Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Torn PCL  (Read 940 times)

Offline Keifermj

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Torn PCL
« on: August 19, 2010, 08:56:40 PM »
Long story, but I recently had an MRI done which showed that I completely tore by PCL and partially tore my LCL.  The doctor said if both were completely torn that it would be an immediate surgery.  However, he wanted me to try PT for 6 weeks at 3 sessions per week.  I am walking better as of late, but I have a hard time bending my leg back.  Up until the injury I was running about 30 miles per week.  My questions is, with my injury is PT really going to help anything or am I just delaying the fact that I will need surgery?  The doctor thinks in the end I will need surgery based on the combination of injuries.  I'm really looking forward to hearing from anyone that has experienced this.  Thanks in advance.

Offline soozles

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
    • PCL recovery blog
Re: Torn PCL
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 12:09:26 AM »
Welcome to the club. I tore my PCL about 5 or 6 years ago, and it took me a while to be able to fully bend my leg again. Now, I think it bends a little too much, because it's all loosey-goosey. I was OK though for a few years, I went back to ice skating, running, all that stuff. But then recently, it all started catching up to me, and I began having constant pain, and my knee would give out. So I bit the bullet and found a surgeon with PCL experience, and I'm having surgery on Nov. 23. So my experience is that it might be possible for a while, but eventually, it'll catch up to you. Although there are also people who have never needed to get their PCL fixed and go their whole lives just fine. I wasn't that lucky.
May 2005: Torn PCL, misdiagnosed as chondromalacia
April 2010: pain worse, lots of instability
Nov. 23, 2010: PCL reconstruction
progress here: http://pclrecovery.blogspot.com/

Offline bracebaz

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Torn PCL
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 03:00:10 PM »
Hi, sorry to hear about your knee,
I tore my pcl & lcl 10yrs ago then again nearly 4 yrs ago, the 2nd time was the worst injury, I had bad hyperextension problems for 2yrs, I used to wear a brace all day until this year, I kept persevering with p.t & eventually got back playing badmington, I use a brace for this, But my knee feels great @ the moment, people can live an active life with pcl damage without surgery it's how you manage your knee & being lucky I suppose
,lcl,mcl,pcl tears 2001
braced for 2yrs no surgery.
jan 07 disloction pcl grade 2, lcl beyond repair.
 2011 diagnosed medial OA
Brace user up to 18 hrs a day
Holding off PKR

support