Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Is this what "catching" is and if so how long before I should see a doc?  (Read 1403 times)

Offline Totoro

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Every day I keep thinking it's something major that's going to require surgery.  The daily worrying is getting me crazy.  This will be a little long so I apologize in advance.  On Saturday August 14th, I jogged 2 miles during the afternoon.  I felt fine during the run, but when I got home I felt a slight strain on the back of my right leg behind the knee.  It was barely noticeable and I quickly forget about it.  Several hours later my knee started to feel sore and painful and I couldn't walk without limping a little.   I went to a doctor and he just told me to stay off it and take motrin.  I stayed home and didn't go to work for 9 days straight.  I walked as little as necessary.  The pain and soreness in my knee and behind it didn't improve at all until day 6.  That was the first day I was able to comfortable walk slowly without any limp.  By day 9, I could walk faster comfortably so there was more improvement.  Yesterday was my first day back to work.  I have a physical labor type of job that involves walking fast while carrying things and pushing/pulling heavy things for most of my shift.  I worked at half speed all shift and was really careful how I moved my legs.  My knee was sore at times, but I got through it ok.  I woke up today and my knee isn't any worse than it was yesterday.  Pain-wise my knee seems to be improving and I wouldn't think I have a problem except for what I read online about meniscus tears.  The first week of resting from my injury, any time I walked down stairs I'd feel something "catch" or rub against the bone(?) in my knee.  I'm not sure if this is what's happening, but that's what it feels like or what I'm guessing.  Like something was getting caught against it when it was sliding past it.  My knee cap would pop upwards a little when this would happen.  Every since the pain/soreness got much better the "catching" has happened less often and when it does happen it's not as severe as it was during that first week. Sometimes I walk down stairs and it doesn't "catch" even once.  However, it still happens sometimes.   I also notice it sometimes if I'm sitting down and stand up.  I'll feel it slightly catch.  Sometimes I don't feel it catch but my knee will make a noise like a knuckle cracking.  I guess what I'm getting at is how long should I wait to see if this goes away on it's own before I see a Orthopedic doctor about it?  I have a physical scheduled in 2 months with my regular doctor.  I didn't see him for my knee injury.  Should I just wait until then to bring it up if the catching doesn't go away?  It's only been 10 days, but I'm a very nervous/anxious person so I keep thinking about it. 
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 05:18:07 AM by Totoro »

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 404
  • Neelie knee!
If you're so worried about it, go and see the ortho :)  Especially if it's affecting your ability to work.  And try not to worry about it, probably something straightforward.  Do you have swelling?  If so, ice the knee.  Avoid jogging until you know what's going on - very hard on knees!  The fact it seems to be getting better with conservative action is a good sign
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Totoro

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
i'm never going to jog ever again if this is what I get for doing it.  i guess I'll just wait a while and see if it stops when the pain/soreness completely goes away.  there never was any swelling oddly enough.  i'll try my best to not think about it and hope to see more improvement.  luckily, i had today off from work so i got to rest it another day before working again.  it's just i read about meniscus tears on the internet when I stayed home from work and now i'm worried that's what i have. that's what i do best: assume the worst will happen to me.  i read how if you have catching and don't get it taken care of it'll really mess up the knee and eventually lead to knee replacement.  i just have no idea how long that takes.  weeks, months, years?  i've always been active and my jobs have been labor type jobs so I can't have a bad knee or no knee.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 08:55:36 AM by Totoro »

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/node/1817  have a read of this.  Although, if you are the type to worry, I wouldn't read too much ;)  The Internet is great for info when you know what is wrong, but not so good if no diagnosis as you can start imagining all sorts of horrible stuff!  Certainly, don't start thinking you'll need a knee replacement - that results from major damage to the articular cartil;age (stuff covering the bones) and not the meniscus type cartilage :)  Have a read of the more general knee stuff in the information hub if you must

With my torn meniscus, my symptoms were quite typical - lots of swelling, locking (couldn't straighten), buckling, griding but actually not so much pain (that came from the other injuries I think).  I think it is is quite hard to tear the meniscus without a twist or fall (I came off a bicycle and must have twisted as I fell).

How old are you btw?

If you are so worried, see an OS, but rest and ice is the best stuff for sore knees usually :)
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline Totoro

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
i'm 33 years old.  thanks for the tips.

Offline weirdknees

• Regular Poster
The catching that you're feeling could be your kneecap tracking badly, look up patellofemoral syndrome.  This is common with people who run/jog a lot, certain ligaments get tight and pull the kneecap out slightly as you bend and straighten it.  A typical symptom is pain when you go downstairs.  I have this and I used to have a torn meniscus before I had it operated on.  With a torn meniscus, the pain is usually along the joint line and sometimes causes sudden sharp pains.  It does sounds like your problem is coming from your kneecap and not your meniscus.  I'd go and see a sports physiotherapist, try and get referred to one by your gp.  Kneecap problems are often sorted out with physiotherapy, unless it is a chronic ongoing problem and the cartilage underneath your kneecap is wearing down.  The physiotherapist would be able to do some tests to rule out cartilage damage, and give you advice and exercises to help your problem.  Or you could see an orthopedic doctor who will diagnose you and probably send you for physiotherapy. 
knee pain since very young
2008 - diagnosed with patella tilt
2010 - partial meniscectomy

Offline weirdknees

• Regular Poster
Also, there is no need to worry about knee replacement surgery.  That usually comes from years of arthritis.  If you sort your problem out early, you don't have to worry about this.  Any kind of knee surgery is usually seen as a last resort, and doctors often try to treat problems with conservative treatments before hand.
knee pain since very young
2008 - diagnosed with patella tilt
2010 - partial meniscectomy

Offline Totoro

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
in your opinion, how long should I give it to improve on it's own before seeing a doctor about it?

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
Given how concerned you are, I would see a physio as soon as you can and get their professional opinion on what is going on :)

Where in the world do you live?
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline Totoro

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
i live in watervliet, ny, usa.  i worked this evening and i made it through my shift ok.  the knee did feel sore and tender, but only once did i feel any kind of sharp pain in the 8 hours i was at work.  it wasn't even that bad of a sharp pain.  i worked at half speed again, but slightly faster than my first day back.  so that's a little progress.  pain/soreness-wise it continues to slightly improve every few days.  it's just that dam feeling of something clicking or catching against something in my knee that makes me worried.  i'm sure most people wouldn't even think it was a problem and ignore it.  i know i worry too much about stuff and assume the worst a lot of times.  one time i found a lump on my shoulder that felt like what is described as a tumor online and i spent a week thinking I had cancer before a doctor looked at it and said it was nothing :)  do you think it'll be alright to wait a week or a month?  the feeling of something clicking against something in my knee happens even when I bend my knee 1 inch and straighten it.   it's slight, but it's still happens every time just about.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 08:41:26 AM by Totoro »

support