Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Anterior knee pain. Operate or not ?  (Read 791 times)

Offline PMAC71

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Anterior knee pain. Operate or not ?
« on: August 19, 2010, 08:09:39 AM »
I am a 39 year old and have had pain in my left knee for over 5 years.
After several tests, I have now been placed on the waiting list for an operation.

I have doubts about having an op, mostly concerning my mobility longterm.

I will place my consultants recomendations further on in the post, but I'm after any advice or experiences that anyone may have had with similar surgery and wonder wether or not to seek a second opinion.

Thank you in advance.

SURGEONS REPORT:

Bone scan suggests some healing in the bi-partite patella
MRI suggests degenerate change, particularly with the cyst in the middle of the patella.

Probably a large part of his knee pain relates to the degeneration. I think however it would be worth excising this bi-parte fragment.

The plan is to arthroscope the knee, aiming to debride the patello femoral joint and then open excise the bi-parte fragment, probably leaving this as a lateral release. This may well decompress the patello femoral joint and hopefully this will improve thing for the patient

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: Anterior knee pain. Operate or not ?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 03:47:44 PM »
I just had arthoscopic surgery to debri my patella, thats pretty much all he did to me. My knee cap was in pretty bad shape. I choose to do the surgery because I am a amputee and this is my only knee, also the pain was making my life horrible. I think if you can't function without being miserable than you should consider the surgery. The fragment will not go away on its own so eventually you will probably end up in surgery anyway. It never hurts to get a second opinion when you are not sure about the first so if you can then I would. I am 17 days post surgery and doing ok. I was hoping for a bit more pain relief than this, so hopefully I am just still healing. It is a little soon for me to tell if this was a sucess for me. My knee cap tracks better now but I am having pain in the sides of my knee and can barely bend it. I am starting physical theraphy next week so we will see. Good Luck and I hope your pain goes away soon!
Right leg amputee.
Osteoarthritis in left knee.
Medial femoral condyle defect, arthoscopy 8-2-10
Grade 3 defects, patella, medial femoral condyle, tibia scoped1-12-2011
Physical theraphy and awaiting microfrature 2-1-12