Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Road Trip??? How many weeks after ACLr & meniscal repair/debridement  (Read 1265 times)

Offline BlueTopaz_ZA

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
Hi

Surgery is on Thursday 19th Aug. Depending on what OS finds, it will either be a debridement or repair of the meniscus.
Will have brace at 0 degrees, locked.
Weight bearing will depend on the meniscus, could be as long as 4 weeks NWB.

Would 23 September be overly ambitious to attempt a 400km round trip (over a long weekend)? ???

Have NO idea what to expect from meniscal repair, so far have not read very good outcomes from this  :-\
29.09.06 - Motorcycle accident - broken fibula, meniscus, ACL rupture, left leg
01.10.06 - surgery: ankle, screws & plate, meniscal debridement
29.01.07 - ACLr
All going well until ...
28.07.10 - bad landing on trampoline!
03.08.10 - MRI, ruptured L ACL & torn meniscus
19.08.10 - ACL revision

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Re: Road Trip??? How many weeks after ACLr & meniscal repair/debridement
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 01:57:08 AM »
I have two coworkers who had meniscus repairs in the last year or so with excellent results - one of them was back riding her bike in two weeks. Tony1233 (a fellow knee geek) just had his repaired and walked 5k five days after surgery. I think there are always bad luck stories, and the one down side of reading too many threads on this board is that a lot of the longer term posters are people who have had difficulties or poor outcomes. There are many, many success stories out there, and my understanding is that unless the meniscus is badly damaged it's a fairly straightforward surgery with a good success rate.

Hmm...I'm thinking about how I would feel about a 400k trip now, as I'm just about at the same point where you'd be doing it. I'd say it's quite possible, but make allowances for the fact that you'll want to get out of the car and stretch the knee out fairly regularly. Spending a long time in the car wouldn't be my favourite way to spend time at the moment, but it would certainly be manageable if I had my heart set on it. :)
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline BlueTopaz_ZA

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 07:45:08 AM »
 ;) thanks Snowy for your response.

It does help to measure progress against others, provided the circumstances are similar, and I will keep your suggestion in mind. I kinda do have my heart set on it, as my boyfriend works out of the country, and by the time he gets home, he will have been gone 10 weeks, in fact the whole time I have been injured and the first 4 weeks post op :o
By then I will have serious cabin fever and be wanting to get out and about a little.

I will have a look at Tony1233's posts to get some idea of what to expect.

Tata for now. A good day to everyone. :)

29.09.06 - Motorcycle accident - broken fibula, meniscus, ACL rupture, left leg
01.10.06 - surgery: ankle, screws & plate, meniscal debridement
29.01.07 - ACLr
All going well until ...
28.07.10 - bad landing on trampoline!
03.08.10 - MRI, ruptured L ACL & torn meniscus
19.08.10 - ACL revision

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 02:34:45 PM »
I'm thinking your going to be the only one who can determine if you can do it - and your surgeon.  And you won't know until closer to the date, either.  I'm 4 weeks out post surgery and Sunday we went for a 45 minutes car ride - that was more than enough for me and the knee.  It all depends.  You must get out and move or you will feel rotten - that's just a given.  Good Luck. eagle

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 405
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 02:43:35 PM »
I don't think it should be too much trouble from the point of view of the meniscus repair/trim (I was back at work and sat at a desk 3 weeks after I had a trim) but the folks on here who have had an ACLr repair seemn to suffer with quite a lot of soreness and stiffness sat with the knee bent for some time post op.

As above, only you will know.  I would keep plans fluid if you can...or make the bf come to you with flowers, chocs and grapes and take you out and spoil you rotten ;)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up