Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Can anyone point me in the right direction? Pain in knee when squatting..  (Read 6286 times)

Offline Jen-Jen

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hi everyone
What a great website, Im so glad ive come across this!

Ive got a knee injury and no idea what i need to do about it or who I need to see. Im also getting worried that its serious, as it has not improved (only gotten worse) over 4 months

Back in May, i was very fit and active (annoying how being so fit and health aware may have caused me long term damage!)† and working with a trainer.. I was doing a lot of sessions with squats and kettlebells.

I remember one session, doing them and my right knee felt odd... just very *tight* and weird.. and it got worse in the session where i was doing lunges and squats VERY intensely with kettlebells

The feeling proceeded to get worse, and after the session, it turned into a pain... but ONLY when i went back down into squat position, or going up stairs. I was able to walk fine, and run fine.. and cycle... so, i hoped the injury wold get better by itself , and decided to ignore any excercise which caused the pain (squatting etc) and carry on keeping fit by running and spinning

HOwever, four months on... its gotten worse, and now, I feel the pain all the time :( My right knee constantly aches.. it is still VERY bad when squatting but its like a ocnstasnt dull ache all the time... and is worse in cold weathere ( I went camping the other weekend and really felt it in the cold!)

I did see an osteopath, who told me I had flat feet..and that because I dont wear the correct shoes (i live in flip flops or uggs) it was causing my knee to bend the wrong way and had prevented it from reparing itself

She did various bends on my leg and strectches and nothign hurt me so she told me nothing "sinister" was going on inside and if i got correct shoes then it would get better

This was three weeks ago and, to be honest.. I dont walk around much anyway..but i have been wearing porop shoes since.

It costs £40 a session to see an osteopath here, and i wasnt convinced of her diagnosis.. my knee feels exactly the same

Does anyone have any idea what couyld be going on with it, and who i need to see? ive got an appointment with my doctor next week but, in the past theyve never been much help to me... i dont know.. :( Im only 29 but this pain is making me feel like im 100!!!!

« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 10:33:35 PM by Jen-Jen »

Offline Audice

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Hi Jen-Jen ~ After putting up with pain & inability to do what you'd like to do because of your knee, perhaps it's time to think about getting yourself to see an orthopedic person who would be in a better position to help you. That person might recommend an MRI or x-rays might show him/her what's going on. Four months is a long time to deal with a knee that's not doing what you want it to do.

I don't know whether you can make an appointment directly with an OS or if you have to go through your internist. But I'd suggest you go before you find you're doing more harm. Wishing you well....Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline k66yla

• Regular Poster
Hi

I don't know very much about knees but I also have a dull constant ache in my knee aswell and trouble with steps. I find heat rather than cold affects mine more though.† I can't even squat down anymore. Does your knee click at all?

My GP sent me to physio on/off for a year and nothing got better (I'm sure they thought I was'nt doing my homework). After numerous physio sessions and a couple of injections in the knee I was finally referred to an OS. I had a couple of xrays (which showed nothing) then he examined my knee and said he was almost certain I've torn my lateral meniscus. Had an MRI nearly 2 weeks ago and have to go back for results next month.

So I'm guessing you may have torn one of yours aswell. None of the physios even suggested I had a cartilage problem† ::)
April 83 - Right Knee Trauma
             2 Broken Wrists
1999    - Lateral Release Left Knee
Nov 10 - Anterior HornTear & Parameniscal Cyst Athroscopy Left Knee

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Hi There,

I also feel pain and tightness when squatting and kneeling down in my right knee but had surgery on it 9 months ago and been told its scar tissue thats causing all the pain. Can you fully squat as each time I try to fully squat feel pain and tightness behind the knee.

I also have flat feet but the raised insoles have not really helped ease the knee pain. I think its about time you visit your GP and get a referral to see an OS to examine your knee properly as the pain could be caused by a number of things. If you can afford to go private or have private health cover then would use them rather then the NHS as you will find you will be seen alot quicker and will get a better service.

Nick :) {2010} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Jen-Jen

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply to me..

I guess from here I will need to see my GP. Nope, I cant afford to go privatley, so I will just have to wait and see what he says I guess.

Nick, I see you cant run either.. :( Ouch.. i can run, it doesnt seem to make it worse... its just that specific p osition walking up stairs, or down..or when youre getting into squat position or standing up out of it.. ....

It did give me hope when the osteo seemed so sure that nothing serious was wrong but to be honest, im starting to doubt her now!

Anyway thanks for your replies.. I guess ill have to wait and see what happens with the GP..

x

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Push for some further investigations. It may be a patella issue or as said, you may have a meniscus tear. My knee issues started with a similar sensation - a pain on certain activities such as a lunge, or rising from a squat. A PT staretd doing some work with me to strengthen my quads and manipulating my patella which is tilted laterally. Bam - things got much worse. An MRI indicated big lesions to the cartilage under the kneecap, with a nice one on the medial side right where I felt the pain many months before. Nothing used to hurt me either being stretched by the PT as the pain happened when the defect was under load.

You need this checking out if the pain is constant. In the meantime, don't even try to run as if you have tracking issues running will not help. Your body weight is far more when you run being pounded through the knee, and I am convinced excessive running last summer up and down hills tipped my niggle into a chronic problem. I'm not saying that is the same for you but you need investigations. Flat feet can affect the kneecap but you need someone to look at things in a bit more detail than that. Running could be achievable again but I'd lay off it until you know whats going on. If you do have some wear and tear then you need someone to look at why it is happening too - is your patella tilted, does it track correctly etc etc. Many of these problems can be helped with proper PT but you need some answers first.

Tell your GP it is affecting daily activity. Tell him it isn't getting better. DON'T be fobbed off with some pills. Knees are too important! I wish I'd loved mine a bit more.... :-\

Lottie
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
Just want to clarify!

When you say squatting do you mean the exercise where you lower yorself slowly down to90 derrees or do you mean going right down so that your keens are pinting upworods and your bottom (arse, bum, butt or whatever) is close to the floor? †Also, you would be standing on the balls of your feet.
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o