Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Osteochondritis Dissecans HELP!!!  (Read 1195 times)

Offline liensteve0135

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Osteochondritis Dissecans HELP!!!
« on: August 23, 2010, 05:10:59 PM »
Hello all! I just found out about 3 weeks ago that I have Osteochondritis Dissecans in my (L) knee and I am kind of a special case. Osteochondritis Dissecans often happens on the Femur on the medial side, but in my case it is happening on the Lateral side in the back. The Doctor told me that I would be perfect for the surgery, but the only problem is that he cant get to it without damaging it more. HAS ANYONE HEARD OF THIS CRAP? He is going to be giving me a series of 3 shots of hyaluronic acid and some type of nasial spray to promote bone growth. Has anyone had these shots before???????????????????????? Does it WORK???????????????????

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mmrocker13

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
Re: Osteochondritis Dissecans HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 09:43:58 PM »
I'm not sure what "he cant get to it without damaging it more" means... but... my OCd lesions are lateral femoral.

Have you tried asking for another opinion? When it comes to stuff like this, more than one set of eyes/treatment options can be a good thing.
89: Pat. dislocation, lat. meniscus tear, femoral OCD lesion
89: debridement, chondroplasty, lateral partial menisectomy
02: partial lat. menisc., debride
02: mfx
09: subtotal menisc., debride, c'plasty
10: scope/debride
10: varus DFO
13: HWR
15: total menisc., debride, c'plasty, notchplasty

Offline liensteve0135

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 10:04:50 PM »
As of right now, that was DOC #2... I am going to talk to the Director of Special Sergery Hospital to see what he thinks. When I said that he could not get to it, he told me that where I have the OCD is in the very back of the Femur on the lateral side and he could not risk going through the back of the knee since there is so many nerves there. Have you ever heard about the acid shots??

Thanks for the reply though! The sad thing is that I have no clue how I got this. I was in the Marines and the Army for 8 and a half years combined but never had a problem other than a torn mincus in the same knee.

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 10:22:05 PM »
You can develop an OCD lesion in your teens that may not give symptoms but then if it becomes detached it can become symptomatic. I have one on my medial femur - I know when I did mine, 90 shuttle sprints on uneven ground and bang. It may have been there all my life but now it is bare! Thankfully mine is not too troublesome unless I pivot (which I can largely avoid on that leg!). Is there no way he can get to it via scope at all? Is it a weight bearing lesion? Does it cause a lot of symptoms?

Re the acid injections - they work as a lubricant for the knee. They won't do anything to change the pathology of the OCD lesion but they *might* help the knee move more fluidly and perhaps let any inflammation settle as the knee will be more cushioned. I guess there is little to lose, some people report they do nothing, some people get relief, others find they can be a bit sore but that usually passes off.

Hope things get sorted for you,

Lottie
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline liensteve0135

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 02:29:01 PM »
The only problem with my OCD is that if the acid injections just provide lubrication then im screwed. I am a detail manager for a large dearlership in NY and all I do all day is kneel and squat down. I am always moving in different ways that hurts like a mother. Has anyone heard that the acid injections permote bone growth???