Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Recumbant vs upright bike  (Read 1866 times)

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Recumbant vs upright bike
« on: August 14, 2010, 08:43:49 PM »
My first knee surgery 6 years ago I purchased a Schwinn recumbent bike.  Frankly I've ridden the thing to death, so time for something new.  The os doesn't care if I have a recumbent or upright - just something to do daily, and I agree.  My pt person thinks the upright is better because its also a cardo workout once knee is moving correctly.  However I know the recumbent is easier, shall we say, on the sore old crappy knees.  Whats the opinion of everyone here?  I don't want a cheap piece - because I will use it daily and want it to last.  Thoughts?  eagle

Offline Frank Lawler

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Recumbant vs upright bike
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 11:03:31 PM »
On an upright bike, as the knee comes over the top of the pedal stroke, the next 90 deg or so of motion, as the foot is pushed forward, are pretty much a leg extension, which places more strain on the joint than does the next part of the pedal stroke, which is more similar to a leg press and not quite as hard on the knee. On a recumbent, this  partial leg extension occurs as the foot is lifted to it's highest point in the pedal stroke, which means that it now takes place against gravity. This might add a liitle more strain to the knee
The pedaling motion on an upright bike also tends to more fully engage the large muscle groups in the back of the legs and hips, which might more fully support the knee.
Hope this makes some sense.
2002 LR both knees
2009 Synovectomy both knees
2010 Patella Realignment right knee

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 02:36:28 AM »
Oh yes it does, thanks for the info.  Went today to sports type of store and frankly they had their store brand and it was junk.  Got to look on line and find a real sports store I'd guess. I tried both - both felt cheap, plastic and like they were poorly made.

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 06:09:48 AM »
Check with your local gym or Y.  Sometimes they sell off their equipment with new models become available or they may be able to put you in contact with their equipment dealers.
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS

Offline BlueTopaz_ZA

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 01:02:17 PM »
Good 2 know, as I plan to make full use of my gym as part of my PT post op.
29.09.06 - Motorcycle accident - broken fibula, meniscus, ACL rupture, left leg
01.10.06 - surgery: ankle, screws & plate, meniscal debridement
29.01.07 - ACLr
All going well until ...
28.07.10 - bad landing on trampoline!
03.08.10 - MRI, ruptured L ACL & torn meniscus
19.08.10 - ACL revision

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 24
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 06:37:51 PM »
Upright unless you have a limitation so that the recumbent makes more sense. If you are physically able to do the upright, I would go with that. In my experience it is a better workout for the knee than the recumbent.
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline slyguy1

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 06:58:39 PM »
If you are looking for quality.....precor is one of the best i've seen (pricey)...my gym just got new lifestyle upright bikes with fancy high tech workouts and the seat is ultra comfortable....can't run so my cardio is the bike....good luck

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 02:37:20 PM »
Thanks everyone. I'm going to the gym - I'm "allowed" from pt 12 total minutes.  So I'm doing 6 minutes on upright then 6 minutes on recumbent and see if I can determine anything.  Then I'm heading up the road to a fitness place and seriously start looking.  Last night I would have given anything to be able to stretch this *&%@ knee out!  eagle 

Offline Redhead67

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 08:47:02 AM »
Hi asked my physio last week about this, he advises the upright bike.  My ROM is around 114 as of last week and 6 months after accident fractured patella, and 8 weeks ago had wires removed and arthroscopy(1 screw left in).
Ive been thinking of buying a 2nd hand rower, good for an all over workout, but wondering if anyone has any advise on this, would a rower be as beneficial for knees or could it be a bit risky.
Cheers
Lesley
ps I still cant walk too far without pain/ache, look forward to knee feeling normal, whenever that will be.
21/2/2010 had fall fractured patella admitted emergency hospital
22/2/2010 operation - wires figure 8 and screw - full leg brace
8/3/2010 staples removed
6/4/2010 brace off 6 weeks
10/5/2010 OS visit wires causing grief
24/6/2010 op. wire removed and arthroscopy

Offline k66yla

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 08:37:26 AM »
Hi
I bought an upright bike yesterday. I've apparently torn my lateral meniscus (awaiting MRI results). I thought it maybe good to exercise my leg as I'm scared of riding my road bike incase my knee locks up. Have I done the right thing bearing in mind the injury is'nt fixed yet? Have only done 2 x 10 mins on it so far and have some serious clicking going on in my knee  :-\  Am I likely to make the injury worse? I just want to try and make my leg stronger.
April 83 - Right Knee Trauma
             2 Broken Wrists
1999    - Lateral Release Left Knee
Nov 10 - Anterior HornTear & Parameniscal Cyst Athroscopy Left Knee

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 24
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 01:05:53 PM »
Its always best to ask your doctor since different doctors have different rules, but in general, You should be fine to ride the bike. In fact, its one of the things you should be doing to keep the knee strong and keep your ROM prior to your surgery.
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 05:14:07 AM »
My new bike is being delivered tomorrow.  I tried to stick within a budget but then................  What happened was I decided my knee's / walking / stability / strength are worth something to me.  I decided since a regular type bike lasted 6 years if I went higher quality with huge warranty it will outlast me! I'm sure thing will do everything - and sadly for awhile all I can do is 10 min 2x's daily.  But that too will get better and I'm a happy camper. eagle

support