Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: fresh osteochondral allograft waiting period  (Read 1682 times)

Offline brian518

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
fresh osteochondral allograft waiting period
« on: August 24, 2010, 12:38:38 AM »
this is my first post to this sight. though reading others has been very helpfull. thanks to you all.
 i am 38 yrs. old and need a knee replacement. under dr.s advice as well as research on my own being actually too young for replacement we have agreed on an osteochondral allograft (fresh). as this should help to alleviate my pain till such age for a replacement.
 my question is recovery time especially NWB and pain levels . as well as how long have people waited for graft it has been 4 months for me so far and no word yet! any info would be gratefully appreciated. thank you. if its of any use i reside in the northeast.

Offline lostandhopeles

• Regular Poster
Re: fresh osteochondral allograft waiting period
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 01:59:00 AM »
i injured my knee in 2007 I was 45 at the time. After the first scope I had a series of 5 injections. That helped but not much. The second scope was done for the purpose to take a sample to match. Following the scope the surgeon that is was best to transplant my cartiledge from a non weight bearing part of the knee.
  I had the O.A.T.S. procedure done on May 15th 2009

As far as the surgery. It was much tougher that I thought it would be. The recovery was long. The only good thing was the Ladies at P.T. I started pt 5 days after surgery. Due to work comp hours I was in the hospital 3 days until a cpm machine was deliverd to the house. prior to surgery I was told 6 weeks non weight bearing. It ended up being 12. My leg is better that it was prior to surgery but still not great. I drive semi and do a lot of climbing in and out of the truck and trailer. At times the leg seems pretty swolen by the end of the day, but it does not look larger than normal. My biggest concern at this time is possible damage / harm that may have been done to my good knee and hip from the NWB time with all my weigt bouncing on my right leg.  Good luck please keep us informed and ask any ? We are glad to answer any that we can.

Offline tenisfan

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 03:03:09 AM »
I only had to wait 3 weeks for mine. My surgery was on the weight bearing side so i only had to use the crutches for two weeks, in a brace for six. Pain was not to bad, took the pain meds when needed . Expect a good 8 to 12 months recovery I had mine done in December, so far so good, my only problem was atrophy of the guad muscle, which is still causing me some problems,  so while you are waiting strengthen those up big time. I will answer any other questions you may have, just let me know :)  Kim
2006 right knee surgery, meniscus
2008 left knee lateral release,  meniscus
2009 microfracture left knee, lateral meniscus,  fragment
2009 cartilage transplant oats
2010 loose fragment removal, meniscus fraying,found another defect
2010 oats failed, synvesic injections ,2011 right knee meniscus

Offline brian518

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 12:58:36 AM »
To Lost and Hopeless and Kim,
   Thank you so much for your responses!
 I am in construction business. i too am climbing in and out of trucks,eqiupment, ditches etc.
my left knee problem is also work related. i had scope in 08 and injections in 09 felt no relief at all. cant believe i am actually looking forward to surgery. this pain sucks.
guess my question to L and H is how long before you were physically able to return to normal duty?
 Kim- very informative. i have been doing upper body stuff to prepare for NWB. hope its not 12 weeks. never thought of quad excercises thank you. 8 to 12 months fully recovered yikes! is there truly relief after surgery?
any more feedback would be awesome!
  Hope this finds you both well!!
    thank you.brian

Offline lostandhopeles

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 02:47:00 AM »
I returned to work after 11 months. I have been given permanent restrictions. No kneeling, and occasional squating. I dont remember being told about climbing but saw a paper from the OS that showed climbing limits. I am still working on how to manage without doing to much. In has been the toughest two years of my life. I love doing what I do. prior to surgery I was unable to drive for a living as I have for the previous 20 years. At times it will seem impossable but stick with it. It should be an improvement over where you currently are. Ask any questions you have I will try to answer and be helpful. Where are you located?

Offline tenisfan

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 05:29:25 AM »
Yes there is truly relief after surgery. I am pretty much walking normal now. I have had friends that had this surgery and they are doing great,  It all depends on how your body heals, and i also think on your age Your young so you will do great, but you will need to be patient, you have to take this surgery nice and slow. The only real problem i had was after i got out of my brace, my knee buckled and i broke loose a piece of cartilage, that is why i am telling you about your guads get them really strong. You will need lots and lots of ice after surgery so make sure you have a great supply. :) please keep me updated!!!!    Kim
2006 right knee surgery, meniscus
2008 left knee lateral release,  meniscus
2009 microfracture left knee, lateral meniscus,  fragment
2009 cartilage transplant oats
2010 loose fragment removal, meniscus fraying,found another defect
2010 oats failed, synvesic injections ,2011 right knee meniscus

Offline lostandhopeles

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 02:55:55 AM »
  As I reread you 1st post I had a thought /question. At one point The OS brought up partial knee replacement. I was told that this was a temporary fix . He also said it would last 7 to 10 years. Then we would have full knee replacement. This would put me at mid 60s needing a second replacement. The main reason for doing OATs was to save the knee long term. I was told prior to surgery that IF the oats procedure is successful I should not need further surgery.  The oats procedure was intended to be a long term correction not a quick fix, or way to buy time.

support