Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Help!Patella Dislocation, pain through whole leg 8 weeks into recovery period?!  (Read 12284 times)

Offline helencatherine

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Hiya guys :)

Ok i'm truly at my wits end now with pain and discomfort.  I dislocated my patella approximately 8 weeks ago which resulted in me being in a knee brace for 6 weeks.  When i dislocated my kneecap I went to the hospital who issued me a set of crutches then sent me to the fracture clinic the following day?! who then told me that it was a patellar dislocation...put me in a leg brace that was to be on for 6 weeks and pretty much told me to toodlepip....3 weeks after my dislocation I received an appointment to start my physio.  I had no bend at all in my knee, my quads had already started to deteriorate and I had the craziest sensations inside my knee such as shuddering, twitching and insanely dull ache that just persisted constantly not to mention the fact that my haed was spinning with the prescribed diclofenac and codiene for pain relief!  Anyways, I started my physio which was pretty basic to begin with...simple leg raises, holding for 10 then lowering my leg etc...sounds pretty simple huh...when you have a leg that can't do it it's just not fun :(

No MRI scans have been done on my knee to date.  Which i'm a tad bemused at.  I have been complaining to my physio now for approx 3 weeks that the pain i'm in at times is unreal, the pain is NOT just around my knee, it's my hamstrings, quads, shin and it  hurts like hell!! It's such an intense heavy aching cramp not even my meds are helping with it.  My phyio keeps telling me it's just due to the exercises that i'm doing and the fact that my knee hasn't done much work for weeks now it's being forced to work, but i'm not sure you know...i have a gut instinct there's a problem.  This gut instinct is enhanced even more by the fact that when i'm walking with my crutches my knee is bevelling into the side of my other leg?  When i put the injured leg forward to take a step, on taking the step my knee seems to click 4 times before settling to the inside of the other leg?  Not sure if that makes sense but you can actually see it doing it, i can feel it and see it doing it, after walking on my crutches for 5 mins my leg hurts like hell.  Im not at all happy with my physio's response who has told me its because my quads aren't strong enough...she could be right...but i'd feel a whole lot better if they'd send me for an MRI to have it fully checked however they've told me at the moment i don't need to go for one?!   I'm literally at my wits end with this pain and i seem to be getting nowhere fast.  Is all this pain natural?  I still have swelling below the kneecap and above it to the left side, the inside of my knee is sore to touch, the back of my knee hurts a lot at times and directly over the knee is painful to touch.  I'm not really sure what i'm expecting to gain from posting this on here lol but i just feel that i have to voice my feelings regarding this so any useful info and help will be much appreciated :) xx

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 215
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Hi

All this trouble after eight weeks is unacceptable - it`s about time you put your foot down ( excuse the pun - see an Orthopaedic Consultant and ensure that you have a MRI scan.

JohnK/ Manchester UK   

Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline LenaKnee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Hi - I dislocated my patella for the first time 3 weeks ago. Fell in my own house and then had to be taken to the ER. ER did xrays, the doc said if the pain is mostly gone in 2 weeks you know you will be fine. He gave me an immobilizer and crutches and a referral to an orthopedic surgeon. The surgeon did more xrays, MRI and switched me from the immobilizer to a smaller brace. He thinks I will be ok without surgery. My leg is mostly very weak but no pain. What you are experiencing sounds different from a dislocation. I would look for a good orthopedic surgeon and MRI. Good luck!

Offline helencatherine

• Regular Poster
Hey :) xx

Thanks for the replies to my thread.  I have physio tomorrow so i'll be pushing again to be refered back to the orthopedics for further investigation....althought i've tried that several times and each time they just tell me that my pain is 'normal' as my leg is trying to heal?  With regards to it not sounding like a patella dislocation, the consultant at the fracture clinic confirmed that it was as my kneecap was way to the outside of my leg almost behind, however on dislocation there was a really loud audible pop sound almost like a plank of wood being snapped, the noise was so loud that i initially thought i had snapped my shin bone before looking down and seeing my knee to the outside of my leg.  The loud popping makes me think that i've done some form of ligament or tendon damage however i don't know for sure.  My physio has told me irrespective of what damage has been done inside the treatment would be the same? immobilized in a leg brace for 6 weeks then physio?  I'm just not very happy with the way things are going, yes i have almost a 90 degree bend back in my leg, however it hurts like hell...constant dull intense aching almost like a heavy muscle cramp, pains behind, over, below and to the side of my knee...pains going down my shin and calf which is leading me to believe there's more damage inside that what was initially thought.  The did say that the force of the knee coming out and how far it came out meant that tendons and ligaments where pulled over to the side plus quads would've been torn a bit but i think i'd rather have an MRI to find out exactly what the damage is as my work is now trying to force me back to work after 12 weeks of being off yet i'm still in the same amount of pain if not worse than i was when it initially injured!   Knee pain is not fun!!

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your dislocation and what you are going through. Sounds like a really bad one.

I am in Australia and it is not often they put you in an immobiliser. Usually they would prefer you to be on crutches and get the muscles to start working.

My suggestion would be to push for some CT scans too, not just a MRI as that will show if there are problems with your knee cap.

Whereabouts are you based ? Sounds like you are in the UK from what you have described.
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline helencatherine

• Regular Poster
 Hey Silk :)

Yea i'm in the UK, love our national health services but at times like this it makes me want to pull my hair out of my head lol

I think i've finally gotten somewhere today though hopefully!!  I went to physio this morning and pretty much broke down and told her that the pain i was in is ridiculous, I'm gaining motion back i my knee and i'm now at a 100 degree bend but the pain is ridiculous, it's constant, i don't get any reprieve from it, sometimes it's mild..other times it's just plain stupid to the point where it literally floors me and i end up sleeping for hours.  My physio has finally agreed that the pain is not normal at this stage!! YAY finally!  She's going to speak with my doctor later this afternoon and hopefully i'll get the referal back to the orthopedic surgeons that i've been screaming for since week 3 of my injury :)

On the down side, my work are now pushing to have me return irrespective of the pain i'm in.  I've pretty much been told they'll be considering dismissing me on the grounds of ill health?!  Fair much? I don't think so!  However, jobs come and go....legs don't.  My priority is getting my leg back to what it used to be like or thereabouts :)

I'll update later if i hear anything from the docs! :)

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
Hi there,

Just wondered how you got on with your knee ?

What part of the UK are you based in ? I do know of some good knee surgeons in the UK and a good sports medicine clinic.
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

support