Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: To scooter or not to scooter?  (Read 13248 times)

Offline smillie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Re: To scooter or not to scooter?
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2010, 07:24:31 PM »
The medical community around here is definitely not cutting-edge. There are plenty of guys doing TKR, but that is NOT what I'm looking for at this stage of my life. It keeps coming back to travel, but travel=$$$$ and that's a problem right now.  So I keep hoping to find a local option.
patella pain began early teens
'94 TTT/LR/VMO adv.
'94 MUA
'10 tried PT again
1/11 scope/hardware removal
4/11 (Finally!) dx medial instability due to LR
5/9/11 LPFL reconstruction scheduled

Offline SqshPlr8

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2010, 09:55:45 PM »
In the end, I did not get a scooter.  However, I have modified a number of portions of my daily life: crutch to go up/down five-floor walk-up, keeping my legs extended at work, conscientious movements etc. 

Yea, chores have kind of gone down by the wayside (standing is the most difficult thing at the moment).  I heave my laundry up or down each flight of stairs while I am crutching.  Frustrating.  For dishes, I sit down with my legs propped up on a stool.  I could not imagine vacuuming or dusting, though...

As knee always hurts suggested earlier in this thread, if one were to use a scooter or some mobile device you would still need to incorporate some movement/loading into your daily routine.  Ideally, you would do this in intervals so as not to provoke another round of inflammation and pain. 

knee always hurts, I feel ya man.  It gets to a point where you have to ask yourself, "Is this working?" As for my plica, I am asking myself similar questions.  Although I have had some success with reducing my symptoms and gaining more mobility recently, I think I might try out a cortisone shot sooner than later.  The band of tissue is huge and catches pretty regularly, causing discomfort; it is not slimming down.  If the inflamed plica is my primary problem at the moment, then perhaps the shot could be "curative" in a sense.  Of course there are risks, but there are also risks with snapping this thing over my femoral condyle every time I flex my knee.  The ECBFT is a no-go as the plica is constantly getting impinged.    On a positive note, I seem to have quieted down my other, more diffuse symptoms in the meantime.  So we shall see.

Offline smillie

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2010, 11:49:41 PM »
Mine is finally calming down a bit. I got more sleep last night than I have in several weeks. It took a LOT of modification to get there. Tomorrow I'm going to start trying those intervals to see what I can handle. It might just be 10 unassisted steps, but I'll start there. I still need some way to do my daily tasks, though, without causing a flare. I think it's going to be a good long while before I can stand in the kitchen and cook dinner and do the dishes without causing harm.
'94 TTT/LR/VMO adv.
'94 MUA
'10 tried PT again

Offline knee always hurts

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2010, 10:10:07 PM »
I think that I'm not going to have any choice but to increase my activity level, as lying down most of the day is starting to cause a significant amount of back and hip pain. I can't risk the deterioration of other joints. For the first time yesterday, it was actually quite painful to walk as a result of my hip hurting. I could actually feel the soreness in the place where the ball of the femur articulates with the hip. It was a strange sensation since I'd never felt anything there before, I suppose because that joint just worked. So I've got to move more.

The next step for me is trying to find a decent arthroscopic doctor. I don't trust the local doctors at all, based on my experience with them. There are some really fantastic doctors in Boston, and I'll hopefully be able to eventually secure an appointment with one. I've got to get this whole process moving forward, so that if I do need surgery, I won't have to wait for several more months.

My right knee has actually been feeling a bit better the last few days. Though there is still that omnipresent soreness, it may have decreased a bit, and there hasn't been any sharp pains for probably 5 days or so. My left knee is really starting to flare up, though. I think it is possibly the worst that it's been since this new problem developed. I can hardly walk even a short distance without sharp pains in the irritated spot. It seems that one of the main triggers for my left knee is bending the knee past 90 degrees, even though it isn't under load. It's not easy to avoid doing that 100% of the time. If I could just clear up the problem in the right knee, I might have a chance with the left following rbcyclist's approach, since I think that there are probably some chondral defects there. I'm not going to get my hopes up yet, though, since every time I've thought that my right knee was improving, it suddenly becomes much worse again.

You may end up needing that cortisone shot, SP. I think with some tissues, like the synovium or subchondral bone, that the tissues don't necessarily change that much in form and so are merely irritated but don't actually become impinged. The tissue homeostasis model really makes the most sense in cases like that. But in the case of the plica, it can become a pathologic structure that is so damaged that it won't return to it's previous form. In that case, you've either got to remove it, or otherwise cause it to return to its formerly lithe self.

Smillie, that is good to hear. It's always frightening when you can't walk at all without irritation or pain, and you think the situation is hopeless. But if there is improvement for the better, there is hope!

Offline smillie

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2010, 01:00:41 AM »
I'm here to rain on the parade. The interval (walking to the bathroom unassisted) was a bust. So I focused today on good form with about 50% weight as tolerated. Did OK. Then I tried to fix dinner without much weight bearing. Super simple meal and I did it, but I had a meltdown at the end when one of my kids gave me some flack. I didn't realize how much I was hurting because I was focused on getting it done. It was horrible.

In other news, I found a local knee guy to try, so I will be giving him his audition  ;) on November 5.
'94 TTT/LR/VMO adv.
'94 MUA
'10 tried PT again

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2010, 01:13:55 AM »
I'm of the belief that somebody needs to invent an anti-gravity machine. If I could just modulate the gravity to be, maybe, 1/4 the normal force, I could probably walk a good deal more than I am now, lubricating the joints, and within a few weeks get back up to the normal level. We can wish!

