Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: General anesthesia or epidural for total knee replacement  (Read 3568 times)

Offline lindalovano

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
General anesthesia or epidural for total knee replacement
« on: August 13, 2010, 06:17:09 PM »
I was going to go for the epidural so I wouldn't be completely under, but now I'm not sure.
Does anyone have any comments on this issue?

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Re: General anesthesia or epidural for total knee replacement
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 03:18:28 PM »
I had a general for my scope and found it was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. You will wake up and feel like you have got a hangover but that soon goes away. If you ok about being awake during the surgery then go for the epidural thats less of a shock for your body to recover from.

I found just before going under felt fairly nice and other members have said the same thing. Its up to you what you think you would rather go for and also depends what the OS wants. as some prefer you ro be asleep.

Nick :) {2010} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline MariaT

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 03:29:31 PM »
Hi! I've had all different combinations during my various surgeries and I say that general with a femoral block in the leg of the knee being worked on is my favorite:D I didn't get the femoral block until I woke up from the latest surgery but I would ask for it to be done while under General next time. It's a little weird so better off not experiencing it awake if given the opportunity! I woke up from surgery and they weren't able to control my pain with IV Dilaudid (maxed out on dose) so they gave me the block and it all went away....ahhhh! Plus it lasted for a day:) The epidural is a really strange feeling in my opinion....I don't like the fact that I can't feel my bum! Freaked me out! The block won't dull pain behind the knee but it still knocks out a decent amount & it lasts during those first 24 hours which are most painful. Good luck!
Maria
9/11/07 bi-lateral knee dislocations, recon MCL's , ACL's, postero-lateral corners. 7/07 most hardware removed.
2 1/2 yrs later still in pain & having instability.
7/10 bone grafts R knee-pending ACL revision
1/11 ACL revision w/BPB autograft

Offline Redwing

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 03:55:46 PM »
Big question Linda but for me it was  it was a no contest.  General anaesthetic without any regrets for me.  Unless you fancy hearing a drill and a saw sawing through your bones that is! I've heard others on here say they were glad they didn't have a GA but passing the time of day with the surgical team while they are  practically cutting my leg off wasn't for me. Ooooh no. With the GA you wake up and it's all done.  I also had a nerve block which numbs your leg for up to 24 hours.  It means it delays getting on your feet the next day, which some say slows the recovery. 
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 03:57:27 PM by Redwing »
2001: first referral to OS for osteoarthritis in knees after about 5 years of OA pain.  Told I was too young for knee replacement.
July 2009 Bilateral arthroscopy
Jan 2010 TKR-right knee

Offline anniehine

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 07:13:16 PM »
Hi Linda, I had a trochleoplasty and they wanted to do an epidural with sedation but I wriggled too much apparently (I went in being scared of having an epidural) and they had to give me a full general which was fine by me. I think the risks are higher with a general which is why they prefer to give alternatives but if you are healthy then go for the general.  It also means that you wont need a catheter which is nice :-) I was on a ward with a woman who had had a TKR and she had epidural with sedation and remembered hearing the drilling noises.  NO THANKS!  I'd go for a general :-)
Left knee started dislocating at 7 years old
Hypermobile
Arthroscopic scope April 2009
Trochleoplasty at 28 years old (10.2.10)
Did 1st SLR 1.4.10 WHOOP!!
Walked through house without crutches (12.4.10) very pleased with myself!!

Offline English Lady

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 05:11:47 PM »
No contest for me. The surgery lasts a long time and you do not want to hear the sound of a saw. you will also feel tugging and pulling. I had the general and a nerve block ,and awoke feeling quite perky with a dead leg. Had no after effects from the op at all.
Good Luck.

Offline RPT25

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 11:19:56 PM »
I just had surgery a week ago and was debating the same exact thing you were. If you have not had any problems with GA in the past or if this is your first time going under and none of your immeditate family memebers have had issues, I would hands down to the GA. They give you something before you even go in for the surgery to relax and from that point on it is very easy. You will be out and not even know it. No reason to fear going under.