Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: QUESTION ABOUT MY KNEE SURGERY NEXT WEEK!!!!  (Read 795 times)

Offline pats31

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
QUESTION ABOUT MY KNEE SURGERY NEXT WEEK!!!!
« on: August 20, 2010, 07:20:44 AM »
I'm having an open patella tendon debribement on tuesday. On the last mri I got from the spring everything in the knee besides the one spot on the patella tendon looked good. However, since then I've developed a lot of tightness on the inner side of my knee (what would be considered the mcl area). My question is this would it be realistic to ask the doctor to make sure that that area is okay since he is opening me up anyways and if there is any trouble I'd rather him find it? Would he still be able to look at this part of the knee if the incision (which will be a few inches) is over my patella tendon? For people who have had surgeries, did you see the doctor before you went under or no?

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 24
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
Re: QUESTION ABOUT MY KNEE SURGERY NEXT WEEK!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 02:42:25 PM »
Pats31, I think you should discuss your concerns with your doctor. Don't be afraid to speak up for yourself, a doctor is just a person and a good one will take your concerns to heart. Your doctor should be fully aware of everything that is going on within the knee, that just makes sense.

For my first surgery, I did see that doctor briefly, but honestly, that is not the time to be asking him/her to make changes/additions on the surgical procedure. That is like one step below calling an audible on the line of scrimmage LOL.

For my second surgery, I also talked to that doctor before I went under, but this time it was much less serious and intimidating and more fun. We were just chit-chatting BSing. I was already very well informed on the procedure, but we still went over it again, and then we were just small-talking which was very comforting and relaxing. I wouldn't have wanted to ruin that time with last minute "Oh can you look at this too while you are in there?!"

It makes more sense to me for you to bring your concerns to your doctor now so that any changes to the surgical procedure can be implemented now if necessary. Also, these guys work on a tight schedule already, and the schedule is made based on what is being done and how long it should take. So informing the doctor ahead of time gives them the ability to make changes to the surgical schedule if necessary.

Best of luck to you. Don't be afraid to speak up for yourself.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 02:47:41 PM by crankerchick »
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline tenisfan

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: QUESTION ABOUT MY KNEE SURGERY NEXT WEEK!!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 06:04:45 AM »
my doctors always came in before my surgeries and chatted with me to make sure i was doing okay and if i had any other questions. I always made it a point to see my doctors a week before surgery just to go over everything Pretty much when you knee is open they can see everything. Dont ever be afraid to ask your doctor questions. Thats there job.  Good luck on your surgery and i hope everything turns out okay!!!!!
2006 right knee surgery, meniscus
2008 left knee lateral release,  meniscus
2009 microfracture left knee, lateral meniscus,  fragment
2009 cartilage transplant oats
2010 loose fragment removal, meniscus fraying,found another defect
2010 oats failed, synvesic injections ,2011 right knee meniscus

support