Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Had surgery and have a question.  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Had surgery and have a question.
« on: August 18, 2010, 03:34:36 PM »
I had arthoscopic surgery to clean up my knee cap on Aug. 2nd. I am doing pretty well still a bit sore and having some pain, but over all I am doing well. My question, is it common to have range of motion problems after arthoscopy? I couldn't straighten or bend my knee well before surgery so I was hoping it would fix the problem, I can almost get my knee fully straight but I can't bend it much at all. He is sending me to Physical Theraphy and he thinks that will help. Anyone have experience with this and how helpful physical theraphy was for you?
Right leg amputee.
Osteoarthritis in left knee.
Medial femoral condyle defect, arthoscopy 8-2-10
Grade 3 defects, patella, medial femoral condyle, tibia scoped1-12-2011
Physical theraphy and awaiting microfrature 2-1-12

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
Re: Had surgery and have a question.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 03:40:36 PM »
You are going to have swelling after the scope that will cause a decrease in  extention and flexion. Ice, elevation, and PT should help.

Best of luck,
Karen
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline Stasha83

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 04:19:04 PM »
I had similar surgery on 28/06/10 and still have very limited flexion and cant manage full extension. I did have MCL damage and hoffa pad removal so i'm not sure if that would make a difference. I was also in a brace to keep my leg fixed straight for 4 weeks which I'm sure has slowed me down.

Physio will help you, I go twice a week and am finally seeing some results. Just make sure that you do all the 'homework' that they give you.

Good luck
June 2010 - R knee TPF & Hoffa removal
Dec 2010 - R knee- Arthrofibrosis
Dec 2010 - L knee Myxoid degeneration of meniscus
Jan 2011 - R Knee 11 steroid injections & Synvisc1
Feb 11 - MUA & LOA
June 11- Steroid inj, EMG & nerve tests
Aug 11 - MUA & LOA
Feb 12 - R Knee denervation

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 04:27:27 PM »
Thank You all! I am happy to here that PT is helping you Stasha. I would think being in a brace for 4 weeks would make things a little stiffer for you. I was only in a brace for 2 days. I don't have much swelling you can see, so I didn't think it was do to swelling. My OS was surprised I can't bend my knee, that is why he is sending me to PT for evaluation and treatment. I am just ready like all of you are to be somewhat back to normal. Being a amputee and having my only knee out of commision is taking its toll on me. I just feel so worn down and completely helpless. My poor husband has been waiting on me hand and foot and honestly I don't like the attention, I like to be independent. How long did it take for you to notice the PT helping and did it help with any of your pain too?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 04:30:04 PM by Kimberly 77 »
Right leg amputee.

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 04:56:23 PM »
Glad to hear you're  doing well.

It's early days at the moment so don't worry too much about ROM, just keep at it.  I had most of my ROM back by 5 weeks and just about all of it at 10.  The hardest thing for me was getting hyperextension back, which came in somehwere around week 7 or 8.

All the best.
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 05:13:24 PM »
kscope, Thank You! And did you have to do any Physical Theraphy? I can't imagine someone trying to force my knee bent or anything like that so am wondering what kind of exercises they do with you. 7 or 8 weeks isn't too bad being I have been out for much longer than that.  Happy healing everyone! ;)
Right leg amputee.

Offline Stasha83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 05:17:46 PM »
I am desperate to be normal again but I am now facing surgery on the left knee for a torn meniscus so I think it may take me a while  :(

I do know how you feel and it is very tough but you will get there in the end I'm sure.

I began to see results from my physio sessions about 2 weeks ago, up until that point it had been pretty slow. I also go to the gym most days and see a rehab instructor as I have severe muscle wastage and I am sure that is making a big difference, I feel like my leg is getting stronger by the day. If you have a look on the internet there are lots of simple exercises you can do at home to strengthen your leg muscles. I'm not sure if the physio helps with my pain, I often get increased pain after a session but I think that is just because I am making it work and do things that it hasn't done for aout 2 months!
June 2010 - R knee TPF & Hoffa removal
Dec 2010 - R knee- Arthrofibrosis
Dec 2010 - L knee Myxoid degeneration of meniscus
Jan 2011 - R Knee 11 steroid injections & Synvisc1
Feb 11 - MUA & LOA
June 11- Steroid inj, EMG & nerve tests
Aug 11 - MUA & LOA
Feb 12 - R Knee denervation

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 10:26:57 PM »
I've had a lot of physio.  From the scope to week 7 I saw someone every week, after that it became fortnightly and then monthly.  I felt normal again in that knee in April so it took me 9 months but that was partly because I had plicas and a dodgy ac, not to mention my other leg was giving me helll.  I reckon if all I had was chrondoplasty then i'd have been normal by Xmas no problems but there we go.  My exercises early on were straigth leg raises 80 times, 3 times a daya nd 15 minutes of heel slides 3 times a day and by week 7 they were driving me mad.  After that i started doing squatts really really slowely and after that I was given lunges which I don't like.
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline roo222

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 10:51:12 PM »
Hey.

I had scope on April 22nd to clean up a meniscus tear (also diagnosed an ACL rupture). Like you, before i couldnt fully extend, and was very painful when i tried to force it, and I couldnt flex much either. I started off with gentle excercises from my PT, which helped a lot, i think i had pretty good ROM by about 2 weeks, with full hyper extension by about 5 weeks or so. It still does hurt to fully flex my knee, but i think thats more to do with my lack of ACL, than the scope!

I have to say, PT definately helped me a lot. From surgery i saw PT once or twice a week for the first month. I started out doing straight leg raises, heel slides and quad contractions every hour or so. Then, by about 3 weeks i think, i was doing gentle squats and one legged squats - only as much as i felt comfortable with. I would definately reccomend PT - even if its only to keep encouraging you and give you new excercises!!

I do remember flex being much harder to regain than extension - give yourself time and dont try and push it, it will come!

Best of luck
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 10:56:03 PM by roo222 »
March 2010: Torn ACL and meniscus damage to right knee (football)
April 2010: Arthroscopy to partially remove meniscus
October 14th: ACLr (hamstring graft) :)

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 03:08:46 PM »
Thanks so much for your replies! I have been doing straight leg raises and as told to hold for 10 seconds and do 20 sets like this 3 times a day. I also do quad contractions, the heel slides are very painful and it is impossible to even get my heel on the ground while laying down so I have been doing them sitting up. That is all I have been told to do for now. I haven't even made my PT appointment yet, because today was the first day back at school for my kids so have been much to busy to get to PT this week also yesterday was my first day back at work, but I plan on starting next week. Wish me Luck!
Right leg amputee.