Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patella fracture & repair 8 years ago-tremendous pain NO INSURANCE-advice please  (Read 2542 times)

Offline Mrs.W

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
THIS IS AFFECTING MY QUALITY OF LIFE!!!!!

Hi Im Cris.. I fractured my left patella in 2002- Fell down a flight of concrete stairs- though still managed to drive myself to the ER in
my 5 speed GTI... with my then 5 year old daughter in tow, convinced I had only dislocated it- only to be told that all I had was a hematoma.  After making a big fuss, I got an xray to confirm a horizontal fracture. Fought for 3 days with insurance company for surgery which was finally approved. Had surgery,  wires & screws, and 8 years later, all I can say is that I have been in PAIN. I also believe my left quad is atrophied (sp?) I went to PT 3 times  but when the freaky woman decided that the result of my accidents (I also fell off a horse in 91 and shattered my left ankle requiring surgery) was 'weak stomach muscles' and began deep tissue masage of my abdomen, my young and stubborn mentality took me running out of that place determined to do it on my own.

Now I am 34 year old stay at home mom of 3, & I have no insurance. I NEED to do something about this I can't live like this anymore. I am in constant pain. I m reasonably active working out at a gym 3-4 times a week... I have a pretty wide range of motion considering ... & I don't limp anymore... up & down stairs just fine. (down took a while to master) but pain sometimes keeps me up at night & Im NOT a pill popper so I try to stretch it out to no avail.

I am pretty sure the hardware removal would really help because I had the hardware in my ankle removed the year prior to the patella fracture and the pain there is now minimal... only when it rains

I suppose I'm just needing some emotional support from those who understand my predicament... AND ADVICE ON WHETHER ANYONE MIGHT KNOW WHETHER I MIGHT QUALIFY FOR DISABILITY?

Sincerest thanks to all who take the time to read and respond!

Offline MPFLgirl

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
From your description you would not appear to qualify for disability. You can apply, anyone can apply. Your condition would probably be assessed as you being able to do sedentary work and since your 30, your age would not qualify you as an allowance. I would contact your county assistance office and see if you can get medical assistance. If your not working and you have 3 kids, you should be able to qualify for a medical assistance card. Good luck and I am sorry you are in so much pain. Being in pain sucks.
MPFL reconstruction with lateral release and hamstring autograft 8/11/10

Offline Mrs.W

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Thank you :)

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Depending on the family's income level, you may be able to qualify for some form of medical assistance, but I can tell you from personal experience, they generally don't cover orthopedic issues under medicaid/medically needy unless it's so bad it keeps you from working, so the only way you'd have a chance is with your county social services unit, which is how a friend of mine got his knee surgery after a motorcycle wreck and he had no insurance.

You have to play your cards carefully with these agencies, if you've never dealt with them before. Don't ever volunteer information is the first piece of advice. Answer there questions with the minimum of information, no more. These agencies have too many people to help on a limited budget, and the goal is to weed out as many as they can possibly deny services to, as much as no one will ever admit that out loud.

I hope you can get your local agency to help, as getting something done will make your life better, even if in the agency's eyes, the goal would be to make you employable, even if the reality is that you couldn't earn enough to pay the cost of day care... yeah, I know how the math works, so it's more cost effective to stay home with the kids while dh works until they're all in school... but you can't tell them that, or they won't help. Like I said, you gotta know what to say or not say with the social service agencies in order to get them on your side.... unfortunately that's how the game is played.

I wish you luck!
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline KneeDragger

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Hello there,
I wanted to make a correction from one of the other posters.
Your age does not disqualifi you from being deemed disabled.
I was 28 when I received social security disability. Your age is taken in consideration but there is no cut off number, just as long as you have worked.
To those of you who are not %100 sure of important information keep it to yourself or at least say 'In my opinion'..... You never know who is hanging on your word and may take what you say as truth.

support