Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Shoulda known better ... but that's life! Live & Learn  (Read 1488 times)

Offline BlueTopaz_ZA

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
Shoulda known better ... but that's life! Live & Learn
« on: August 13, 2010, 02:14:21 PM »
Hi All  :)

I am a 39-year old female. Had an ACL repair to my left knee 3.5 years ago, after a motorcyle accident in which I also broke my ankle, and it went exceptionally well. I fully recovered within 6 months, and had full extension (in fact I have overextension) and was running again, and didnt feel any weakness in the knee after it had completely healed. I worked really hard at keeping up my fitness and strength.

3 weeks ago, I tore the same ACL and tore my medial meniscus, at tumbling (gymnastics) club, when I landed badly on the trampoline.
Have had an MRI confirming this diagnosis. Turns out the meniscus is in Zone 2 which apparently means it is repairable, which is good, but quite daunting in the short term, due to the post operative protocol spelt out to me by my phsyio - no weight bearing for 4 weeks  :o

Feel soooo stupid  :-[ for participating in an activity which was clearly risky, but nevertheless, what's done is done.

Bearing in mind, I am not a professional athlete, do not compete in any competitive sport, but do enjoy keeping fit (weight training, swimming, running - all at very normal levels) and am very active at home with my daughter and dogs and DIY.

I think one of the thoughts that bothered me most, was the potential long term damage I could sustain, by walking around with this unstable knee, and that as I get older, my muscles may not compensate as much for the lacking ACL.

I have had a horrid 3 days trying to decide whether to have ANY surgery, never mind the whole 9 yards! To add to this, my knee actually started feeling better and I was alot more mobile.
But after reading and asking LOTS of questions (even though I have been through it before, I was completely overwhelmed at the thought of surgery again), I have decided to go ahead with the ACL reconstruction (using allograft, as we cannot use my hamstring again), and whatever the OS decides to do to my meniscus.

I spoke to my PT, who said they would be using the knee-brace method (no flexion at first) and no weight bearing at first either. I will be allowed to remove the brace for my PT at home. They also make use of hydro-therapy (exercise in a pool) which I found very useful last time.

I am so frustrated & scared - I am a single Mom, live alone, so the post op is going to be very difficult in terms of no driving, taking care of my daughter, school, cooking, etc. I have had to put all these plans in place to get various people to assist me. My sister is flying down to help me, and now that I have made the decision, things are going ahead at a rapid pace! Seems it may be as soon as next Thursday (19th Aug).

I have found some really good info on this board, and some handy lists of things to have for my immediate post-op.

I look forward to catching up with all of you, and good luck to everyone in your various phases ...

29.09.06 - Motorcycle accident - broken fibula, meniscus, ACL rupture, left leg
01.10.06 - surgery: ankle, screws & plate, meniscal debridement
29.01.07 - ACLr
All going well until ...
28.07.10 - bad landing on trampoline!
03.08.10 - MRI, ruptured L ACL & torn meniscus
19.08.10 - ACL revision

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Re: Shoulda known better ... but that's life! Live & Learn
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 09:23:00 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear about your re-injury. Having just gone through my first ACL reconstruction, I can't imagine confronting another one with the added complication of the meniscus damage. I think it's extremely brave of you to have dealt with the realities of this head-on, even though it means facing more surgery. At least you know exactly what you need to do for the ACL rehab, and I'm sure having gone through a successful rehab previously will stand you in really good stead for this one. The healing process takes a bit longer for an allograft, but comes with the advantage of not having to heal up a donor site as well as the knee.

As for risky activities...I think one of the main reasons most of us have gone through this surgery is to get back to doing the sports we love, even though for many of us that means returning to the same venue where we caused our injuries! For all that I would hate to ever go through this again, I hate the thought of not skiing far more. Plus which accidents happen, regardless of the measures you take to protect yourself; one of our fellow Knee Geeks who also just had an ACL replacement ruptured hers coming down the stairs.

I wish you all the best...do keep us posted on how your journey goes. Fingers crossed that your recovery will be as swift as possible, and as successful as last time.

Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline BlueTopaz_ZA

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 12:20:56 PM »
Thanks Snowy

Was wondering if anyone has had much success/improvement by taking joint supplements which contain Glucosamine and Chondroitin. Cant hurt right? I wish I had thought of it straight after the injury, but these things take time anyway.

Just when I talk myself into the fact that I feel SOOOO much better, I will have pain, tiredness or just plain lack the ability to do anything much beyond walking. I know I need this, and I am just trying to make peace and trust that the outcome, over time, will be good.

One things for certain, I am FAR more prepared this time around and am organising things at home, to make the 4 weeks ahead alot easier.

29.01.07 - ACLr
All going well until ...
19.08.10 - ACL revision

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 08:35:00 PM »
So sorry for your injury.  Don't beat yourself up over the injury. Heck you were living life - which is what you want to do.  Having said that everyone second guesses surgery - its never fun.  Positive outlook and you'll be blowing and going in no time.  All be it not on a trampoline!  The Glucosamine and Chondroitin reviews say its good to do.  My os suggested it several time. Of course I didn't listen.  Just yesterday at pt the pt guy ask about it - I got my butt handed to me for not doing them.  He says the results are "natural" so why not do it.  It might not help the knee but possibly help some other joint.  I'm going to the store and get some.  Glad your sister can help out. Its never good to need help  but I've found people always want to help. I have trouble asking for help but once I did - pretty overwhelming response from my friends.  Matter of fact they pretty much took over! Fill us in - eagle

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 03:03:30 AM »
I've been taking glucosamine and chondroitin since shortly after my ACL tear. I honestly don't know what difference they've made, as my knee hasn't really felt normal since that happened (I had four months of intensive prehab, and then surgery) but I figure they can't hurt, and if they are helping then so much the better. :)
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline ajparis

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 04:03:26 AM »
glucosamine or not to glucosamine...  My os said, can't hurt, but not clear that it will help. He felt concern that his patients who are on limited income might spend $40 or more per month out of pocket with no guarantee.

I guess it's a gamble.

lots of positive vibes for your upcoming procedure!

aj

Offline BlueTopaz_ZA

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 12:56:23 PM »
 8) Thanks for all the awesome and supportive replies, so glad I joined this forum!

Have made lists of everything to remember up to Thursday, what to take, various chores assigned to friends - spot on Eaglemom - everyone has been so amazing, and I know with their help, the next 4 weeks should be less complicated!

I will keep you all posted.

Tata for now

29.01.07 - ACLr
All going well until ...
19.08.10 - ACL revision

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 03:15:28 PM »
Excellent product that you might need.  www.crutchbuddies.com

I don't work for them, or anything, just love their products.  I love the pouch they have for the crutches, can't tell you how helpful it is for not much money.  Anything to help is good I think.  Look up the website and see what you think.  Eagle

Offline BlueTopaz_ZA

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 09:11:14 AM »
Thanks. had a look, always wondered if something like this existed!!!  ;D

Unfortunately not in the US, but will see if there is something locally.

Did my pre-admission and all my forms this morning. Its happening!!!!
29.01.07 - ACLr
All going well until ...
19.08.10 - ACL revision

support