Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 6Weeks Post knee reconstruction questions. Pls help  (Read 999 times)

Offline newbadboy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
6Weeks Post knee reconstruction questions. Pls help
« on: August 11, 2010, 02:23:50 PM »
Hello.

My mother is 65 and have done total knee plastic.

It has now been 6 weeks since surgery and she can walk pretty good. Also the knee movement is acceptible. She can bend it more than 90deg and almost have it fully straight.

Her big problem is that the leg fels numb, she sometimes feels sharp pain, burning, itching and like if smal insects are creeping allover and other wierd feelings. These feelings are all over her leg, below the knee.

Her ankle is also still swollen. Also if she stands up the leg "goes to sleep" after a short while (appx 30sec) it feels like if you sit on your hand for a longer time..... if she is in bed she has to move every 5 min to avoid that the leg goes to sleep, even in bed sometimes goes to sleep a while. Is there anything to do with this, is it dangeorus and will it ever become better?
She is very depressed and stressed because it has been like this the last 2-3 weeks without any bigger improvement.

Please tell me if there is anyone with similar expirience and what progress/ problems u people have had

Thank you.

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
Re: 6Weeks Post knee reconstruction questions. Pls help
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 02:14:55 PM »
It is fairly common for this to happen.  It is most likely the nerves in her leg trying to heal.  I had weird sensations while mine came back and still have a spot that feels strange when touched and another that feels numb still (This spot is from a previous knee surgery though, so don't think it's coming back.).  She should talk to her OS about it though.  Hopefully that will start to diminish in the next few weeks.  It does make your leg feel foreign though.  She should elevate the leg above her heart when she can to reduce the swelling in the ankle.  The knee and ankle may swell a lot for a while longer.  Ice and elevation help for that.  She sounds like she is doing wonderful otherwise.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline newbadboy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 08:16:03 AM »
Thank you for the answer.

For how long time appx did you have these wierd feelings.?

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 01:35:29 PM »
A few weeks or so.  Then I would get them every so often but not as bad as at first.  Still feels a little off on the lateral side, but I don't notice it anymore.  It does feel mighty weird when it first happens.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt

Offline newbadboy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 09:36:57 AM »
Ok i understand.

As i said before, my mom still feels it after more than 7weeks and nobody else seem to have had problems as long as her. That's why we are worried.
Damn it

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 08:19:36 PM »
If it does not seem to be getting any better, check with the OS.  There are a quite a few nerves in there and everyone is a little different so one may be way more irritated that what they expect.  It is a rotten feeling to be sure.  Hope it is begining to fade for her.  If the OS does not have a good answer, maybe she can see a neurologist. 
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt