Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: knee wont bend on 2year old daughter  (Read 1576 times)

Offline bobafett

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
knee wont bend on 2year old daughter
« on: August 25, 2010, 11:13:45 PM »
hi , long story short , i have a 3 year old daughter whose knee wont bend pass 60 degrees ,
she has trouble going up stairs and running , she was born premature at 32 weeks, both her knees
bent properly ,around 2years old we (the parents) realized her left knee wont bend properly,
she feels no pain whatsoever ,been to orthopedic (xrays neg)rhumatologist ,neurologist (mri neg, head shot neg)
what has happened? what caused this?

thanx in advance, worried parent

Offline njjones1

• Regular Poster
Re: knee wont bend on 2year old daughter
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 01:41:19 PM »
Sorry I have no experience of this, but that must be awful.  I am glad it doesn't cause her any pain.

When you say it won't bed, is that under force or under her own control?
35 years old and now suffering with my other knee :-(
ACL Rupture of my left knee on 15 Dec 2004.
ACL reconstruction (hamstring) on the 31 May 2005.
Horizontal tear in the posterior horn of my medial meniscus in my right knee 18th Jul 2010.
Surgery booked for 7th Oct 2010.

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 04:41:48 PM »
So sorry to hear about your daughter, I have a daughter who just turned 3 on the 16th. I think it would be wise to get another opinion and this time from a orthopedic Dr. who specializes in children. You might also see what a physical therapist could do for her. I was disabled as a child and it always breaks my heart to hear of such things with kids now. Best of Luck!
Right leg amputee.
Osteoarthritis in left knee.
Medial femoral condyle defect, arthoscopy 8-2-10
Grade 3 defects, patella, medial femoral condyle, tibia scoped1-12-2011
Physical theraphy and awaiting microfrature 2-1-12

Offline bobafett

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 01:58:24 AM »
both under her own volition(sp?) and when anyone tries it just wont go past 60 degrees,it just hits a road block,
and actually we've been to 3 orthopedics ,with one opting for surgery but just not yet, she does do physio with
minimal success and wears a brace at nite with minimal results, im just stumped as to how something like this happened?
was it her mmr shot?is it because shes a premee(sp?)?anything else guys??

Offline njjones1

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 08:57:48 AM »
Given they both bent properly previously I would suggest it is unlikely to be due to her being premature (but I am not an expert on this), might be worth asking on a forum more focused on parents of premature kids maybe?

Again I would be shocked if it was the MMR shot - everything seems to be blamed on that doesn't it.  So many people have had them.

I would have thought it was more likely from a physical action that happened, maybe while she was trying crawl  or walk and fell.  I have a 4yr old and a 11month old, and I know that they do bang themselves, fall etc so often especially in the early days, I would guess it was just an unlucky fall that caused some damage but really surprised that neither an xray or MRI shows what it is.
35 years old and now suffering with my other knee :-(
ACL Rupture of my left knee on 15 Dec 2004.
ACL reconstruction (hamstring) on the 31 May 2005.
Horizontal tear in the posterior horn of my medial meniscus in my right knee 18th Jul 2010.
Surgery booked for 7th Oct 2010.

Offline elizabethb

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 02:23:56 PM »
I don't know where you are located but you might want to see if you can get her referred to a Shriner's hospital.  They do amazing work.  Best wishes to you.

Offline bobafett

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 03:21:19 AM »
thats what i thought too at the beginning ,but x-ray and mri came out negative
and people have told me a second x-ray and /or mri will bid the same result,
as i already have been to the shriners in montreal,shes too young to  get operated
(forget the procedures name),seems like all the dr's ive seen have never seen this happened,
can this be a special case of something, like one in a million or one in a billion?