Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Seen DR and need your advice  (Read 933 times)

Offline merlin803

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Seen DR and need your advice
« on: August 19, 2010, 12:51:16 AM »
A little bit of my background, I am 39 and have been having minor knee pain in both knees for a few years, mostly if kneeling, walking up stairs...etc  But nothing major.  I am a "week end warrior" type who plays sports.  Well, several months ago my right knee started hurting whenever I tried to run, jog.etc. which prevents me from running very hard ant it also swells up for a few days if I run or strain it which makes it very painful and hard to even walk without limping.

Well, I went to a sports Dr. and had X-rays and MRI done which did not reveal any tears or anything that stood out as a big issue.  The Dr. basically said that I do have a little less "cushion" than normal in the joints and possible arthritis and pretty much that I just need to live with it with the only options being a cortisone shot for temporary relief and Ibuprofin.

My question is, is it possible that this really is all just caused from arthritis at my age?  I agree that I probably have a little arthritis thing because I felt just a little bit of it in both knees before this happened but what is going on with my right knee does not compare to what the left knee is.  Is it possible that he is missing something??

Offline pats31

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Seen DR and need your advice
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 04:41:56 AM »
My advice would be to make sure you're taking gluclosamine to help the fact that you have less cartilage than normal. Also, be careful with ibuprofen since using it over an extended period of time in high doses can cause kidney problems. One option you can consider is prolotherapy. It's had mixed results but some claim that they have been able to avoid knee replacements from being bone on bone and return to their previous activities by the prolotherapy regrowing cartilage. If you get desperate it may be worth considering.

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 04:05:54 PM »
MRI's can miss things. My x rays showed a slight arthritic change, my mri showed a little arthritis and nothing more. I was told like you there was nothing they could do, he gave me a Synvice One shot and sent me on my way. It didn't work so I went back to him, he decided to do arthoscopic surgery. When he got in there he said my knee cap looked like a ice skating rink with grooves in it. He cleaned it up the best he could but said I will not be 100%. I think that the mri should have shown just a little more than some arthritis, but it didn't. I have also had someone on here respond to one of my post saying they missed a torn meniscus on thier mri.
Right leg amputee.
Osteoarthritis in left knee.
Medial femoral condyle defect, arthoscopy 8-2-10
Grade 3 defects, patella, medial femoral condyle, tibia scoped1-12-2011
Physical theraphy and awaiting microfrature 2-1-12

Offline merlin803

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 09:50:26 PM »
Thanks.  Sounds like it may be a good idea to get a second opinion...

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 06:04:10 PM »
Hi there,

I'd definitely be getting another opinion.

Sounds to me like it could be a tracking problem. If so, CT scans are best fir showing.

I think the OS you saw just doesn't like dealing with more difficult cases.

Would really encourage you to get another opinion from someone more experienced that is used to dealing with these types of cases.
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

support