Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Possibly Torn Meniscus Three Weeks before Wedding - HELP!  (Read 1389 times)

Offline ihtar1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Possibly Torn Meniscus Three Weeks before Wedding - HELP!
« on: May 20, 2011, 05:23:01 PM »
Hi!

I think I tore my meniscus over the weekend kickboxing and my wedding is in less than three weeks - not just any wedding, but a crazy indian/american wedding with lots of dancing and aisle-walking in four-inch heels, so I need some advice.

Has anyone had a torn meniscus before - my symptoms are swelling of the knee, popping, its locked so I can extend fully, and when I do it hurts up my thigh. Nor do I have full flexion and that's even harder than extending and hurts by the knee more. I had an ACL reconstruction and a torn meniscus in '09 and have always had some problems with this right knee. But I went kickboxing (so unnecessary by the way) and believe I have done it again.

Now my dilemma is this - how long can you go with a torn meniscus without getting it repaired? I have my wedding, honeymoon, and then two field trip to Africa and the Middle East and won't be back until July 19th - could I wait that long feasibly?

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Online vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 454
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Possibly Torn Meniscus Three Weeks before Wedding - HELP!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 06:27:18 PM »
I tore my left lateral meniscus in September 09 and had it scoped in Feb 2010.  It did show up as a small tear on MRI, hence the OS decided to try the conservative PT route.  In that time, I limped (walking was the biggest issue), couldn't fully extend or flex and towards the end, the knee would buckle (hence going for the surgery).  I also knocked a piece of articular cartilage off the femur and had extensive bone bruising.  However, I barely took a day off work, drove a manual car (getting in an out was a challenge as I had a mini), had a 2 week holiday in Florida (from the UK) etc.  Never had crutches, or a brace etc although I did make the tear worse (the knee would grind every time I bent it and this wore the meniscus away) to the extent that it could only be trimmed and not repaired (also old age played a role in that the meniscus was degenerate as I was 37 at the time  ;D )

You'll probably be fine - I would say the field trip might be a stretch if it is going to be active, see if you can get away with lower shoes for the wedding and make sure you are waited on hand and foot on the honeymoon  8)  I would think you'll be more immobile if you have the surgery - I was pretty restricted for around 4 weeks after my first scope.

Good luck :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline ihtar1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 07:39:06 PM »
Thanks for the reply! At the very least, it makes me fees soooo much better in general! Really really appreciate it! I love this message board!  :)

Online vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 454
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 08:00:17 PM »
One thing I forgot - call your airline's customer services asap and see if you can secure a bulkhead seat, explain the situation, they won't give you an exit row but you may be able to get more legroom :)

If you are flying first class, it doesn't matter so ignore me  ;D

Oh and ice ice ice  ;)  For the knee and your cocktails   ;D
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone