Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Continuing problems following surgeries!!!  (Read 908 times)

Offline steveo1903

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Continuing problems following surgeries!!!
« on: August 15, 2010, 11:19:22 PM »
Hi all,

Just want to post about my current situation and hopefully get some help.

I had a right knee meniscectomy in august 2009. It was a trim of the meniscus on the outer side at the very back of the knee. This was somewhat successful and for the first time in years I was able to fully straighten my knee. However I still felt that it wasnt right and in lot of pain and rehab was very slow.

In Febuary time I again experienced major pain on the inside of my right knee. The MRI showed a tear towards the inside of the meniscus and underwent another operation in may. My surgeon again trimmed the area on the outside rear and removed a band of inflammed tissue around the front of the joint line and knee cap. The tear that showed in the MRI had healed quite well and my surgeon had a good look and prod at it and was happy with the menisus at this point.

After this operation I felt things were alot better and recovery and rehab were going very well. I was doing alot of non wieght bearing gym and physio work. After 5 weeks i felt strength and very little pain in my knee. At this point I returned to work. I work in a lab so am on my feet for a lot of hours every day and have to move cyclinders and other equipment.

Upon returning to work for around a week my knee began to swell and have serious pain within it. Any weight bearing activity causes major inculding standing or walking for even short periods. Even when am cycling in the gym my knee can become painful. This has meant that i havnt been able to work since june time and is starting to really get to me!

My consultant has said that adhesions have formed in the joint and some bleeding within the joint itself is occuring. This was the last time I spoke with him towards the beginning of July. He advised keep weight off it with icing and anti-infllammatories. For walking has given my 1 crutch to help take the weight off of the knee and suggested that this would just take some time to heal.

I have followed all of my physio and consultants adivce this far and havnt seen any improvment at all. I have another appointment this week to review progress and deciede what happens next.

Any opinions, comments or suggestions are most welcome as I am starting to get to the stage where am wondering if my knee will ever be in a state to allow me to go about doing normals things again!!

Cheers

Steve

Offline BlueTopaz_ZA

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
Re: Continuing problems following surgeries!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 09:20:16 PM »
Hi Steve

This must be incredibly demoralising for you. When is yr appt?
I hope u get more answers, than u have thus far.
Wish I had more to add, but cannot say I have had an experience like this.

Keep us posted.
29.09.06 - Motorcycle accident - broken fibula, meniscus, ACL rupture, left leg
01.10.06 - surgery: ankle, screws & plate, meniscal debridement
29.01.07 - ACLr
All going well until ...
28.07.10 - bad landing on trampoline!
03.08.10 - MRI, ruptured L ACL & torn meniscus
19.08.10 - ACL revision

Offline steveo1903

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 02:31:34 PM »
BT

Thanks for the reply. Your right I think its starting to get to me a bit. Everybody been good around me and that but i just feel they dont understand whats going on and its not just a bit of a sore knee!

Appointment is thursday and kinda got mixed feelings about it. But will just have to and see what my OS opinion is.

I notice you are having surgery later in the week. Hope that and your recover go well.

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 02:41:30 PM »
Hang in there. I'm in the same boat as you.  I'm still on 1 crutch - people say "why."  I'd never ask that but they do. I personally know I heal very very slowly and had a lot of work done. We are each different. Hang in there. I see my ortho on Thur and we are going to have a good discussion because I'm not leaving there without it! Last visit he blew in and blew out - won't happen again.  I have questions for him - just as you do for your appointment.  Let us know.  eagle

support