Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Bracing question  (Read 822 times)

Offline bd1

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Bracing question
« on: August 23, 2010, 09:01:56 AM »
Hi i'm new to this site, so please be patient with me!
A quick knee history, 10 years ago acl mcl rupture recon', then 4 years ago complete dislocation, ouch. snapped acl lcl pcl mcl meniscus damage full recon' with plc aswell, i'm just getting my quads back but I still have instability in my lcl. Which is an artificial lig', I use a donjoy brace which I hate with a passion, does anybody have any experience wit townsend braces as this has been rec' to me, I want to get back playing none competetive badmington.
Thanks
1999 acl mcl recon'
05 knee dilocation acl mcl lcl pcl recon's 80% lateral meniscus removal
06 plc recon' lcl tighened up
Chronic lcl problems(ongoing)
reinjured dec10 mcl grade 2
hamstring tear

Offline Audice

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Re: Bracing question
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 10:50:25 AM »
Hi bd1 ~ Since I'm only familiar with the Townsend brace, perhaps I'm not the best person to answer your question but I have the Premier which is a custom brace & I'm very pleased not only with the support it offers but the comfort. I wear it only on occasions when I feel as though my knee might be in jeopardy but it's been effective for the last 5 years. Wishing you well.
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 11:39:08 AM »
I've got an off-the-shelf Townsend Rebel and I love it. It's light, comfortable and slimline enough to fit under all but the tightest of jeans. Having also had Don Joy braces in the past I can only sympathise and say I felt exactly the same about mine - I hated both of them (a  Legend post-op and another monster some years previously that would have looked out of place on a hulking great NFL defence player!)

I use my Rebel for skiing and paragliding and have no problems with slipping or rubbing/blistering. Stays in place all day regardless of how active I am.

I believe they are also considerably cheaper than Don Joys; my Rebel was only 500 Euro compared with 1700 Euro for the Don Joy monstrosity!

I contacted Mike Huston (sp?) the Sales Director at Townsend Design and he was extremely helpful putting me in touch with the local rep and sending me fitting charts and extra info for my surgeon.

Ditch the Don-Joy and join the happy Townsend wearers!  :D

Sue ;)

1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline bd1

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 04:01:32 PM »
Thanks audice and sue for your replies,
I've emailed townsend to put me in touch with someone in uk who do their braces, the sooner the better, it's my 2nd donjoy the 1st being a full lenght post op brace, I was in that monster for nearly 2yrs on and off I hated that too, sue you have similar injuries to mine do you get a good sense of stability when using it? I also had 80% of my lateral meniscus removed so i'm after a brace to help with that, i'm  using the brace to protect my lateral instability, all my other reconned ligaments seem to be fine, it's the artifical lcl that gives me problems and it's only 4 years old, when my knee dislocated it shredded my lcl to bits and unrepairable, i've started back hiking recently and donjoy's giving me so much crap I don't enjoy it and that's using a undersleeve.
Thanks for listening
1999 acl mcl recon'
05 knee dilocation acl mcl lcl pcl recon's 80% lateral meniscus removal
06 plc recon' lcl tighened up
Chronic lcl problems(ongoing)
reinjured dec10 mcl grade 2
hamstring tear

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 04:48:23 PM »
I have no problems with my stability whatsoever when I'm wearing the brace. I only wear it for those 2 activities now though and have worked hard on general leg strength and fitness for all other occasions.

If I'm mountain walking I do wear it though, as my mountains are a wee bit bigger and steeper than those in the UK  ::)  Sustained descents from 1800 metres is a wee bit wearing to say the least and that is only the mountains in my village! As I have peaks over 2500m in my neck of the woods, I have to be careful, fit and slow!

I also use trekking poles, especially for the descents. I have the sprung Leki Malakulu or something similar. I started using trekking poles eons ago before it became trendy in the UK and took a lot of stick about them from my Mountain Rescue and Mountain Leader friends. Now I see them all over the place, even on flat doddles! All the gear and no idea or what  ::) Over here in the Alps they have always been considered essential kit!

When you make your enquiries state that the LCL is involved. I have a Rebel CI - CI means combined instabilities.

Good luck and hopefully you can join the club of Happy Townsend wearers soon ;D

Sue  ;)
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

support