also lives with us full time...not really sure how much help she'll be though???

Good for you not having to work and can just heal!  Jealous..... sure takes some pressure off the healing process.  I'll probably take 4 weeks off then then work from home for 2 weeks before returning to the office. Need to figure out the right knee and driving issues.  Left knee it was 4 weeks before I could drive due to just simply not fitting in the car based on the ROM permitted.  Now I'll have weight bearing restrictions on my right knee due to the osteotomy, but I think when I hit 50% WB and am unlocked to about 60 degrees at 4 weeks, I'll be okay to drive.   My docs PA indicated that is when most people do manage to drive and they do permit the driving of "necessary distances".

People can definately hear different things from the same Dr.'s visit....saw that this past winter/spring when my father was diagnosed (and ultimately succumbed in June) with cancer.  Speaking with my mom and dad after visits with the Dr. you'd think that they weren't even in the same room when the Dr. spoke.....

Offline elliottl73

• Regular Poster
« Reply #145 on: October 29, 2011, 04:41:11 PM »
I am not sure how much help my daughter will be but at least she doesn't cared for.  Although 4 dogs are a handful when 2 of them are xl breeds bullmastiff, rottweiler, English Bulldog and a Min Pin.  Oh well I guess I get a little vacation from the revolving door lol
My parents were the same way too. Sorry about your dad I lost mine 5 years ago 2 days after my birthday and my husband was in Afghanistan. emphasema took him.
My mom and daughter will do all the Christmas baking Jeff might let me downstair to watch. He plns on locking me upstairs til post op appt on 14th.  I probably won't want to move anyway.
Are you getting the snow that hit the northeast? I had to turn my heat on for the first time today but just raining.
Have a good weekend :)
10/2010 MRI  negetive
11/1/2011 ACI

Laurie

cdubb

« Reply #146 on: October 29, 2011, 07:02:57 PM »
No snow here in Chicago! It's actually a gorgeous fall day...sunny and about 55! Neighborhood block party today, so glad weather cooperating!

Offline elliottl73

• Regular Poster
« Reply #147 on: October 30, 2011, 02:51:43 PM »
Thats great I hope you had fun
10/2010 MRI  negetive
11/1/2011 ACI

Laurie