Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: complex displaced radial tear, plus chronic partial tear upper MCL  (Read 2801 times)

Offline b1lly

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
3 years ago I had keyhole for a small cartilage tear,knee originally fine but now causing problems again

here is my latest MRI scan report.....

In the medial compartment,early degenerative changes with slight thinning and irregularity of articular cartilage but no subarticular changes. Complex displaced radial tear of the posterior third and peripheral extrusion and localised interior flap of the middle third of the medial miniscus and probable medial meniscocapsular separation.

In the lateral compartment,minor degenerative changes and blunting of the free edge of the mid and posterior thirds of the lateral meniscus with possible undisplaced localised cleavage tear of the middle third remnant.

As previously thickening of upper collateral ligaments and chronic partial tear of the upper MCL

The appearence of the ACL suggest mucoid degeneration rather than partial tear

Mild trochlear dysplasia but otherwise the patellofemoral compartment and extensor compartment intact

Small joint effusion.No obvious intra articular body

my question is can someone please explain some or all of the above in laymans terms,are they serious conditions and would surgery be the way forward ???

many thanks in anticipation
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 10:37:41 PM by b1lly »

Offline b1lly

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: complex displaced radial tear, plus chronic partial tear upper MCL
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 10:45:34 PM »
hoping for some help,pleeeeeeeeeeease !!

Offline b1lly

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 04:58:01 PM »
update,

physio has said to carry on with my cycling to strengthen the knee,but advises against any squat work etc as this will aggrevate it,in daily pain and swelling with knee and although its no worse,it is not getting better ?

Is the above knee normally operated on ? seems harsh to live with this problem for the rest of my life as I am only 41 years old.

Offline b1lly

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 11:56:54 PM »
Would love someone to shed a bit of light on my problem, have I got an injury or is it just general wear and tear,anyone had similar, what exactly is a chronic tearof mcl?as oppose to a non chronic year ?what about themeniscis damage?any views or help at all mucho appreciated!

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 06:30:21 AM »
You have degeneration issues in your meniscus. This can be a result of general wear and tear (think tyre treads slowly wearing down) or it can be the result of earlier trauma. You say you have already had arthroscopic surgery, was that for meniscus damage? Also sports accidents that we think nothing off earlier in our lives can be contributory factors in starting the process of degeneration.

The difference between chronic and acute in medical terms is:

chronic = long term

acute = short term.

So the chronic degeneration is being seen as the result of long term and not so important problems and not in need immediate surgical intervention. Any ACUTEs on the report and they start talking operations.

It sounds like you have a good surgeon who is reluctant to go in there and sort out something that may just need time and phyio. Be grateful as there are a hell of a lot of salami slicers out there who go in at the drop of a hat, slice off a layer or two each time until you have no meniscus worth talking about. Then they start talking about knee replacements!

Be happy and work hard with that physio. Cycling, swimming (flutterkick only, not full on frog kick breast stroke work), power or Nordic Walking (google it if you are not sure what it is, excellent for deficient knees). Leave out the squats for as long as you can - even with healthy knees they are dodgy to say the least. Work on lunges and single leg balance to build up the strength and also increase your proprioceptive abilities. Running is out as are any other high impact activities. Your meniscii are suffering so you want to look after them for as long as possible if you want to avoid the risk of needing a TKR in your near future.

;)

« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 07:36:00 AM by Kaputt_Knee »
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline b1lly

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 10:49:51 PM »
Great help many thanks, I have being doing full on breast stroke is this to be avoided ?

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 07:46:12 AM »
Yes, you should avoid full on breast stroke leg kicks. Just think through the motion your knees go through with each kick. There is rotational movement at the hip and knee - the latter is what you should avoid if you are to avoid further damage.

You can modify the kick so there is not so much rotational movement. But to be honest, a flutter-type kick is better all round as your joint is not being stressed by the twisting involved in breaststroke.

Have you thought about doing some workouts in the water? Aqua-aerobics gives an excellent cardio workout but does not compromise the knee joints. I've even done step aerobics in the pool and had a great workout. Another possibility is an aqua-jogging group. Here you use the resistance of the water to give you the workout but again with absolutely no stress on the joints. Adding floating "weight" of different sizes turns it also into a strengthening workout too.

Using the joint but limiting the impact and twisting motions through it may slow down the meniscus degeneration. You just have to be determined to find the means to do this work to be honest.

Sue  ;)

1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline b1lly

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 08:32:41 PM »
cycling but still not getting better gonna see surgeon again !!

support