Offline SqshPlr8

• Regular Poster
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2010, 09:22:24 PM »
This blog is written by a woman who had a synovectomy by Dr. Dye.  Apparently her synovium had tethered itself to the underside of her patella.   I have yet to read the entire blog, but she had a previous plica resection/fat pad removal which did not go well. 

http://aliraesf.blogspot.com/2009/02/synovectomy-follow-up-appointment.html

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2010, 09:59:25 PM »
That's funny, I was just reading that blog last week. Actually, it feels like something is tethered underneath my patella. From what I read, it seemed like the synovectomy lead to an improvement, but she was still wasn't pain free. Read the one year later post. It sounds like she is actually pain free some of the time. But whenever she does anything above and beyond the usual, the pain is back. Paul Ingraham also made an appearance in the comments of one of the posts, and basically said that dealing with this kind of knee pain is always a struggle with no certain outcome. I guess he googles himself. Maybe if we post his name enough times, he'll make a guest appearance here.

Paul Ingraham
Paul Ingraham
Paul Ingraham
Paul Ingraham
Paul Ingraham

Offline smillie

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2010, 10:23:41 PM »
LOL It's like the old slumber party game...  Bloody Mary ... Bloody Mary ... Bloody Mary  to see if she appears.  ;D
'94 TTT/LR/VMO adv.
'94 MUA
'10 tried PT again

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2010, 10:40:07 PM »
Well, I never went to any "slumber parties", but I can actually recall speaking the name of the old queen before a mirror at midnight on at least one occasion. I almost thought I saw her. I'm glad I didn't, though. Paul Ingraham appearing, on the other hand, is something that I would regard as quite auspicious and would heartily welcome.

Paul Ingraham, Paul Ingraham, Paul Ingraham <Mirror at Midnight>

So where are you, Paul?

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2010, 09:08:18 PM »
I filled out and submitted papers for insurance yesterday, so when that is all sorted out I can make an appointment to see a new OS. I've been looking and have a particular doctor in mind, but only time will tell if I can get an appointment with him. He does accept the insurance that I'm applying for, and he is supposedly accepting new patients. So I'm hopeful.  8)

Offline smillie

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2010, 09:41:41 PM »
Good luck! I hope it works out so you can see him. I've made an appointment with a new OS with some really good knee credentials. I'm going in armed with good information and we'll see if we can agree philosophically on things...i.e. my quads are weak because my knee hurts rather than my knee hurts because my quads are weak....
'94 TTT/LR/VMO adv.
'94 MUA
'10 tried PT again

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2010, 05:30:56 PM »
Well now, this is not the best day of my life, not by a fathom.

Whatever in the heck is going on in my left knee just took an incredibly horrible turn for the worse. It feels like a knife is wedged between my patella and femur. Even the slightest movement is eliciting wince-provoking sharp pains. There must have been some fractured cartilage that broke off, and it's now bone on bone, is the only explanation I have. I'm using a cane 100% of the time today just to take the weight off of my leg. Maybe I'll try crutches.

I don't think there is any way out of this one. Damn, I hope it doesn't take long to get my insurance approved. Because of some strange twist of fate, I live in the Boston Metropolitan Area, which happens to have:

New England Baptist Hospital: One of the best joint replacement hospitals in the US, and they actually performed the first hip replacement surgery in the world decades ago.

Cartilage Repair Center: It has performed the most cartilage transplantations in the US, and the first ACI procedure in the US.

I've got my pick, I suppose. There are probably others as well if I look. I don't really feel any better about this, though. Those are really invasive procedures. But what choice do I have now? At least it is the year 2010! How the heck did people live like this years ago? I don't even want to try to wrap my mind around that one.

Let me just give a little piece of advice for anyone who happens to read this. If you have a knee condition with lots of inflammation, and your doctor diagnoses you with PFPS, then your doctor is clueless. Not only that, but a hole is being burnt right now in your knee cartilage, and your life is going to be ruined by it. Better get to the emergency room now, and get it taken care of before that happens.

Don't think that you're "too young" for that to happen. That's a delusion.

:'(

Offline SqshPlr8

• Regular Poster
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2010, 05:11:34 AM »
I see the doctor tomorrow.  Still not exactly sure what I am going to do next, but I do know one thing: if I don't slim this plica down my conservative efforts will go nowhere. 

(Of course, if it is tethered to the kneecap or medial condyle, I might have to go the surgery route.  But that's a long, long way down the line.  That said, I am really getting sick and tired of crutching, propping, analyzing, theorizing, empiricizing, Vaudville-reenacting, schlepping, and prophesizing about this mess.  Although I work in basic science and believe in the power of logical deduction, I would love me some good ol' fashion, televangelical magic healing right now.  Praise the Lord!)

So what are the options? 
Oral NSAID's? Can't take them as they caused a string of ridiculous GI episodes -- didn't really help anyway.
Voltaren gel? Will ask about it again, though doc said he didn't see decent results with other plica cases.
Cortisone shot? Strongly contemplating it.  But I feel that if I were to do it, I should at least take time off work to let this stuff work. "Masking the pain" is a worry, but I figure if I conscientiously maintain my current "envelope of function" with enough pain-free motion (light swimming) I should avoid that risk. 
Ice? On going, of course. 

I might seek another opinion before getting the shot. Depends on how tomorrow goes.  Let's see.

Hope you guys are feeling better.

Offline smillie

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2010, 02:59:36 PM »
I saw the new OS today. Not sure what to think. His PA took the history so I talked to her more. When he came in he did the exam, asked some questions and talked fast. I hate that. He reviewed my mri and xrays. He said he saw "arthritic change" in the pf area but didn't see anything surgical needed. He gave me voltaren gel and darvocet to try for a month and come back to see him. At least he didn't say "strengthen your quads." Those were my walking out words. LOL
'94 TTT/LR/VMO adv.
'94 MUA
'10 tried PT again