Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Blood for Surgery  (Read 1062 times)

Offline Rhino

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Blood for Surgery
« on: October 08, 2003, 09:27:29 AM »
I know this is a ghoulish topic but i had to give blood for my back surgeries along with my wife because i am kind of freakish getting transfusions now a days. Can anyone tell me if you need blood during a TKR.
Thee who seizes the moment wins the day.

Offline anasta5ia

• Forum Faithful
Re: Blood for Surgery
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2003, 10:38:31 AM »
Rhino-

I know when my mom had her TKR, she had to donate for herself twice before the surgery.  They did use both of the units that she had donated.

-Heather G.
Rt. knee-plica resection, LR, 4 TTTs, MPFL repair & 2 MPFL reconstructions
Lt. knee-2 TTTs, & 2 MPFL reconstructions...
Scheduled for bilateral hardware removal, lt. knee TT revision, MPFL recon and LR recon with new wonderful surgeon.
Plus 9 other orthopedic surgeries

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2003, 02:23:01 PM »
Rhino

It depends, in the UK we are hapy to use donor blood for patients undergoing TKR, we don't tend to donate our own blood but it is becoming to be introduced.

When I worked in orthpaedic some patients needed a transfusion in thetre and after some didn't, likewise some had a soinal block and some had a GA.

I think it will depend on what your surgeon sees fit, my OS always gives 2 units of blood after knee replacements but my last one didn't believe in it unless it was absolutely essential.

Best to ask your surgeon when signing your consent form.

Offline Rhino

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2003, 05:32:56 PM »
Thanks for the feedback gang,i appreciate it higly. I guess i will ask the OS about the blood and maybe i will just go ahead and donate a few pints just to be on the safe side and if not needed you can always just donate it to someone in need. Thanks again.
Thee who seizes the moment wins the day.

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2003, 06:04:32 PM »
Thats a great idea, if you don't need have it, someone who is crisitcally ill might benefit from it

support