Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: new here. physically cannot walk =[  (Read 1026 times)

Offline bro132

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
new here. physically cannot walk =[
« on: August 25, 2010, 04:03:58 PM »
hey all. i'm 22 and in pretty good shape.
over the weekend I was helping a friend do some flooring, which ended up with me being crouched down on 2 knees for the whole weekend, and also I did some mild-deadlifts during that time, all good I noticed nothing but obvious aches and pains from working constantly on my days off (grrr)
cut to the day after (2 days ago) I realize I'm getting a warm, dull almost tight pain from my right knee, on the outside but more to the back of it though, but i'm able to limp around somewhat, but it's still physically hard to bend my knee right back or straighten my leg out fully to walk. the next day i had a 12 hour shift in a kitchen at work, more of the same, able to limp around but put minimal pressure on it and i couldn't walk 'properly', getting up and down stairs become a nightmare.
now today, I actually can't walk whatsoever, literally crawling up and down stairs. I cannot extend my leg straight, i get to around 45 degree angle and i just physically cannot extend it any further, i also cannot bend my knee right back without pulling it up, get to about the same angle again. when I walk I feel as if my leg is gonna give way, my body physically will not let me walk on it without one of them pains that just makes you stop lol. i'm starting to get a pain down my calf muscle also, mainly about halfway down the back of my leg.
it's NOT particularly sore to touch anywhere, and believe me i've poked and prodded wherever I can, maybe tender down the back of my calf now. if I bend over somewhat I can put pressure on both legs, and can almost walk properly if i bend my back over..
any ideas? i know i'll be told go to hospital just incase, etc etc but I have a thing about the place and if this is nothing more than a mild strain then I just won't bother and i'll just rest and ice it up.
When i sit down or lay, it's fine. theres no pain whatsoever. it's only when I try and move somewhat I feel anything.
if anyone has any questions (things i can and can't do, etc etc) i'll answer asap.
thank you guys.

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: new here. physically cannot walk =[
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 04:15:34 PM »
Sounds like you may have either sprained or tore something in there. Likely your ACL or MCL being they are in the back of your knee and can cause pain in your calf. A simple sprain can be treated using the RICE method. Rest, ice, compression, and elevate. I hate hospitals too but somethings have to be treated to get better. You can try the Rice method and if you don't find some relief you need to be seen by a DR. Ibprofen for the swelling and pain.
Right leg amputee.
Osteoarthritis in left knee.
Medial femoral condyle defect, arthoscopy 8-2-10
Grade 3 defects, patella, medial femoral condyle, tibia scoped1-12-2011
Physical theraphy and awaiting microfrature 2-1-12

Offline bro132

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 04:22:41 PM »
ah thank you.
yeah I think that is all I can do. you don't think theres a chance of it being anything 'sinister' then? Everyone is telling me to go to the hospital cuz I'm basically crawling up and down stairs but i'm not going through the whole hospital process to be told it's a strain or something ridiclous. Only reason i'll go is because i'm working all day friday (730-730) all day saturday, all day sunday and all day monday =/ on my feet the whole time.
thanks again!

Offline fattusp

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 04:29:20 PM »
I would spend 30 and see a physio matey.

Sounds like you just need some therapy to get the leg moving again where youve done so much kneeling. Plus they may have seen similar situations before. I doubt its something serious as it doesnt sound like you did any sharp movements or falls or anything.

Tom

Offline bro132

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 04:35:27 PM »
yeah there was no impact or a moment where i felt anything just 'snap' or 'rip' if you like. my only worry is I read about strains and people coping with them, like dull niggling pains. I'm already crawling up stairs and literally cannot walk from a bedroom to a bathroom so thats the only reason I was worried somewhat, on a pain scale it's worse than anything I experienced when I broke my fibula and tib right through =]
but thank you i'll definetly be looking into physio if it gets no better.

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 04:53:24 PM »
If you have had a past tibia and fibula fracture and they were high up fractures then it would be wise to be checked out sooner rather than later. The fibula and tibia are all part of your knee it could be a another injury to that area. If it were me and I was in that much pain I would definately go and see someone. I am a amputee so I guess I know how important our legs are to us. Not treating something correctly can lead to permanant damage and pain. The rice method works for some minor sprains and pulled muscles but it won't fix something that is torn or broken. You need X ray and a mri.
Right leg amputee.
Osteoarthritis in left knee.
Medial femoral condyle defect, arthoscopy 8-2-10
Grade 3 defects, patella, medial femoral condyle, tibia scoped1-12-2011
Physical theraphy and awaiting microfrature 2-1-12

Offline bro132

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 05:00:07 PM »
yeah it was the same leg also, about halfway between the ankle and knee though. the pain on the calf now funnily enough is around the same area but started around the outside of my right knee. but thats around 10 years ago now though and i've had no problems with it since. but i can understand the caution and i think tomorrow i'll go to the hospital because it sounds like the best thing for me to do now. so thank you kimberly =] assuming this is just a sprain....should I have felt better by now after 3 days or worse? i've strained muscles before and it seemed a couple days rest and it was forgot about. I guess there is a number of factors involved though...being on my feet 12 hours straight and not resting or elevating it probably did not help if it was a strain. I did get our ''first aider'' to strap ice to it my leg cuz ''i wasn't allowed home as there was nobody to cover me'' =/.
thanks again.