Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: MRI Authrogram  (Read 2749 times)

Offline Chris M.

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • I "love" PT... Really I do
MRI Authrogram
« on: October 08, 2003, 05:31:00 AM »
Can anyone tell me what to expect with this? I have one scheduled for tomorrow...
ACL Reconstructive using hammy 11/18/03.
Currently 12 weeks post OP, PT going well except a touch of tendonitis

Offline Crystal

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: MRI Authrogram
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2003, 05:38:25 AM »
Arthrogram's are used to get better imaging of tissue and cartilege structures in your knee.  They are fairly uncomfortable, but very good in diagnosing hard to determine problems.  After lying down on a table, the tech will inject some contrast material and air into your joint space.  Normally they will numb the area with lidocaine first, and this is the most painful part.  It feels like a bee sting.  The large needle was the most intimidating part for me.  After that, all you will feel is a lot of pressure from the contrast being injected into the joint.  Some xrays are normally taken to ensure the correct placement of the liquid.  After this, you will generally have a regular MRI.  Following the procedure, you should take it easy and be sure to ice a lot.
Good luck tomorrow.

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2003, 02:53:04 PM »
Hi Chris

I am having the srthrogram done on Oct 20th.

I was told this is a dye injected into the knee after a local anaesthetic and then the radiologist would maybe manipulate my knee with X-ray which would come up on a screen- like a moving a x-ray, after I would have  some normal x-rays and MRI scan. Although it might be done differently with you and depending on the problem they are trying to detect.

It is useful for looking for things that might not be visable on MRI's or normal x-rays, like Plica for instance.

It is not a guarentee they will find anything it is another thing they can use in detection.

In my leaflet is says the proceedure is not painful but it will be uncomfortable and advised me to bring crutches and not drive hom after, it also mentioned the knee might be hot and feel heavy for a few days.

There is also a minute risk of infection associated although I think this is less than 1 in 1000 arthrograms done.

Good luck & let me know how it was!

Offline Chris M.

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2003, 04:05:11 PM »
Thanks for the info. I was told about the not driving thing... my mom and dad will pick me up... I was just worried becasue I go on vacation (with my crutches sigh) on Saturday. I'll let you know how it goes :)

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2003, 06:05:36 PM »
Godd Luck Chris if we don;t see you before and enjoy your vaccation.

Iona

Offline Chris M.

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2003, 05:25:26 PM »
That was evil  >:( If I have to have another it will be far too soon... how long before all this fluid goes away? I'm in some serious pain now....

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2003, 05:54:03 PM »
Yikes! it sounds awful Chris, in my leaflet is says about 2-3 days for the dye to disappera, I didn't realise how uncomfortable it would actually have been.

Not looking forward to this at all, not that I ever was mind you!

Offline Crystal

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2003, 09:06:09 PM »
It took my fluid a few days to dissapate.  If you ice it and keep it elevated it will go away faster.  I agree, it is not the most pleasant thing in the world! :-/

Offline Chris M.

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2003, 10:03:52 PM »
In whole it wasn't horrible, but the needle into the joint to get the numbing agent in there was not pleasent... everytime I move my knee I hear liquid swishing around.... my OS BETTER be able to see something after all this!

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2003, 11:58:57 PM »
Are you any better today Chrislet?

support