Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Confused - MRI report and meniscus tear  (Read 1857 times)

Offline Stasha83

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Confused - MRI report and meniscus tear
« on: August 18, 2010, 09:38:45 AM »
Hello

I've just received back my MRI report for my left knee as follows:

There is horizontal abnormal signal in the posterior third of the medial meniscus reaching the inferior surface consistent with a tear
There is some subtle bone bruising in the medial aspect of the medial tibial plateau and in the tibial spine.
The rest is normal (luckily!)

I had surgery on my right knee on 28/06/10 and also had bone brusuing to my tibia so I understand that but the meniscus in the right was only contused.

I saw my physio yesterday and she advised that nowadays OS tend to leave meniscus tears for 6 weeks to see if they will heal but from what I have read on here and various other websites I understand that due to the blood supply being so poor they usually require surgery. Is my thinking correct for the tear reported in my scan? Or does it depend on the type and size of the tear?

My current symptoms are as follows:

A catching sensation when I walk and when I bend and straighten my leg, get up from sitting and going up and down stairs
Constant pain at the back of my knee, mostly on the right hand side
Pain at the front of the knee, mostly on the right hand side but occasionaly the left
My knee has locked 3 times (all during the first week following the injury)
The pain and catching feeling is preventing me from doing some of my rehab for my left knee, ie squats, step ups etc
The pain tends to get worse the more that I do, ie by the end of the day its pretty bad

I spoke to my OS secretary yesterday and he has advised her that he is going to get a second opinion on the scan as I think he is not convinced that the meniscus tear is really there. Im slightly confused as to why as I dont think my symptoms are just down to the bone brusuing, I would have thought that would have just caused some aches and pains? I should get the results of the second opinion on Friday so will be able to raise my concerns then but would appreciate any thoughts/advice in the meantime.

Many thanks
June 2010 - R knee TPF & Hoffa removal
Dec 2010 - R knee- Arthrofibrosis
Dec 2010 - L knee Myxoid degeneration of meniscus
Jan 2011 - R Knee 11 steroid injections & Synvisc1
Feb 11 - MUA & LOA
June 11- Steroid inj, EMG & nerve tests
Aug 11 - MUA & LOA
Feb 12 - R Knee denervation

Offline tenisfan

• Regular Poster
Re: Confused - MRI report and meniscus tear
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 04:58:24 PM »
All your symptoms are right on. Sometimes they can heal on there own. Now it is all going to depend on how much you can stand the catching and locking, and pain. I could not stand my catching and popping, i am just to active so i had to have mine fixed, and all that catching went away for a while. I am very active, so i have torn my meniscus quite a few times. In the mean time really ice alot, and try to build up your guad muscles that might help!!!!!! :)
2006 right knee surgery, meniscus
2008 left knee lateral release,  meniscus
2009 microfracture left knee, lateral meniscus,  fragment
2009 cartilage transplant oats
2010 loose fragment removal, meniscus fraying,found another defect
2010 oats failed, synvesic injections ,2011 right knee meniscus

Offline Stasha83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 05:10:24 PM »
Thanks so much for the reply, its good to hear that my symptoms are correct for the problem and that i'm not going insane!

I used to be pretty active, gym every day and walking my dogs but obviously since my surgery on the right knee I have not been able to do much and it is so frustrating, I want my life back  :(

I'm quite good with dealing with the pain, have had time to get used to it. The pain at the back of the knee is pretty intense though, I cant seem to escape it. It's the catching that I hate, it feels so horrible and I worry about it locking again.

After your surgery did your symptoms clear up totally? In particular the catching? And did you have to wear a brace? I really dont want to use the brace after only having it off the right leg for a week!

Thanks again  ;D
Feb 11 - MUA & LOA
Aug 11 - MUA & LOA

Online Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 405
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 05:47:47 PM »
I think I have said before that I had a partial menisectomy on my left knee in February (10-15% removed of the lateral meniscus) and although I have other ongoing issues, the meniscus fix was successful - the catching, locking ( I couldn't straighten it properly for the whole 5 months), grinding (I wore some of it away too), and worst of all buckling feeling while walking have stopped.  If the issue is causing trouble and restricting your daily life, I would consider having another arthroscopy to see if there is indeed an issue with the meniscus and if it can either be repaired (this will depend on the state of the tissue and probably your age) or trimmed back to help the symptoms.  My OS said that the meniscus related pathology symptoms are generally easy to resolve surgically.  The pain at the back of knee could be a baker's cyst, fairly common with meniscus tears apparently.

MRIs aren't always that accurate, plenty of false positives, a scope is really the only way to be sure I guess.

I was back in the gym around 4 weeks post op (have had to stop again, but not due to the meniscus), cycling initially with low resistance but working up to the stepper, rower and XT (not too full on and 15 to 20 minutes on each).  I have never been able to get back on the treadmill to either walk or jog but again, due to the other cartilage damage.

Good luck :)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 05:50:27 PM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Stasha83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 05:54:33 PM »
Hi Vickster

Thanks for the reply, you did indeed tell me your story on my previous post where I was speculating about a tear.

It is restricting my daily life as I just cant seem to progress with either knee and the pain and catching just wont go away. I think I am leaning towards the surgery but will see what my OS says on Friday. I get the feeling that he will lean towards seeing if it will heal naturally but after nearly 3 weeks i'm yet to see any improvement so am not keen to keep waiting when chances are it will need to be repaired.

I hope you are improving and have found a solution to your issues?  :)
Feb 11 - MUA & LOA
Aug 11 - MUA & LOA

Offline tenisfan

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 09:15:15 PM »
my catching and popping did go away after surgery i also had a loose fragment that somehow lodged its way into the joint. I did not have to wear a brace. It was a pretty easy surgery for me Did rehab to strengthen and 4 to 6 weeks of just being careful :)  Good luck
2006 right knee surgery, meniscus
2008 left knee lateral release,  meniscus
2009 microfracture left knee, lateral meniscus,  fragment
2009 cartilage transplant oats
2010 loose fragment removal, meniscus fraying,found another defect
2010 oats failed, synvesic injections ,2011 right knee meniscus

support