Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 4 weeks in from my 3rd acl surgery  (Read 979 times)

Offline jvillegas1026

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
4 weeks in from my 3rd acl surgery
« on: August 18, 2010, 03:38:40 PM »
this is crazy that there is a message board for people with knee issues....and i mean that in a good way.. i wish i would've known about this a while ago... i just had acl reconstruction on July 23rd for the third time in my life now.. I'm 27 and am determined to make it work this time, no matter what i need to do.. i'm in miami and found an outstanding and well recommended surgeon so i am optimistic about this surgery..

anyway, i have had some clicking and cracking in my knee as i am starting to walk and was kind've hoping it was normal...i don't remember this ever happening before.. the physical therapist tells me it is normal and i don't see my doctor for another 2 weeks.. anyone know??

Thanks

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Re: 4 weeks in from my 3rd acl surgery
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 04:16:57 PM »
Hi there and welcom...... I had my aclr on the 19th July so I'm just a few days in front of your, and from what I've learned on this board is that there are no 2 recoveries the same, so its not surprising you are feeling some differences between this and your other recons.
I hope thid helps but I also have felt some cracking and popoing in my knee when I am walking around, mine is also very stiff and painfull if I stand or walk for longer than about an hour, have you found that as well??
Sorry you've had to go through this 3 times cos I'm finding once bad enough :o if you dont mind me asking what happened the last twice to make you have to go through it all again, I think there are a lot of us who post on here who worry about damaging the graft and having to have it redone, so any info about what to do and not to do would be appreciated.
Take care Tez
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 05:04:12 PM »
3rd ACL reconstruction - ouch! If you don't mind me asking, what grafts have you had for the various surgeries and how do they compare? I'm full of admiration at your perseverance - as Tez says, once seems bad enough.

I've also had all kinds of odd sensations in my knee since surgery. Popping, pulling, clicking - you name it, at some point I think I've had it going on. My PT is very reassuring each time I tell him about a new sensation, and says it's all par for the course. I think as the post-surgical swelling goes down you start to feel a lot of stiffness and pulling from residual surgical trauma.

Good luck with your recovery, and I hope things go well for you.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline jvillegas1026

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 05:19:36 PM »
Tez, thanks for replying to my post.   I tore my acl when i was 17 back in '99 playing basketball.  I tend to be someone that likes to jump and play against bigger people without maybe thinking that anything bad could happen.. I'm a little reckless... when i had this one done- i was young and went to an OS that was conveniently down the block from my house and was an older surgeon performing outdated techniques.. I had an autograft from my patellar tendon and my whole knee was ripped open ( not arthropscopic.. i guess before that arthroscopy became really popular)...  I did not know any better either way and went by what the doctor told me..  This surgery only lasted 3 years before i tore it playing basketball again...

2nd time i had arthroscopic acl surgery and i saw a different doctor this time.. i was pleased with my new doctor and probably blame this one on myself for not completing rehab for the full amount of time.  i started walking early, running early, playing early..  so even though you feel good, you should still complete the entire rehab...       football caused the last one 2 years ago...

here i am looking at my third surgery in 11 years.. i researched an excellent doctor who works on professional athletes so i am very optimistic..  i believe i will never stop trying to play sports.  i am little kid inside and really enjoy sports and competition.  I hope third time is the charm.

Offline jvillegas1026

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 05:59:59 PM »
snowy, whats up!  yea.. definitely takes a lot of perseverence, but i'll tell you its worth going through this and be able to be active than to sit on the sidelines.. it eats me up each time when i see people playing competitively. I'm always like " i would've made that" or just wanting to shut people up that swear they are so good. 

The past 2 acl's i got a graft from my hamstring ( 99% certain)...  i should know that. The first time was a patellar tendon..  The first time i noticed that i would get stiff more frequently and range of motion was tough...

Good luck to you too!  its awesome to know that people are going though the same.. Its not like you go outside and see people on crutches all the time or people with a scar on their knee..  thanks guys.

support